Author Topic: Windows and bikes - for dummies?  (Read 1691 times)

Windows and bikes - for dummies?
« on: 05 September, 2021, 12:11:17 am »
has this been posted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-58450663

One very startled - and competent driver; and another who may well remain unknown

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Windows and bikes - for dummies?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2021, 12:15:04 am »
I spent some time contemplating the photographs earlier and wondering where the rest of the bike went.

My money's on Halfrauds involvement...

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2021, 12:23:45 am »
Kim, I had the same curiosity and I suppose if there is any CCTV of a car with only part of a bike - or a driver on the shoulder dumping it in a ditch, then they may be identifiable after all.

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:21:33 am »
They have the frame size in the story so guess they had just cut the frame off before taking the pictures

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:23:03 am »
That reminds me of a time when a plank of wood slipped of the flatbed I was following and hit the road early enough that I passed over it without contact. Good job I always leave plenty of room between vehicles.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:39:45 am »
I spent some time contemplating the photographs earlier and wondering where the rest of the bike went.

My money's on Halfrauds involvement...
My best guess is that the bike was upside down and intact when it hit the car. I think that the bike was side-on to the car, all of of the bike behind the head tube missing the car's right hand side. After the handlebars went through the windscreen, the A-pillar (metal bit to side of windscreen) hit the bike just behind the head tube and the frame tubes broke there.

The rest of the bike would have ended up far from where the car stopped, and wouldn't have made such a good photo.

OTOH, it could be that the bike was still in mainly one piece when the car stopped, and the photo was taken after someone cut away the rest of the bike. It's possible that the front of the bike was even replaced into the windscreen for the photographer.

I don't think that the steering wheel on the car is entirely straight any more.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:40:35 am »
When my father was a policeman, a bag of coal fell off a lorry in front of him and hit the road hard enough to split and throw the contents in the air.

5 mins later the coalman found himself being cautioned by a Chief Inspector speckled with fragments of coal and broken (toughened in those days) windscreen.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:52:50 am »
I don't think the steering wheel is straight either. The bike came from the opposite carriageway, according to the story.

It reminds me of when I was driving to Peterborough, following a flat bed truck, loaded up, when a triangular metal formation fell off and bounced down the road. I managed to nearly avoid it and it dented the wing. If I had been nearer to the lorry, or not paying attention…
I sped up and got the details of the company, the lorry wouldn't stop.

Drove back to retrieve the bit of metal, and the chap who serviced my car had picked it up - it fell off near his workshop (rural, not a lot else around) he had heard the noise and come to see what happened.

A phone call to the Transport Director of the company and the damage was sorted out without any denial or fuss…
It is simpler than it looks.