Author Topic: I beat Roger Hammond in a race!  (Read 1367 times)

I beat Roger Hammond in a race!
« on: 15 May, 2009, 10:51:22 am »
As Roger has now moved back to Birmingham from Belgium he has been riding some of the local races as a bit of easy fun.

Was at the local RR league last night and I managed to finish ahead of him (along with quite a few other people too). True, it was a handicap so he started some time after us, and he could of torn the race to shreds if he wished to no doubt, but still...

He did use to ride for our club (Wolverhampton Wheelers) so think he was checking out the competition and honing his form for the Tours of Romandie and Switzerland by turning up to a drizzly village hall near Telford.

Re: I beat Roger Hammond in a race!
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:19:53 am »
Tom,
Well done.

On an aside, I work with a chap and his brother had a nasty crash in Wolverhampton crits the other month.  I think he broke his collar bone.  He will be named something DAVIES.  His brother is named Chris.  Do you know him?

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:27:00 am »
Not ringing any immediate bells, but there is quite a few in the club. Not too great with names either...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:32:25 am »
That reminds me of the 1st time I went to Marjorca.
I had heard that there were social rides nearly every morning, starting outside one of the Italian restuarants in Porto Pollensa.
I went for the 1st time and I got the starting times wrong and found myself waiting by myself 30 minutes too early.
20 minutes later this bloke comes along all decked out in Team discovery Gear, Trek Madonne and all, and I think to myself  'Yeah - look at this Lance Armstrong wannabee!'.
He asked me if this is the place where they meet for the rides. I could see he was in good shape, so I said I said it was, but it looked as if no one was pitching up as it's already 20 minutes after the start time (or what I thought it was at the time)  and that besides I think we would set too slow a pace for him.
He went is own way and a couple of minutes later other riders arrived and I found out the correct start time and I joined them for a nice social ride.
The next day I dropped onto the local bike shop and saw the same bloke who was decked out in the disco gear handing over a signed shirt to the bike shop owner.
Thats when I found out it was Roger Hammond and that I had the chance to have ridden a few miles with a real pro rider! I could have kicked myself afterwards!  

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:46:12 am »
In 1990 my grate frend gNick beat Roger Hammond in a late season 10 somewhere near Staines.  Though he may possibly have been helped by the kindly Organisators allowing him to run in a fully-faired Windcheetah rather than a stick bike.

I am told that the look on the collective face of the TT types, when gNick got out and sparked up a Regal, could only have been copied by a lungfish.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
I used to circuit train with him. He was then a junior, it was the year before he won the junior world cyclo-cross championships and although he was a really nice guy he was totally in a class of his own.