Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1758827 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5025 on: 01 May, 2014, 07:25:31 pm »
I Left with Tomsk and OD and a couple of miles later shouted to Tomsk that this was my turn, he must have heard because he hasn't written a "what happened to you guys?" post.

Indeed I did....stopped to have a good look in case it was a mechanical or summat - the lack of lights confirmed you'd peeled off right.

My return was badger-free, but rather a lot of cats about, especially in Chelmo.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5026 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:17:26 am »
;D

It would be helpful if you could pick one of your 3 options.  Otherwise I will be playing route roulette!
I hope you're not advocating forward planning  :hand:

:D

I am  :thumbsup:  Now that the Oaky is an ocean away we can forward plan with gay abandon  :D   :smug:

You have my blessing to plan away and be as gay as you like in your abandon!

Who is up for a spin tomorrow evening?  I appreciate this is a poor example of forward planning given our new found freedom as gifted above.

The Dog in Halstead is an unvisited pub according to the GBG but not a very friendly destination if you are traveling from the Southend area.  So, where shall we go?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5027 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:24:34 am »
Yes... tomorrow evening is ok for me. Any GBG pubs unvisited in Coggeshall? I've only been to the Chapel Inn there.

« Reply #5028 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:33:28 am »
Not tomorrow but you'll have to visit a Southend friendly pub soon as Huggy'll want to look at the French book and maps.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5029 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:34:27 am »
The Chapel is Coggesshall's only GBG entry.  It has been ticked off already, I seem to remember that was a very wet ride early last year.  Floods up to bottom bracket level.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5030 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:43:21 am »
Not tomorrow but you'll have to visit a Southend friendly pub soon as Huggy'll want to look at the French book and maps.

Got any favorites?

« Reply #5031 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:51:17 am »
Got any favorites?
Not really but Viper, Compasses, White Hart, Windmill E. Hanningfield are all good. What's left in the guide?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5032 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:28:59 am »
Got any favorites?
Not really but Viper, Compasses, White Hart, Windmill E. Hanningfield are all good. What's left in the guide?

All the pubs you mention are either ticked off or not in the Guide but there is no reason why we can't go to them.  Let us know when you are next free on a Wednesday evening and we will meet you there.  Personally I haven't been to the Viper or Windmill E Hanningfield for ages.

« Reply #5033 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »
All the pubs you mention are either ticked off or not in the Guide but there is no reason why we can't go to them.  Let us know when you are next free on a Wednesday evening and we will meet you there.  Personally I haven't been to the Viper or Windmill E Hanningfield for ages.
Not fussed TBH.
How many pubs are left and where are they?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5034 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:47:30 pm »
There are about 50 left but in the more further flung corners of our fair county.  I imagine these will be picked off during day rides over the coming years. 

Mind you there are a few in Colchester which means we might have to have another Friday Night Ride to the Pub(s) like we did last June - that was a proper giggle  :D

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5035 on: 06 May, 2014, 05:37:41 pm »
Ok....save the Viper or Windmill for another night....then how about somewhere mid-way on the Witham/Dunmow Axis?
[Actually haven't been to the Compasses for ages]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5036 on: 06 May, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
I really don't mind; I'm after some miles and a beer.  My GBG quest is a personal thing and you lot don't have to be dragged into it all the time.  The Compasses will be just fine with me if that's the consensus  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5037 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »
The Compasses will be just fine with me if that's the consensus  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5038 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »
Done deal unless there are violent objections from other riders.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5039 on: 06 May, 2014, 09:05:00 pm »
Mind you there are a few in Colchester which means we might have to have another Friday Night Ride to the Pub(s) like we did last June - that was a proper giggle  :D
Shame I won't be around to join you. You could always do a GBG version for Kreis Viersen though - there seem to be a number of beer establishments around here. I'm doing the Church Visiting version http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/churches-in-kreis-viersen-1-10/ which is less exciting but probably easier.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5040 on: 07 May, 2014, 07:43:07 am »
Steve, I can bring the book and maps tonight. If Huggy's not available can you take them and drop them off, probably best do it during daylight hours rather than early hours of Thursday morning though!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5041 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:03:00 pm »
The Viper then - fine by me?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5042 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:11:50 pm »
Yep, Viper works. I think Huggy will be with me. If not I can transport book and maps.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5043 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:12:44 pm »
Sadly I'm unable to join you - unless it's on the way home from Maidstone. I'll see if Mrs. Wow is up for a few sherbets. Something tells me that she probably won't.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5044 on: 07 May, 2014, 03:17:11 pm »
Shame I won't be around to join you. You could always do a GBG version for Kreis Viersen though - there seem to be a number of beer establishments around here. I'm doing the Church Visiting version http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/churches-in-kreis-viersen-1-10/ which is less exciting but probably easier.

Proper German beer - yum!  I hope that one day we can do a foreign MEMWNS ride.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5045 on: 07 May, 2014, 06:43:33 pm »
I've made it back in time from That London to come out to play. I'll put a pannier on the rack to bring to coffee table and maps back.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5046 on: 08 May, 2014, 12:49:24 am »
I had a lovely pint of Ridleys Rite in the Compasses.  :facepalm: Still it could have been worse I could have forgotten the book and maps!  ;D I'll get them to Huggy sometime before June!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5047 on: 08 May, 2014, 09:40:56 am »
 ;D

This is becoming a habit!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5048 on: 08 May, 2014, 11:31:07 am »
Viper + Beer, excellent as always.

The entertainment was Strictly Morris......

Wildlife note: one badger trundling up the lane somewhere near Roxwell, three very small foxcubs playing in the moonlight, on the road near Good Easter, not sure what they made of me - they didn't run off until the last minute!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5049 on: 08 May, 2014, 11:41:50 am »
On the way to The Viper we startled a deer stood by the roadside. On the return leg I saw a badger and some sort of stoaty thing. Huggy got buzzed by a bat.