Author Topic: Transcontinental Race 2014  (Read 12738 times)

rob

Re: Transcontinental Race 2014
« Reply #25 on: 09 August, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
Having completely forgotten about this I saw a rider kitted out like an adventure racer on the A20 this morning.   I probably should have shouted some encouragement.

« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2014, 04:25:53 pm »
Flaming heck Josh Ibbett is going some.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #27 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:03:05 am »
I see that rider no 12 (Daniel Jessee, USA) is busily riding along the A5 autoroute.
I wonder if he'll get away with pleading ignorance when the gendarmerie find him? 

« Reply #28 on: 11 August, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »
The dots ain't blue but this one is even more gripping than the TransAm. Love the choice of Channel crossing. Seemed to make little difference for the ladies but a lot for the men's race. Kristof stamping his authority already and only a few hours from The Stelvio.
I want to ride this next year....reckon they'll need more slots though as I see a lot of people saying the same thing!  Saying it and doing it are apparently quite different though

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #29 on: 11 August, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »
Twitter follow ,#tcr2014 for some racers onside comments on their travels.
Josh Ibbot (waterlogged dead garmin) and Rich Dunnet (5 puncs and dead pump) are have trouble keeping up with that machine out front.
Some interest in who will reach Stelvio first, Kristoff or the event car  :D

Interestingly the amount of riders riding together is causing questions about riding to the "spirit" of the event, particularly with guys riding with partners vs solo females in the lead female race.

Same here, want to pull the pin and enter next year, hovered over the enter button this year but had other stuff to tick off first. PBP as a warm up too  ::-)

« Reply #30 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »
No 4. Mikko Makipaa seems to have gone somewhat off piste. Or maybe he has a cunning plan ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #31 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:39:05 pm »
He's never one to follow the well troden path, he was the only one who took the ferry to Dunkirk too.
The race to Stelvio is nothing up, will the event car get there first

« Reply #32 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:41:02 pm »
Jack: I got one massive step closer to actually doing this, or something similar, when I was discussing it with Mrs.SJR and she said 'that'd be just your kind of race, why don't you do it next year?'.  GREEN LIGHT!

What's with the Shanahan chap from Sheffield who is 2nd but not 2nd, if you see what I mean?  Interesting track history - does he have a helicopter?

Agreed about the buddying up.  Not in the spirit, for more than a quick chat maybe.  We saw this on TransAm too I seem to remember.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #33 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:41:20 pm »
Yes tracker seems to get out of the support vehicle in Paris and then head out towards the leharve riders. Weird but not a true mileage reading of a racer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:25:43 pm »
In the absence of ian_oli news, this guy is my current 'favourite': https://twitter.com/themartincox/status/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #35 on: 12 August, 2014, 08:25:52 am »
Miko and Adrian O'Sullivan seem to be a little bit lost, or the have abandoned and decided to do something else instead...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:19:21 am »
In the absence of ian_oli news, this guy is my current 'favourite': https://twitter.com/themartincox/status/

Oh you are so fickle in your support!

Ian seems to be moving very well - average moving pace of just over 21 kph and about to reach 800km and now heading for the big mountains and the second checkpoint.

There seem to some tracking issues with a few people's trackers not having reported in for over a day.  However, there are still riders reporting in recently that are still in the environs of Paris, which is a long way back!

Kristoff with 7 and a half hours stopped so far and a moving average of 26kph and done about 1350km (an unsupported LEL in around 3 days....)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #37 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:17:53 pm »
A couple of photos and video from the depart on Saturday

Good to see you there zigzag & good job keeping an eye on them down to the coast  :thumbsup:

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #38 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:53:09 pm »
It looks cool on top of the Stelvio
http://www.solda2000.com/webstelvioen.htm
haven't managed to catch anyone on camera yet. (if there pointing the right way)

To me it looks like the fight has gone out of Rich Dunnet, hes letting Josh get away in 2nd, and 4th is closing in, Adrian Sullivan.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #39 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »
good to see you too, thesloth! i have re-posted your video on the fb support board.

« Reply #40 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »
To me it appears that @onebigpedal is through CP2. But third behind Allegaert and Ibbett, or do we count Mika who the leaderboard says beat Allegaert to the Stelvio?
Confusing tracking. Preferred the Transam graph but not possible I guess as no definitive route on this ride.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #41 on: 12 August, 2014, 03:30:30 pm »
The mileage leaderboard dosent really work for this event, you could have done 200 miles extra, but be way off course with poor navigation. It's all about reaching the checkpoints and the time given there.

Mika's random course looks hard work but more fun  :'(

Pippa Handleys doing real well; almost top 10

« Reply #42 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:58:35 pm »
Four and a half days and it's MOP time as the middle of the pack seems to be converging on the Stelvio. Guess that's about right for half distance-ish. Allegaert's lead looks completely unassailable. Only 8 hours downtime in the first 100 hours or more. Animal, machine but definitely not human. Some amazing rides and some horrible weather it seems.
Bugger Pros and GTs, this stuff is far more exciting.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 13 August, 2014, 07:15:59 pm »
I am now a fan of this marvellous event! 2 bits of the website have sucked me in:
 - watching the rider tracker playback @ x1024. Brilliant watching routes diverge, then rejoin at checkpoints. &
 - the race blog page. In particular the write-ups of 2013 http://reportage.transcontinentalrace.com/?p=508
(Zigzag's report is pretty good too.)

Its much more audaxy in spirit than I thought. Of course this bunch of badasses* put my little ride round Scotland into perspective :-P

So I'm hooked. Good to see ian_oli firmly in midpack. If anyone is in contact, pass on my best wishes.

*(c) Audax Ecosse
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #44 on: 13 August, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »
It'll be interesting to see if the three chaps going down through Italy will fare better or not. At least they'll get a good night's sleep on the ferry on the Adriatic. Knowing the area I'd guess that they'll board a ferry to Dubrovnik. The climb to Mont Lovcen is a very, very nasty one. I couldn't go up there when I was in Macedonia in 2006 because it was not open yet (in april), the descent to Kotor is steep and a lot of switchbacks. This could be the hardest climb of all.

« Reply #45 on: 14 August, 2014, 09:43:21 am »
A ferry? I thought this was a bicycle race (and yes, I realise they had to use a ferry to cross the Channel)

As far as I could remember from last year (there was no control at Mount Lovcen then) some riders went down through Italy and then via the ferry, most riders went down the Dalmatian Highway and a few went more inland, a longer and flatter route along the Sava and Danube. I'd personally go for the Sava-Danube version, my memories of the Dalmatian Highway are maybe a bit too much coloured by tales of the aid convoy truck drivers from the Balkan wars.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #46 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:54:10 am »
I think there is only 1 ferry a day, so the true racer would not consider it I reckon.
It all adds to the colour of the event watching the spiders web expand across Europe.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 14 August, 2014, 06:44:36 pm »
I think there is only 1 ferry a day, so the true racer would not consider it I reckon.
It all adds to the colour of the event watching the spiders web expand across Europe.
Is this just a metaphorical comment?

I don't see a view showing more than one rider's route - just positions. (Or full route for just 1 rider!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #48 on: 14 August, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »
If all ferries other than channel ferries are out there's some people sitting in Ancona right how'll be mighty disappointed in the morning. Wonder what the rule is hats off to Kristof for making good on the miles missed! Top bloke

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!