Author Topic: Some Edinburgh Commuters  (Read 2769 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Some Edinburgh Commuters
« on: 25 April, 2008, 10:32:49 am »
There's a guy in New York who posts loads of pics on Flickr of cyclists heading through Central Park (he's hopefully writing a piece on it for next week's cc). Anyway, it kinda inspired me to try out the same thing in Edinburgh and see what variety of cyclists we got.

The Meadows isn't exactly Central Park-esque, but apparently it has more cyclists using it at peak times (conservative estimate of 45 cyclists in the 15 minutes I was there this morning). Got all sorts - as the photos might show...

More Hi-Vis and helmets on show than not, but one particular hat made my day!

A bit of a threesome to start

Casually dressed, possibly a student, plugged into his music, taking care at the crossing here

Laden full-sus MTB

Winner of the 'Best Hat of the Morning' prize!

Needs to pump up the rear tyre...

Plenty of older folk. Some whizzing, some making stately progress

Navigating the maze (for the most part the pedestrians keep out of the cycle lanes, 'cept one particular group of people)

Looking pensive (maybe doesn't want to dirty the suit...)

Taking a corner at speed

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Some Edinburgh Commuters
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:49:08 pm »
Only one guy (the hat man) with a pannier: the rest will all get sweaty backs.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:58:20 pm »
Nearly everyone on MTBs and hybrids too.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2008, 02:02:15 pm »
Nearly everyone on MTBs and hybrids too.

That has probably got more to do with the abysmal condition of Edinburgh's roads more than anything else (though there are a fair number of us still presisting with road bikes)

Craig

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2008, 02:07:49 pm »
Only one guy (the hat man) with a pannier: the rest will all get sweaty backs.
Or they could just cycle at a reasonable speed so as to not get sweaty. With the current weather here, getting sweaty is not particularly likely.
(and the man making stately progress appears to have a pannier as well as some sort of messenger bag)

And maybe those on road bikes more likely to go on the road as opposed to across the park?

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
Or they could just cycle at a reasonable speed so as to not get sweaty.

Unfortunately this would mean below 3mph for me. I sweat at the mere thought of cycling, even in freezing weather in shorts and t-shirt.

Plus the bike feels so much more sluggish with stuff in a pannier than it does in a rucksack on my back.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."