Author Topic: Squirrel proof feeders...  (Read 1480 times)

Squirrel proof feeders...
« on: 04 December, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
The squirrels have a whole hazel tree worth of hazelnuts to feast on, so I was thinking about upgrading the bird feeders to stop said squirrels tucking into the bird food too.  Any recommendations for some effective (& good value) furry creature proof seed & peanut bird feeders?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Squirrel proof feeders...
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
The best value I have found are these from Robert Dyas http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kingfisher-squirrel-proof-nut-feeder at £5 each. They work.

red marley

« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2013, 09:17:29 am »
I can't help but see this thread title as 'Squirrel proofreaders", which conjures up an interesting visual image.

We use a 'guardian' [no Regulator, not your favourite paper] from CJ Wild Foods. Doesn't look as good value as the Robert Dyas one, but it has lasted us over 10 years so far and is still going strong.

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2013, 02:40:29 am »
I've tried most of the usual solutions.

The standard "squirrel-proof" cages surrounding the bird feeders are not squirrel proof. I spent time filling the gaps that the squirrels might get through. The squirrels were not deterred. It's only speculation that they were shaking the feeders so that the seeds/nuts fell outside the cage onto the ground. But the original objective of providing food for birds was not achieved.

« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »
Thanks.  May try the RDy verson for starters.  Here's the furry peanut lover below...  This feeder has previously been opened (with squirrel teeth), hence duct tape.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson