Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945257 times)

I've just found out that one of our units has an order handling system called rSQE ,  and a team that use it called the rSQE Rangers*.   I'm now earwormed.   

*you'll need to be a certain age to understand that.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Arse-queue?

Ja, Herr Bottomdant!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Arse-queue?

Ja, Herr Bottomdant!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie%27s_Rescue_Rangers

A tellybox program my younger sister was fond of, with an annoying theme song.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Arse-queue?

Ja, Herr Bottomdant!
IRTA arse queue too. Goodness knows what that might be, or whether a ranger would make things better or worse, or for whom!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Arse-queue?

Ja, Herr Bottomdant!
IRTA arse queue too. Goodness knows what that might be, or whether a ranger would make things better or worse, or for whom!

A particularly... niche... form of hair braiding carried out after doing the first 2/3 of a BS&C wax.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I think I only went to McMillans once.   A former girlfriend was injured there, when a framed poster fell off the wall & landed on her head.  She needed several stitches & being American sued* them for damages.  She was disgusted at the £3k she was awarded, saying she'd have been set up for life in the US. 

* During a 3 year stay in the UK she also sued an employer, a university & a TV company.   She's now a lawyer in NYC.
In a slightly different universe, you could have been happily married to a successful lawyer. Up until the point at which she sued you for a very expensive divorce due to your passionate affair with a Thorn tourer and a conical tent.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The perils of shared cloud storage...

I tried to look for some Important Files on our team Dropbox this morning but the folder they usually reside in had disappeared. Along with a load of other folders...  :o

After checking with my colleagues that it wasn't just a syncing issue I was experiencing, I went into full panic mode, genuinely feeling a bit sick...

Fortunately, the lovely Jason in IT got on the case. Also fortunate that Dropbox keeps deleted files for a while rather than getting rid of them permanently straight away. Panic over.

Turned out 'someone' had deleted a load of folders from their desktop, not realising that they were deleting them from Dropbox. I have my suspicions who the culprit was but Jason refused to name and shame.  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I was going to post this in the rant thread but I don't feel angry enough about it...

Just under a month ago, I made the foolish error of signing up for a free month's trial to The Times - only because there was an article I particularly wanted to read. Fortunately, I had the foresight to set myself a reminder of when the month was due to end...

So I visited the website yesterday evening to cancel the subscription before they took any money from me, only to find out that you can't cancel online, you have to call their 0800 number... cue sinking feeling in stomach. But fuck it, I'm not going to let myself be stung for £26 a month just because I'd rather not talk to some customer retention nazi...

God, that was a horrible experience. I know these people are only doing their job, but what a soul-destroying job it must be. I played along with it out of decency, so allowed myself to be subjected to his impertinent questions about why I wanted to cancel. He asked where I usually got my news from, so I told him The Guardian. He suggested that many Times readers enjoy the balance of their content and find the Guardian too left-leaning, and what did I think about that? I took great pleasure in telling him that maybe I don't find the Guardian nearly left-leaning enough.  ;D

Anyway, I stood firm and resisted all his attempts to persuade me to continue the subscription. Feel mightily relieved that's over.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I'm putting off cancelling my contact lenses subscription for the same reason, I have to call and go through the rigamarole of explaining that really no, I don't want to transfer to another branch, I just want to finish (I'm not especially unhappy with them, but frankly I've no plans to be in central London with any regularity going forward, and they don't have anything near here). Plus I have about a year's worth of contacts in the bathroom cupboard owing to not wearing them during lockdown (though back to swimming today).

Beardy

• Shedist
I should think it’s a bit cross as well

Real life pet detective says stolen bunny is ‘still hot’

IGMC

;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

I'm 62 years old. My mother is 87.
Today, we had the first conversation we've ever had on the topics of homosexuals, lesbians and transgender people.  ::-)

I know you have an eye roll emoticon a the end of that sentence, but I'll have a sixpence on a guess that she surprised you a bit.

My mum died when she was seven years younger than I am now. At least we didn't have to talk about homosexuals, lesbians and transgender because they didn't exist then.

Had my Dad still been alive, he wouldn't have allowed that conversation to take place.
No real surprises.
When I mentioned homosexuality, she referred to it as 'that illness'.
At least we didn't come to blows over it which, I suppose, is a positive result.
And I wasn't being provocative.
I started up my laptop whilst round at her's. She noticed the apple on the screen and commented 'Oh, you've take a bite out of the apple'.
I replied that I hadn't, but that Alan Turing had....... and so on.....

Had my mother still been alive she would have been 100 a couple of days ago. Actually, I don't think she would have had any issues had <any of the above> existed, or for that matter if I were that way inclined myself.  I had the opportunity to talk quite a lot during the time I nursed her, which was good. One thing I found exceeding odd at the time but much less so now on recall was when I told her about seeing a show by Marcel Marceau, only to find she had seen him in Paris (!!) when she was in her early twenties. Silly things, eh?

Anyone wanting or needing heavy rainfall in the coming days/weeks will be sadly disappointed.

I have just installed a watee butt, so expect drought for the foreseeable...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Had my mother still been alive she would have been 100 a couple of days ago. Actually, I don't think she would have had any issues had <any of the above> existed, or for that matter if I were that way inclined myself.  I had the opportunity to talk quite a lot during the time I nursed her, which was good. One thing I found exceeding odd at the time but much less so now on recall was when I told her about seeing a show by Marcel Marceau, only to find she had seen him in Paris (!!) when she was in her early twenties. Silly things, eh?
Having lost a couple of close relatives in the last couple of years, I've begun to value talking to those that are left (just my Mum now). Her dementia makes it difficult for her to talk about/deal with the present. But ask her about what she was doing in 1943 as a twelve year old in Teheran, and she will share some great reminiscences in pin-sharp detail.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve just received my renewed driving licence and it has a Union Jack on it. This obviously replaces the EU flag.
I had a little weep.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I have discovered that "adult" adult colouring books are a thing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

One step up to purple prose  :demon:

What do you do with those little bastard flies, the ones that associate themselves with pot plants? The ones that fly very slowly but cannot be caught.

I can never tell whether they are attracted to the plants, or arise from the soil. Or whether they are encouraged by plants being too dry or too wet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
We have some carnivorous house plants which do a good job.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
We have no houseplants which do a better job.  (I was warned off the carnivorous ones by Pterry at a formative age.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
We have no houseplants which do a better job.  (I was warned off the carnivorous ones by Pterry at a formative age.)

This Unit read Arthur C Clarke’s The Reluctant Orchid at an impressionable age, and thus Larrington Towers is a plant-free zone.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
I enjoy both the concept and reality of carnivorous plants. Not much upkeep other than watering suits me. Zero instances a la Little Shop as yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...