Author Topic: Plains 300  (Read 3527 times)

Plains 300
« on: 16 April, 2016, 12:00:04 pm »
It looks like we're in for a dry but cold night, although I might get a little wet if I ride to the start.  Here's hoping that the coffee machine at Whitchurch McDs is not out of action being cleaned when we arrive, unlike last year.  Headwind out, tailwind back - ideal.

Re: Plains 300
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:16:43 pm »
That's good news Mike!  :thumbsup:

Whitchurch McDs did say that if we let them know we are coming they will be prepared.

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »
It should only be cold for when it's dark. Met Office reckons, that as soon as the sun puts in an appearance, temperatures should rocket to a sweltering 7 degrees. I'll be availing myself of the changing facilities at Dinky's number 2.

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2016, 07:17:09 pm »
It's a great ride.  Good luck, everyone!

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:15:56 pm »
It was a great ride! Much kudos to the organiser!

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »
I had a great ride despite snapping my rear gear cable just short of Whitchurch.  As I was able to turn the small cog over, and knew that there wasn't anything too massive to climb (the clue is in the title) I continued for the remaining 240km and finished successfully with plenty of time for a coffee from Costa at Poynton before it closed.  I had to walk up a few small inclines, such as Radnor Bank after the Dane crossing on the way back, and I avoided the "Col de Birtles" by using the A34 from Redesmere to Wilmslow (narrow and busy, but the cycleway on the Alderley bypass is a treat).

Oddily enough, the front cable snapped later on.

Here's the question - is a light-weight bike with internal gear cables unsuitable as an Audax bike?  I've changed cables mid-ride previously on more traditional machines, but a road-side repair this time looked tricky.  Should I consider zip-tying cable-outers to the frame?  I've always been wary of racing-lead innovations, where the pros just need to call for the team car or just hop onto a new bike, options not available to me on an Audax.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2016, 01:47:57 pm »
Snapping a cable is unfortunate, but snapping two cables looks like carelessness.  You might want to check the condition of your brake cables!  ;)  Or just replace them anyway, I would.

I know triple chainrings are deeply unfashionable on a road bike, but they have this advantage, that if a rear cable snaps you can very quickly just jam the mech** into a middle position and then continue on a 3-speed bike.  I've several times snapped a cable on an event in the old days, but only once (on a 600) did I bother to replace it with the spare I always carried.  (These days I never snap cables, because as a matter of routine I replace them much more frequently.)

** jamming the mech - with any parallelogram type mech, front or rear, all you need is a bit of roadside detritus such as a small pebble or a short bit of stick, to jam the mech into an intermediate position.  You can be on your way again inside 20 seconds, though disposing of the snapped cable ends may take a bit longer.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:28:58 am »
I had a great ride despite snapping my rear gear cable just short of Whitchurch.  As I was able to turn the small cog over, and knew that there wasn't anything too massive to climb (the clue is in the title) I continued for the remaining 240km and finished successfully with plenty of time for a coffee from Costa at Poynton before it closed.  I had to walk up a few small inclines, such as Radnor Bank after the Dane crossing on the way back, and I avoided the "Col de Birtles" by using the A34 from Redesmere to Wilmslow (narrow and busy, but the cycleway on the Alderley bypass is a treat).

Oddily enough, the front cable snapped later on.

Here's the question - is a light-weight bike with internal gear cables unsuitable as an Audax bike?  I've changed cables mid-ride previously on more traditional machines, but a road-side repair this time looked tricky.  Should I consider zip-tying cable-outers to the frame?  I've always been wary of racing-lead innovations, where the pros just need to call for the team car or just hop onto a new bike, options not available to me on an Audax.

I was the rider behind you when it snapped. I was worried about you getting round with just the compact and a big ring, but every time I saw you later in the ride you were rolling along superbly. Agree that internal cabling aint the best for audax, you looked so good without gears, maybe get rid of them altogether and ride a fixie. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your good company on the ride.  :)

paul851

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2016, 05:44:36 pm »
Great day out as usual though all the cake had gone by the time I reached the Radway Green garden centre   :-[ the weather wasn't to bad but it did look quite grim for a time in the early hours of Sunday morning whilst heading for Whitchurch and the first control with a lot of ice about on cars and such like but during the day it was bright and sunny and a great day to be cycling.

Paul

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2017, 04:24:49 pm »
Anyone else riding this this year? Fingers crossed the weathers nice😜👍🏻

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:03:54 am »
Anyone else riding this this year? Fingers crossed the weathers nice😜👍🏻

You'll have plenty of company.  We've been getting about 30-40 for our night ride to Newtown and the numbers look about typical for this year.  Having the McDs open at Whitchurch in recent years is a great improvement, as we formerly had to control at the 24 hour petrol station through the window, which could involve a considerable amount of waiting around.

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:46:46 am »
Classic nightride  :thumbsup:
Great to see you 'enjoying' ride you set up Mike.
Dry but cold early morning.. good turnout of keen Audax riders, just doing great event or building  up to an SR or LEL?.
Thanks for the event and to the guys, who got me off to fast first leg, a bit too fast! So slower back, as always with Audax riders, your good company too, while I could keep up and actually talk back!!
My improvement as a cyclist, continues to grow, due to guys like you, who encourage, motivate and teach me at every event. Respect & ThanYou all.

« Reply #12 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:57:25 pm »
Classic nightride  :thumbsup:
Great to see you 'enjoying' ride you set up Mike.

Not me, Sheila Simpson came up with the Plains 300 many years ago and we've been enjoying the delights of Dinky's Diner ever since.  More recent upgrades are the 24 hour McDonalds at Whitchurch and Newtown, which greatly improve the experience; in the "olden days" we had to queue up outside petrol stations ordering our food and drink in the cold in exchange for a till receipt.  We used to start at midnight, so 11pm makes for a more civilized start.

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2017, 12:36:56 pm »
I have to agree with "Jon+1bike". Brilliant ride!

Im amazed at how many people were milling about at such unsociable hours at mc Donald's and dinkies!

Just as we pulled up to Dinkies, a car with 5 drunk lads pulled up and ordered the whole menu so serving us took a while.

Likewise getting served at McDonalsds in new town  at 5am took 20minutes! Thought it was supposed to be fast food!

Anyway the best bit was getting back in under 13hours and seeing lots of nocturnal wildlife including an owl, couple of badgers, few hedgehogs, rabbits, and the drunk welsh!

Hopefully ill do the next one! A total hoot!

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:18:42 pm »
Well all seemed to enjoy the event even the one that snapped his cable seem to remember him doing it the other year !
I would like comments on Radway now that the garden centre asked us not to go there , were the shops etc good enough after a night out . Currently planning next year so it would be useful
Peter ;D

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »
The convenience store just passed the Garden Centre was excellent (including staff) and offered a good range of food and drink to satisfy all but the most demanding of riders.  Plenty of room outside for cycles and to sit down on the pavement.  I stopped at Audlem (Old Priest House) as it is sacrilege to cycle past such a good cycle friendly café and only needed a brief stop in Radway area for PoP.

Good event that is much appreciated due to the relative low cost of starting at night thereby removing the need for accommodation. Many thanks.

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
Well all seemed to enjoy the event even the one that snapped his cable seem to remember him doing it the other year !
I would like comments on Radway now that the garden centre asked us not to go there , were the shops etc good enough after a night out . Currently planning next year so it would be useful
Peter ;D

My own cable stayed intact this year. 

How about swapping the Radway control with Audlem, we're always welcome there, especially if we're well spread out.  It always seems a long leg to Radway, so Audlem would make the last two sections more equitable.

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:47:18 am »
It always seems a long leg to Radway, so Audlem would make the last two sections more equitable.

Which is why I stop at Audlem.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »
I'm doing the perm version (The Fully Monty) this weekend.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:52:26 pm »
Audlem , yes reasonable choice of shops and the priest house , will give it some thought