Author Topic: South America  (Read 4043 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: South America
« Reply #25 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:46:31 pm »
Side Tour - Torres Del Paine

'Paine' is 'blue' in the native language, so Blue Towers: one of the iconic landmarks of Patagonia.

A day off the bike, so a group of ten of us hire some cars for the two hour drive from Puerto Natales, and we arrive at the National Park gates at 8.

It is an easy hike in: 10k along a wide, well maintained and waymarked path. We reach the refuge at Chileno after 6k. Beyond the refuge it becomes slightly steeper as it follows a newly constructed path up the side of a steep moraine field, but the path is well constructed with boulders arranged into a series of steps.

The towers are not visible along the approach path. Beyond the refuge, we get the briefest of glimpses of the very tops on a couple of occasions. It is not till you get up into the corrie itself that they are revealed to you. Across the corrie lochan, the headwall rises as a single sheer cliff of massive proportion, leading up to the base of the towers themselves. These three mighty spires reach up hundreds of metres, looking for all the world impregnable. Snow clings to the towers, and fingers of ice reach down the vertical gullies between them.

We spend some 45 minutes marvelling at the view. A group of our riders came here yesterday, but the cloud was down and they got no view. We were lucky. The weather changes quickly here: we got caught in a snow flurry on the descent!

https://www.strava.com/activities/8203684619

Torres del Paine by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #26 on: 16 February, 2023, 11:24:34 pm »
We tend to call it Torres del PAIN. It was there we got "kicked" of our bikes in the very strong winds, broke my front fork, prolly a rib or two, going by the pain I had for a long while after. Peli recorded 15mph going uphill, fully loaded, while applying the brakes, before she dropped.

Looks so much greener, we visited only weeks after the big fire in 2011/2012 and all was black and ashy.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Feanor

« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2023, 09:21:41 am »
In Patagonia, "el viento manda"!

Feanor

« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2023, 07:48:08 pm »
Tierra del Fuego - Fin del Mundo

So we have reached journey's end here in Ushuaia.

The final stage saw us camp in another rodeo arena, with the cook setting up camp kitchen in a hastily mucked-out horse stall. In the morning we set off for Punta Arenas, a flat but windy 100k all on road. It is 3 degrees when we set out. It is like an African plain, and we are on a morning game drive. The flat scrubby plain has watering holes and dried up pans. In one watering hole, a flock of pink flamingos stands, close to the road. There are guanacos dotted around, one lies lazily in a ditch by the road, it's long neck and head keeping a watch on the road like a periscope. There are Rheas in small groups of ones and twos, one has a brood of a dozen or so large chicks chasing it.

I come across a minefield, a reminder of the historic tensions between Chile and Argentina around this border.  In time, I see a line of radar domes on the skyline. Cresting the rise, the sea is before me: the Strait of Magellan, which separates mainland South America from Tierra del Fuego, which is visible beyond.

The town of Punta Arenas is a busy port town, serving the southern part of this country. Tomorrow, we cross the Straits for the final push down through Tierra del Fuego.

We catch the first ferry out of Punto Arenas, crossing the Magellan Straits to land on Tierra del Fuego, the land of fire. The name derives from early European explorers who saw fires on the far shores and were afraid to cross the straits. I'm less sure about the name; I saw no fire, but the other elements seemed over-represented: gravel, wind and rain.

There was 100k of gravel road before camp, following a wild coastline of headlands and shingle bays, the sea crashing against the shoreline driven by the endless wind. Wind-blasted trees show the direction of the prevailing wind! On this occasion, the wind was on our backs, pushing us towards our camp, which was a wild bush camp with no facilities. Shovels were deployed!

It has been cold overnight, there is a layer of ice covering the washing-up basins. We waste no time, and set off with the wind still on our backs. I see a herd of guanacos on a hillside: two are stood one in front of the other, facing in opposite directions. From my point of view, they seem to be a single creature: a pushme-pullyou!

We come to the final border crossing of the trip, a land border back into Argentina. At the Chilean exit post, I cause a minor diplomatic incident. I do not have the carnet I was given when I imported my bicycle. The border post has a resident cat, and sensing some irregularity it comes to inspect me. I scratch it's head behind the ears, and it pushes back against me, purring gently. I am let off with a roll of the eyes, and the diplomatic incident is averted. Trial by cat.

The road from the border climbs slightly, gaining a low headland. Then I see it: the sea. This is the Atlantic Ocean, which I last saw in Buenos Aires, some 5000km ago. We have re-crossed the continent. The Atlantic seems a different colour to the Pacific. Greys and blues replace the greens of the Pacific.

We reach camp at the town of Rio Grande, a large town, in the early afternoon. It claims the title of International Capital of Trout. And why not, I guess somewhere needs to be. The campsite cats are over-familiar, taking up residence in any tent left open!

The next town of Tolhuin is home to the wonderful La Unión bakery, where we all stop for excellent coffee and pastries before continuing to the campsite a short distance away. The campsite is best described as 'quirky', with scrap metal arranged here and there, some welded into makeshift sculptures. It reminds me very much of a place called Roys Rest Camp near Grootfontein in rural Namibia.

This is our final camp dinner, and Mark the cook has pulled out all the stops, producing a magnificent feast, and there is even an indoor dining room with tables and chairs!

And so we come to our final day of riding. It has rained on and off all night, and we pack up wet tents for the final 100k to Ushuaia. The route takes us along the lakeside, but ahead of us lies one final range of hills before we reach Ushuaia. The road has been cut into a steep hillside to gain the Paso Garibaldi, overlooking the lake far below. The road feels precarious, a vertical wall to my left and a precipitous drop to my right. It gives me the heebie jeebies just to be within a metre of the edge.

We ride on and over a low headland, and there before us is the sea: the Beagle Channel, leading to the Southern Ocean. Ahead of us the town of Ushuaia, built on the side of a steep hill overlooking the harbour. This busy tourist town is the port which serves the Antarctic cruises. Here, a sign marks the End of the World, and it is the end of our journey too.

And so here on the shores of the Southern Ocean, our adventure comes to an end as all adventures must. We have riden over 5200km, crossed the Andes and crossed the continent twice. We have visited the Perito Moreno Glacier and Torres del Paine. We have stayed in hotels, hostels and cabañas, and campsites that ranged from resorts to municipal rubbish dumps. Some even had functioning toilets.
Our attention must now turn to the mundane: bikes and kit to be packed, taxis ordered and airports negotiated. All being well, we will be home for Christmas.

There's tracklogs, photos, and more detailed day-by-day write-ups on Strava:

Day 50: Villa Tehuelches to Punta Arenas
Day 51: Punta Arenas to Tierra del Fuego bush camp
Day 52: Tierra del Fuego bush camp to Rio Grande
Day 53: Rio Grande to Lake Fagnano
Day 54: Lake Fagnano to Ushuaia

20221206_090452 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221206_123444 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221206_123456 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221206_162908 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221208_103630 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221208_160242 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221208_165511 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221209_113429 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221209_142622 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221210_110211 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

20221210_105403 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 17 February, 2023, 09:31:24 pm »
Brilliant and inspiring! Thanks!

(But I'm not going to go...)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:28:12 pm »
Wow, I've just found this, I have some catch up reading, epic!

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #31 on: 19 February, 2023, 02:53:13 pm »
Have really enjoyed reading this, thanks Feanor.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa