Author Topic: RAAF race across France  (Read 5365 times)

whosatthewheel

RAAF race across France
« on: 07 December, 2017, 03:41:35 pm »
Yes, no, maybe?

The full 2500 km monty looks pretty challenging and the entry fee quite steep, seeing you get a bit of tat and a GPS tracker for the money. No food is mentioned.

That said, the 1100 km self supported is more affordable, should take in the best bits (alps) and should be more civilised... 5 days to cover 1100 km seems alright to me... still not sure why I have to pay 180 Euro for a GPS tracker and a goody bag, but maybe it's all worth it?

Anyone thinking about it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: RAAF race across France
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2017, 03:47:42 pm »
Royal Australian Air Force?
http://www.airforce.gov.au/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2017, 04:04:17 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
I'm Aussie, so that is what RAAF means.

Links can be quite useful. http://www.raceacrossfrance.com/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2017, 04:21:29 pm »
... anyway...

We are in 2017 and it seems anything goes... even asking for money in return for what at this stage appears an idea.

There is no route, it's not clear what the categories mean, it's not clear where the end point of the shorter races are... it's not clear what self supported means and what is the difference with "solo" and yet, I could pay my money on somebody's bank account and wait for further instructions...

It could be great, but I'd like to know a bit more...

« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2017, 05:10:58 pm »
There's more information in this newslettery thing here. "Solo" means one rider covering the whole distance with a support team, "self-supported" means exactly that.

You can also work out the time limits from the dates on the entry from.

(€120-180 for the 1-2 day 350 km self-supported event is ludicrous!)

There's a very rough idea of the route in this tweet.

It's all a bit vague, frankly.

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2017, 05:23:51 pm »
Things like this (and IPWR, RAAM, TCR, etc) are generally discussed in the Racing sub-board: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=15.0
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »
There's more information in this newslettery thing here. "Solo" means one rider covering the whole distance with a support team, "self-supported" means exactly that.

You can also work out the time limits from the dates on the entry from.

(€120-180 for the 1-2 day 350 km self-supported event is ludicrous!)

There's a very rough idea of the route in this tweet.

It's all a bit vague, frankly.

Agree, I don't understand if the entry fee basically covers for the technology and the goodie bag or there is a little more (food at controls, for instance). I also don't understand why, if it only covers the tech, a self supported attempt should be significantly cheaper than a supported one...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
Anyway... it's the way of the world these days... last year Velo Birmingham sold out in hours, well before people actually knew what they were signing up for...

Fortunately Audax are NOT like that

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »
Things like this (and IPWR, RAAM, TCR, etc) are generally discussed in the Racing sub-board: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=15.0

I see, there is nothing on that section yet and I suppose it is more of interest to the long distance riding community than the "racing" community?
I have the feeling "nobody" actually cares about the "race" element in these UD events

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »
You are kidding, right? People dot-watch obsessively.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2017, 08:10:52 pm »

Links can be quite useful. http://www.raceacrossfrance.com/

It's also what google gives all down its 1st page. So thanks for the link  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #12 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:23:57 am »

They would even if it was not a race... as a race to follow, is probably as exciting as those regattas across the Atlantic...

« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:57:00 am »

I've never even been to Australia, and that's what it meant to me as well.

Didn't even seem too out of context - after all, the RAF cycling team has been mentioned a few times on here.

« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:00:34 am »

They would even if it was not a race... as a race to follow, is probably as exciting as those regattas across the Atlantic...
You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but plenty of people disagree with you. During the last IPWR, people were nailbiting watching the duel between Mike and Kristof, wondering if Sarah Hammond would pinch second place. Ditto Leigh Wilcox's amazing ride in the transam.

A lot of the following and fan commentary goes on facebook pages so isn't visible unless you 'subscribe'. There was plenty on here though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:02:58 am »
Didn't even seem too out of context - after all, the RAF cycling team has been mentioned a few times on here.

+1 to RAAF = aircraft related things.

I believe some fine chaps from the RAF CC completed LEL along with riders from RNRM and Army.

« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:05:43 am »

I've never even been to Australia, and that's what it meant to me as well.

One of my friends son rides with the RAF mountain bike team. He's a keen downhiller and gets to spend time on training camps and all sorts.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:12:13 am »
Great diversion, but I didn't name it RAAF...

if you download the registration form, it is called RAAF2018

Now, back on topic... about Australian Air Force...  ::-)

« Reply #18 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:16:36 am »
You might not have named it RAAF but you put that in the thread title.

<rolleyes> right back atcha.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #19 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:29:46 am »
You might not have named it RAAF but you put that in the thread title.

<rolleyes> right back atcha.

I did, I suggest I get banned!!

So I guess nobody is interested in talking about race across France... :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:33:44 am »
Obviously they called it RAAF because RAF would be confusing - it means rien à foutre in French. ;D

Which is pretty well how I feel about it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

whosatthewheel

« Reply #21 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:56:02 am »
Obviously they called it RAAF because RAF would be confusing - it means rien à foutre in French. ;D

Which is pretty well how I feel about it.

That must be the case... I've just noticed the Rapha association with it, which is probably the reason they feel entitled to ask for sizeable entry money without providing any information. If you can pay 100 quid for a pair of gloves, you can pay a monkey to ride on public roads

« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2017, 09:16:04 am »
This race is odd. It is more in the spirit of RAAM than the TCR, requiring substantial funds to be able to compete (funding a team the associated costs is really not cheap). The entry fee for the solo category, since it includes a GPS tracker, doesn't seem hugely extortionate - they are manning 25 checkpoints and a SPOT tracker is £35 a week hire.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

whosatthewheel

« Reply #23 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:30:01 am »
This race is odd. It is more in the spirit of RAAM than the TCR, requiring substantial funds to be able to compete (funding a team the associated costs is really not cheap). The entry fee for the solo category, since it includes a GPS tracker, doesn't seem hugely extortionate - they are manning 25 checkpoints and a SPOT tracker is £35 a week hire.

They are manning control points, but with volunteers, as I understand. Either way, what is the point of a manned control if you have a GPS tracker? Unless such controls provide some extra, being that food or a place to sleep

« Reply #24 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:13:06 am »

They are manning control points, but with volunteers, as I understand. Either way, what is the point of a manned control if you have a GPS tracker? Unless such controls provide some extra, being that food or a place to sleep
Checks that the person riding the bike is who they are supposed to be, I suppose, and is a deterrent against other 'cheating'. I believe the TCR incorporates hidden controls for this purpose (mandatory bits of the route or somesuch method)
<i>Marmite slave</i>