Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 399595 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1450 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:21:25 am »
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1451 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:11:14 pm »
My understanding from El Supremo was that the fucking thing passed, because the chairman chucked away their discretionary delegated votes.

do I understand correctly that these are votes given by members for the chairman to use as he sees fit? And not absentees who had clearly indicated they did not want the motion to pass.

In which case, I don't think it's right to blame the chairman because votes received from members who actually cared enough to make a decision clearly indicated the change was backed. It feels wrong to me for the chairman to overturn votes cast, even though the constitution allows it.

Better to blame people like me, who didn't think it was a good idea, but didn't care enough to take action on it.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1452 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:13:41 pm »
The AUK forum page seems to have disappeared, or at least the page when loaded by me is just a blank.  Does anyone know if this is permanent or just a part of a website upgrade?
Seems okay today.
not working for me, I always follow the link from the website under the my account drop down list.

Of course if I google AUK forum, no issues. amazing it is easier to find from a generic search engine than our own website.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1453 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:26:36 pm »
It feels wrong to me for the chairman to overturn votes cast, even though the constitution allows it.
No, giving the Chair your vote to use at their discretion is casting it.  If the Chair simply followed the majority of defined votes, what would be the point? It would be the same as not voting at all.
I often give my vote to the Chair as a discretionary.  I do so with the expectation that they will use it in line with the opinions of the board/committee, whether or not that coincides with the majority of defined votes.  I did so in this case, I don't have particularly strong feelings either way, I'm doubtful it'll encourage many riders, but see no harm in it. It is a decision that might benefit potential riders, who have no say, it might also create some extra admin for the organisers, I was happy for the Chair to use my vote with a better understanding of the implications than I have. Whatever your opinion, it was my vote to cast and I did so. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1454 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:33:24 pm »
So some folk didn’t vote and some wasted their votes by delegating it. Good for you. 50km is now a long distance ride.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1455 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:38:57 pm »
So some folk didn’t vote and some wasted their votes by delegating it. Good for you. 50km is now a long distance ride.
Sorry, I didn't realise you had more entitlement to vote than I.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1456 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:42:42 pm »
Not more entitlement, just more interest in how my vote is directed, obviously.

« Reply #1457 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:53:49 pm »
OK, so I can access it from the old website, but the link from the new website ( http://forum.audax.uk/api/SideDoor.php?token=0361c85d-f47f-4319-9a56-7f7a4e85a01f ) seems not to be working, at least on my machine I just get a blank white page. 

I'll try and post a query via the old website so that the IT team are aware.  I was trying to see what the outcome of the resolution 2 vote was, which I can now see was passed.

Thanks all. Neil

erm just visit https://forum.audax.uk for the forum, get rid of your dubious link.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1458 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:03:48 pm »
erm just visit https://forum.audax.uk for the forum, get rid of your dubious link.

I think the problem is if you are logged in to the AUK website and click on the link to the forum - the 'dubious link' in question seems to be what you get in those circumstances. If you log out of the AUK website and click the link for the forum, it takes you to a forum login page.

« Reply #1459 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:15:06 pm »
The AUK forum page seems to have disappeared, or at least the page when loaded by me is just a blank.  Does anyone know if this is permanent or just a part of a website upgrade?
Seems okay today.
not working for me, I always follow the link from the website under the my account drop down list.

Of course if I google AUK forum, no issues. amazing it is easier to find from a generic search engine than our own website.

Sounds like a technical issue that should be raised on the forum.

« Reply #1460 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:18:58 pm »
Not more entitlement, just more interest in how my vote is directed, obviously.
What's the difference?  I considered how I wanted my vote cast and concluded I'd like it used at the discretion of the Chair. It was my choice to make, I was as entitled to make that choice as you were yours.  You can't dismiss the way I choose to use my vote without the notion that yours mattered more, that is entitlement. You don't have to agree with the outcome to respect the process and having members vote is the best of those.

« Reply #1461 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:19:31 pm »
My understanding from El Supremo was that the fucking thing passed, because the chairman chucked away their discretionary delegated votes.

My recollection is that the margin was such that the discretionary votes wouldn't have swung it the other way (chair actually cast them 50/50).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1462 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:25:54 pm »
PH, those votes that are directed towards an outcome are worth more than those votes that are chucked away. Your vote was chucked away, by the chairman’s choice.

« Reply #1463 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:39:56 pm »
PH, those votes that are directed towards an outcome are worth more than those votes that are chucked away. Your vote was chucked away, by the chairman’s choice.
No, your vote isn't worth more than mine.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1464 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:01:04 pm »
My vote was counted (and lost). Yours was cancelled (and meaningless).

« Reply #1465 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:22:54 pm »
My vote was counted (and lost). Yours was cancelled (and meaningless).
No, my vote was counted in exactly the same way as yours.  Doesn't matter how many times you rephrase it, the way I chose to exercise my vote was a valid as yours.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1466 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:26:59 pm »
You chose to make your vote meaningless. Your choice.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1467 on: 20 February, 2023, 03:36:44 pm »
Guys - take it offline please
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #1468 on: 20 February, 2023, 03:55:23 pm »
As Crinkly Lion pointed out the 'dubious' link to the forum that I posted is the one linked to from the 'forum' button on the AUK website when you're logged in.  I've emailed Dave Allison and Kevin Lake (AUK web content and IT) to make them aware.

Thanks all again

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1469 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:43:14 pm »
The forum link is fixed now. Apparently the problem was caused by an upgrade of something on the forum side.

« Reply #1470 on: 16 March, 2023, 09:30:28 am »
I'm planning to ride the Wiltshire cycleway which is about 250km. I don't want to increase it to 300km, but I would like to bag 2 points at the same time. I'm presuming with BR DIY rules, I'm fine to do this AND I get the extra time to finish the extra 50km. Or is there a limit on over distance?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1471 on: 16 March, 2023, 10:31:47 am »
No limit on over-distance, except >X99km takes you into the next nominal distance.

« Reply #1472 on: 16 March, 2023, 10:34:35 am »
You might also consider only registering the first 200 km, then you’re free to change your route / take your time / decide you can’t be arsed / get hit by a car for the last 50 km.

« Reply #1473 on: 16 March, 2023, 11:27:26 am »
You might also consider only registering the first 200 km, then you’re free to change your route / take your time / decide you can’t be arsed / get hit by a car for the last 50 km.
This is what I do, though sometimes it's also the first few miles so I've both warmed up and done the slower urban riding before the clock starts.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1474 on: 16 March, 2023, 01:13:31 pm »
I'm planning to ride the Wiltshire cycleway which is about 250km. I don't want to increase it to 300km, but I would like to bag 2 points at the same time. I'm presuming with BR DIY rules, I'm fine to do this AND I get the extra time to finish the extra 50km. Or is there a limit on over distance?

Next year ... you'll be able to ride it as a 250 and get 2.5 points.  [now I'm looking for a suitable emoji for hiding behind the sofa ]
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll