Poll

Winter 200km with 3 commercial controls + ? 3 Infos ?

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if it has Info Controls
1 (0.6%)
Would rather route was an extra 10km to avoid having any infos
26 (16.7%)
Wouldn't want to add more than 5km to be able to avoid infos
22 (14.1%)
Keep route as short as possible, I don't mind Infos
90 (57.7%)
Would rather mandatory route enforced by Secret Controls
17 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: How much do people dislike Info controls ?  (Read 23325 times)

Re: How much do people dislike Info controls ?
« Reply #100 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:07:52 pm »
I've never had any problems working out where info controls are likely to be when plotting out a route based on the routesheet. Even if the routesheet distances get out of sync with what online mapping tool is saying for the current distance it doesn't matter much as the distance from the previous turning/instruction is still easily seen if you use the right plotting tools.

Maybe I've just been lucky with the quality of the routesheets I've experienced.

The canny organiser will pick info questions with answers that differ from what is currently visible on Google Streetview.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #101 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:15:19 pm »
As I was riding along routechecking yesterday I came across what I thought was ideal, in a location about which there could be no confusion - & with three different options.

At <named place> what is the name of the pub?     (it's The <namedplace> Arms)
At <named place> what colour is the phone box opposite pub?
At <named place> there is a red public what opposite pub?  (it has an unmissable vintage sign that tells you "Public Telephone")

And then I remembered the above restrictions from the colour-blind.
[/back to the drawing board]

The questions above do sound too much like dead give aways but there are occasions when there are simply no alternative or more sensible audax control questions.  I recall something rather like this;

132.2  TL into 'New Mill Lane'. no sp
INFO CONTROL QUESTION: At 132.2 What is the name of the lane you have turned into?

This was the only possible question given that there absolutely no other features at the junction, not even a telegraph pole.  The only option which would have been too far fetched would have been; "What type of hedgerow borders the junction?".

How about "Colour of red telephone box on right"?
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #102 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
Number of telephone boxes on right?

(I think it was the Victor Ludorum 100 I rode with mattc in 2007 [although I think he was DIYing it into a 200] where all of the info question answers were "1".)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #103 on: 26 January, 2018, 03:14:54 pm »
Number of telephone boxes on right?

(I think it was the Victor Ludorum 100 I rode with mattc in 2007 [although I think he was DIYing it into a 200] where all of the info question answers were "1".)

And that's about as much fun as an organiser gets on an event when it comes to info controls. A little harmless mind games with the riders. The late Graham "The Hills" Mills did tje same eith post boxes, EIIR being the answer. I've done the same with village speed limits, sure - they're likely to be 30, but there are plenty with 20, and I was surprised once to see a little hamlet have a limit of 50, the next hamlet a mile further on with exactly the same road conditions was 30. Clearly the people with influence lived there.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #104 on: 04 February, 2018, 07:44:19 pm »
I used to hate info controls. Often spent ages trying to find them. Often failed.
Then I discovered that getting them wrong seemed acceptable .
Scribbling illegible nonsense worked too so no longer hate them.
Will always prefer audaxes without info controls tho

« Reply #105 on: 04 February, 2018, 07:50:13 pm »
I think they add interest/an excuse for a stop, apart from in my early days on 300's spent looking in the pitch black.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #106 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:05:43 pm »
I think they add interest/an excuse for a stop, apart from in my early days on 300's spent looking in the pitch black.
which reminds me of the other thing:
pls to write instructions that still make sense in the dark - relying on being able to see 10' to the right or whatever is no good if it's dark and I am using a route sheet.
eg R on LH bend imm L rather than SO @ stg junction ('cos I can't see it's a junction, but I can keep an eye out for a LH bend)
eg R in <town> shortly after <pub> $ <othertown> rather than only R $ <othertown> (so I can look out for them)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #107 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:17:24 pm »
A couple of years ago I achieved my ambition of running a full set of events with no infos at all.  The old Glastonbury 100 miler had two, which was an irritation, but its replacement, the Combwich Century, has none.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #108 on: 05 February, 2018, 01:14:25 pm »
And that's about as much fun as an organiser gets on an event when it comes to info controls. A little harmless mind games with the riders.

I recall a 100 somewhere on which every info control was a pub name and all the pubs had the same name

(I also recall that to be the most interesting part of the ride)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #109 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
The late Graham "The Hills" Mills did the same with post boxes, EIIR being the answer.

Not always.  Graham knew some old post boxes.  And they are going to have to be upgraded in the not too distant future.  CIIIR, or more likely GVIIR.   

« Reply #110 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:43:09 pm »
 ???Personally, as have mental issues; I find infos' difficult but understand the purpose, would just like, location, questions as accurate & simple as possible. 
Although managed so far, as always take photo' and organisers always help me. So Thanks again, organisers  :thumbsup:
"How many levels in brick wall, on right at junction" was hardest.
Photo' showed it had been plastered! ;D

« Reply #111 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:09:46 pm »
And that's about as much fun as an organiser gets on an event when it comes to info controls. A little harmless mind games with the riders.

I recall a 100 somewhere on which every info control was a pub name and all the pubs had the same name

;D ;D ;D
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #112 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:29:55 am »

Was it the Bull's Head by any chance?

;D ;D ;D
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Martin

« Reply #113 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:31:53 pm »
Does anyone know how to modify GPS files to generate alerts when the info control is reached?

Yes.

of course eventually route sheets won't exist when everyone has GPS, a means of indicating infos will then be required

I disagree -- for warnings on the route, from a legalistic position, the routesheet is just brilliant and GPS is unreliable enough in the general sense to be completely discounted.  So I believe orgs will still be required to write and distribute routesheets for a long time to come.

when I said eventually I was talking about the far future where it's not worth the bother as nobody needs the paper route sheet any more. A bit like a train timetable; or even a public phonebox

If my routes all had pubs as infos a good lazy question for all of them would be "has the pub closed down"  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #114 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »
If my routes all had pubs as infos a good lazy question for all of them would be "has the pub closed down"  ;D
To which the correct answer might be "It was closing when I left."  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #115 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:55:16 pm »
To which the correct answer might be "It was closing when I left."  :o

or even, has it turned into an Asian restaurant / Tesco Express / Co op or McDonalds?

(on a tangent is the Sun in the Sands roundabout the only one that still has a pub of the same name on it?)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #116 on: 07 February, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »
You've got the Royal Standard just up the road if that counts as a roundabout (I'd call it a gyratory personally).
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #117 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
A mildly controversial info control today - "name the species of bird" on a sign but not everyone knew it! I played it safe via a quick sketch of the sign in the relevant box.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #118 on: 18 February, 2018, 06:48:50 pm »
Yeah, I definitely started wondering whether by bird recognition skills would be up to snuff when I read that question!

« Reply #119 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:08:31 pm »
A mildly controversial info control today - "name the species of bird" on a sign but not everyone knew it! I played it safe via a quick sketch of the sign in the relevant box.

It was quite obvious though. What "colours is the bird on the sign?" whould have beed a fairer question. Googling the "Great Sampford village sign" gives the image so not a particulary effective control so perhaps an approach for GPS users without waypoints is just to get the answers for the infos at the HQ before departure then forget about them.

I don't really see the choice for organisers. They don't wat to encourage riders to us DCs in-case theres an accident and with few exceptions it's hard to verify AAA points without fine grained controls. It would be fixed with mandatory routes. with the threat of a secret control.

I don't really have problems with infos and would rather those than a forced Cafe stop every 20km. A country Cafe stop where bike security isn't an issue every 50 or so km is welcome. I did have a problem last year where the Cafe control was incredibly busy and had no way of generating a reseipt though. Ideally a control will either be free(in a town), manned or provided with stickers.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #120 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »
Or just do audaxen where there aren't many roads  ;)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #121 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:37:22 pm »
It was fine, no problem with info controls anyway - they add a bit of variety :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #122 on: 19 February, 2018, 11:24:09 am »
Perhaps the question would be better phrased as: how many controls are acceptable on an event; given that infos are often interspersed between reasonably spaced 'proper' controls. 

For me, one info after (say) 10k is okay; a number of them suggests the organiser should perhaps go back to the drawing-board.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #123 on: 19 February, 2018, 11:59:46 am »
For me, one info after (say) 10k is okay; a number of them suggests the organiser should perhaps go back to the drawing-board.

I agree with this. As I said earlier:
I've abandoned many routes at the early planning stage because they would require too many info controls (in my opinion).

It's down to individual organisers to weigh it up and make a decision.

It was quite obvious though. What "colours is the bird on the sign?" whould have beed a fairer question. Googling the "Great Sampford village sign" gives the image

It's a rubbish info question. The answer cannot be deduced from the evidence of the sign and relies on external (a posteriori) knowledge (unlike eg the date on the sign).

Asking for the colour is potentially unfair on some riders for reasons already discussed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #124 on: 19 February, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »
One of my funniest Audax experiences was a bunch of middle-aged blokes (myself definitely included in this description) standing in the street arguing over whether a wall was “pale pink” or “off white”.
Eddington Number = 132