Author Topic: Incredible damage to a car done in a collision with a cyclist.  (Read 8272 times)

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
Re: Incredible damage to a car done in a collision with a cyclist.
« Reply #25 on: 17 May, 2008, 04:13:20 pm »
Pretty much the same thing happened to me while working a summer in Oslo! Was struck on my right side next to the zebra lines of a crossing for pedestrians! The car was a Ford Mondeo doing over 50km/h on a small road through a residential area, were the speed limit was 30, so I was quite lucky to survive!

Resulted in a couple of broken bones in my right foot, bruises, a severe concussion and a three line article in the town's major paper.
The protruding side channel leading water away from the windscreen to the roof sliced my Sub-6 helmet clean through. As I had lost consciousness on impact I was later told by the driver I lay twitching on the ground before the ambulance arrived.

The Mondeo on the other hand was a write-off and had to be towed to the scrapheap. The front, hood and roof was badly dented and the front window shattered and pushed into the drivers compartment! The bastard later visited me to change the notes about witch speed he had done in the insurance papers, as he discovered that he was in fact speeding quite a bit!
When I got the verdict that I was to blame, I had not payed attention to his right of passage, I told the insurance company the true story and heard nothing more 'bout it! Norwegian health insurance is quite generous so my loss of work wasn't to bad after all.

EDIT: Like to ad that I was just heading down to the post office to cash my first paycheck and almost left the helmet at home. In hindsight I'm very grateful that plain routine took overhand and that it was placed on my head without thinking!
I often think back on this incident and never leave home without it.
One may be worlds best cyclist, but fate pay very little attention to this when you have to interact with motorist... ;)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #26 on: 17 May, 2008, 04:25:31 pm »
Hello

Well it goes to show how hard the human body is.

So whose 'fault' was the accident?

Quite the contrary! But it does reveal something about the forces at work... ;)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 17 May, 2008, 05:35:03 pm »
And about crumple zones and ablative energy-absorbing vehicle design.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2008, 05:57:44 pm »

EDIT: Like to ad that I was just heading down to the post office to cash my first paycheck and almost left the helmet at home. In hindsight I'm very grateful that plain routine took overhand and that it was placed on my head without thinking!
I often think back on this incident and never leave home without it.

Of course you realise that, if you hadn't put the helmet on, you wouldn't have had the accident. Chaos theory, etc. etc.   :demon:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:54:27 pm »
Eh, you mean like yin and yang, Romeo and Juliet, matter and anti-mater, + and -, sugar and salt, men from Mars and women from Venus, no?

::-)

« Reply #30 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:14:53 am »
Hmm, if my head hit a car windscreen on the edge of the frame a cycle helmet would make **** all difference to the outcome, I would be dead.

Erm... Have you tried it?

I friend did, in Corsica a few years back (his fault - looked right instead of left at a junction). The top edge of the screen aperture left a full-depth groove in his helmet, but he walked crawled away with a broken ankle.

Of course, he might also have got away with it without the tortoise on his head. Pehaps I should get him to repeat the experiment?  ;)

I certainly don't expect a helmet to always help in a crash with a vehicle, and certainly wouldn't rely on it (it's main use is to head-butt branches out the way off-road), but to suggest it's of no use whatsoever is stretching things.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:28:50 am »
I have several facial scars inflicted by windscreen glass and surround (thus cutting short my promising modelling career - irrelevant m'lud).

These would have been prevented by a suitable helmet.

Or by me not driving into the tree.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #32 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:30:59 am »
I didn't know you wore a helmet on your face!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:38:49 am »
I didn't know you wore a helmet on your face!!!
<plays delivery with straight bat>
Many types of helmet protect the face.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:44:34 am »
And about crumple zones and ablative energy-absorbing vehicle design.   :thumbsup:

Exactly. It's all very thin metal, and glass made 'flexible' with a laminate.

I wonder whether crumple zones make drivers less worried about driving fast because they feel they're less likely to kill someone, or more worried because their cars will dent more easily.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:11:43 am »
I crashed my bike into a car many years ago, the car had to be towed away and no broken bones!  The scrubbing brush to get most of the gravel out was noticeable, until they remembered to give me a local anesthetic.  The toll was radiator, radiator grill, spoiler and both front mudguards.  Luckily the car was there or the drop over the cliff edge would have really hurt.

The next time I crashed into a car on a descent did break bones though...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #36 on: 28 May, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
These days it's relatively easy to write a car off yet, as the ped/cyclist, come away relatively unscathed. Cars are designed to crumple in a sacrificial manner while the human bod has put a lot of evolutionary time into making sure it's tough as old boots.

« Reply #37 on: 29 May, 2008, 02:18:19 am »
I certainly don't expect a helmet to always help in a crash with a vehicle, and certainly wouldn't rely on it (it's main use is to head-butt branches out the way off-road), but to suggest it's of no use whatsoever is stretching things.

Ignoring the errant 'postrophe, it is the branches off-road that put me off helmet wearing completely.

On-road there's no point as the cyclist is above design speed PLUS the impact points are shoulders/knees/elbows/etc.

Off-road I snagged my helmet in branches 5 times too often and hurt my neck on all occasions.  Without the helmet I avoided all branches as I know how big my head is thanks to decades of life; but on the rare occasion I do touch a branch I get a minor scratch instead of a major crick in the neck.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #38 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:58:59 pm »
Nutty, did you read my earlier post? Think "evolution" will prove you wrong... ;)

« Reply #39 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »
Yup, I read your earlier post re your own anecdotal experience. 

The last bicycle/car collision I was involved in resulted in me bending both his front wings as well as trashing the bonnet.  Had I been wearing a helmet at the time then I'd have probably had a serious neck injury, instead of just the back strain and whiplash that I did get by performing a full backward roll whilst still clipped in.

Anecdotes are irrelevant though.  I spent considerable time a couple of years back reading extensively into helmets, and the fact that in the real world across a large population study they made no difference to head injury rates.

That, together with the decreased comfort of helmets on long rides (over 200 miles) and also the fact I kept hitting my helmetted head on trees/door frames/etc helped me make an informed choice to no longer wear a helmet.   What other people wear/don't wear is up to them and I don't try to make their minds up for them.