Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by road-runner on Today at 12:45:45 pm »
All those things above from Twitch to computer games, podcasts and TV pretty much passed my by as I made the decision with every one that I would be better off spending more time becoming a better musician. We each make our own choices and I do not regret mine. I am middle (or old) aged and living on another planet!
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by drgannet on Today at 12:36:01 pm »
Jeremy Hunt.

https://www.justgiving.com/page/jeremy-hunt-1711530113423

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-donation-conservative-party-losses-b2506503.html

If you really cared about the new cancer unit, just donate from your own millions to make it happen.

If you really really cared about the new cancer unit, just fund the NHS properly.
The Pub / Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:35:38 pm »
BONG! Woman rides recumbent in impractical shoes BONG!

Does the fact that, while there, she also met Barney Harle elevate it to “newsworthy”?

It does at least explain why they're smiling.
The Pub / Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 12:33:31 pm »
BONG! Woman rides recumbent in impractical shoes BONG!

Does the fact that, while there, she also met Barney Harle elevate it to “newsworthy”?

[“No. No, it does not!” – Ed.]
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 12:28:47 pm »
I do wonder if it was deliberate.  He gets to whinge to his racist pals about being "blocked" without actually having to undergo the repeated humiliation of losing his deposit...
That sounds awfully like a coherent plan, something I’d not expect from Fox.

I expect he got a grownup to help with the details, including all of it.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:26:51 pm »
You've just found out what Twitch is and how unbelievably big it is.

And your immediate reaction is that you just don't care.

I've been aware of Twitch for a few years but it still baffles me. What does it say about the state of the world that people can get rich from other people watching them play video games? (Don't answer that, I really don't want to know.)

I used to think that, but I've come to realise it's not all that different to all the watching-siblings-playing-computer-games we did as kids.  A lot of the time I was more interested in seeing what came next in the game than I was in winning, and watching someone who was better at it was actually fine (even if the main motivation at the time was that there was only one computer and they wouldn't let you have a decent go).

The way I see it, Twitch makes about as much sense as podcasts[1] or reality TV[2].

[1] A radio programme about your niche interest, what's not to like?
[2] In which it's considered normal and ordinary for half the nation to spend hours watching randoms complete arbitrary tasks.
The Pub / Re: Spalding
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 12:16:48 pm »
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 12:00:23 pm »
I do wonder if it was deliberate.  He gets to whinge to his racist pals about being "blocked" without actually having to undergo the repeated humiliation of losing his deposit...
That sounds awfully like a coherent plan, something I’d not expect from Fox.
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 11:49:39 am »
The second funniest thing is Laurence Fox fuming that his application for Mayor of London candidacy has been rejected.  He's claiming its a conspiracy by Sadiq Khan, who he labels as "crooked".

Last time, Fox gained 1.8% of the vote share, so a real threat to Khan.

He submitted his paperwork at the last minute and without properly checking that those who were nominating him were eligible to do so (something which every candidate is repeatedly reminded to do).

Audax / Re: Le douze-Cents 2024
« Last post by veloboy on Today at 11:28:41 am »

I'm in!

This will be the third time riding this, an excellent event (the last time being 2016)! A highy recommended event to some beautiful areas of France!

The event neatly sits betwen two weekends, so making it possible to ride to the start and back. Newhaven-Dieppe ferry overnight at 23:30 Friday 26/07, arrving 04:30 Saturday 27/07. Sat and Sun to ride approx 375km to Tours. Monday to chill and start the ride at 20:00, to finish Friday lunch time. Ride back on Sat and Sun to Dieppe for an 18:00 departure, arriving Newhaven 21:00.

It's also possible by train via Paris (Eurostar & TGV).

Link to the stages:
1 Veigné -Royère-de-Vassivière
2 Royère-de-Vassivière - Le Falgoux
3 Le Falgoux - La Canourgue
4 la Canourgue - Loubaresse
5 Loubaresse - Le Puy-en-Velay
6 Le Puy-en-Velay  Col du Béal
7 Col du Beal -La Chatre
8 la Chatre - Veigné
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10