Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1755033 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #8675 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:36:42 pm »
I've camped in Jaywick.   Strangely, the question came up independently of this earlier today as to whether I'd fancy going back.

Camping in Jaywick! There's an opportunity not to be missed!

Yes, I've done that too - a romantic weekend with the then-new girlfriend to test out the camper van. We'd never been to Jaywick. The weekend turned into a single night; we never went back...!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8676 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »
Yes, I've done that too - a romantic weekend with the then-new girlfriend to test out the camper van. We'd never been to Jaywick. The weekend turned into a single night; we never went back...!

:thumbsup:

Camping in Jaywick! There's an opportunity not to be missed!

^^^^^ doesn't like sound like there's much to miss OD

« Reply #8677 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:11:08 pm »
I will be out tonight, meeting at Spa road roundabout for 7:30.

From looking back through the thread, destination is the Compasses at Great Totham (N) with a scenic route out.

:thumbsup: not sure whether SSN aka Gavin real name Giles will be putting in an appearance this evening?

GavinSSN said something on strava about being ok for tonight so expect to see him at Spa (if he has lights on this week).

The Danbury Dogger was also asking his brother Sister Carol if he was all set for tonight but that may not be cycling-related  :o
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8678 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:16:04 pm »
GavinSSN said something on strava about being ok for tonight so expect to see him at Spa (if he has lights on this week).

The Danbury Dogger was also asking his brother Sister Carol if he was all set for tonight but that may not be cycling-related  :o

Lights seem to be sorted now it's usually the attire that sometimes goes astray I would expect shorts tonight seeing as its winter

Unless here was referring to activities regarding a certain 'Lane' but you know more about that than me   ;)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8679 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »
I will be out tonight, meeting at Spa road roundabout for 7:30.

From looking back through the thread, destination is the Compasses at Great Totham (N) with a scenic route out.

:thumbsup: not sure whether SSN aka Gavin real name Giles will be putting in an appearance this evening?

Blimey, I feel like I'm being stalked!

I'll probably cycle straight to the pub for 21:30ish. Can't seem to persuade the Danbury Dogger out, apparently the weather is too damp for him.

The Retiree

« Reply #8680 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:46:41 pm »
Blimey, I feel like I'm being stalked!

I'll probably cycle straight to the pub for 21:30ish. Can't seem to persuade the Danbury Dogger out, apparently the weather is too damp for him.

It's only because we miss you  :-* plus Ted's pretty good at stalking  ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8681 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:57:05 pm »
I won't be around tonight - tonight I'm following the OD model of just going drinking with very minimal cycling involvement and a train home.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The Retiree

« Reply #8682 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:00:06 pm »
I won't be around tonight - tonight I'm following the OD model of just going drinking with very minimal cycling involvement and a train home.

With DD's no show I thought you were going to tip us into a double figure attendance tonight, we will have to wait for OD to see sense and take a little trundle over to us at 9ish  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8683 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:13:00 pm »

Excuse me!!!  :o  I have drastically reduced my alcohol intake as well as all the other healthy lifestyle changes I'm making!  Whilst a drop did pass my lips last night (it was a shit day) I rather hope none will tonight.

The Retiree

« Reply #8684 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »
Excuse me!!!  :o  I have drastically reduced my alcohol intake as well as all the other healthy lifestyle changes I'm making!  Whilst a drop did pass my lips last night (it was a shit day) I rather hope none will tonight.

Although we are gathering at an alcoholic establishment you need feel no pressure to consume alcohol, you never know they may sell Bovril  :facepalm: we shall expect to see you present and correct around 9ish  :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8685 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »
You'll be disappointed then!

The Retiree

« Reply #8686 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:19:39 pm »
You'll be disappointed then!

:'( Sister Carol has even gone to the trouble of putting in a special 'guest' appearance tonight

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8687 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:23:35 pm »
Be prepared for him falling asleep in the corner. If FB is to be believed he's been a bit busy recently so may be sleep deprived.

The Retiree

« Reply #8688 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:25:28 pm »
Be prepared for him falling asleep in the corner. If FB is to be believed he's been a bit busy recently so may be sleep deprived.

I wouldn't have a clue what you're referring too, best make sure you arrive as close to 9 as possible then  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8689 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »
I'm coming out. I shall be making my own way there. Depending on conditions it might be my first go at a Fixed ride on dark lanes all by myself so no one can laugh, if it is truly rubbish...I might turn up in the Volvo so we can plan seating for the BCM trip!

« Reply #8690 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:33:50 pm »
Oh, and as for spin...for now I'm sticking to riding my bike outside....I just need to find a way to ride more without pushing my luck.

The Retiree

« Reply #8691 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
Oh, and as for spin...for now I'm sticking to riding my bike outside....I just need to find a way to ride more without pushing my luck.

Turbo trainer in the man cave......?  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8692 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:41:36 pm »

Which is fine. I have found that spinning gives you something that riding doesn't, not sure whether huggy, another spinner, would agree. By the way I don't like spinning, it can be brutal.

The Retiree

« Reply #8693 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:43:06 pm »
By the way I don't like spinning, it can be brutal.

Get a turbo in your man cave and then you can regulate the brutality more than at a spinning class

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8694 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:51:20 pm »
By the way I don't like spinning, it can be brutal.

Get a turbo in your man cave and then you can regulate the brutality more than at a spinning class
In a strange masochistic kind of way I like the discipline and being shouted at encouragement of the spin class.  Now, I know that statement is going to invoke all sorts of way-off-the-mark comments that may include the team van but the group activity helps with the motivation  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

« Reply #8695 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »
In a strange masochistic kind of way I like the discipline and being shouted at encouragement of the spin class.  Now, I know that statement is going to invoke all sorts of way-off-the-mark comments that may include the team van but the group activity helps with the motivation  ::-)

That's a valid point and I can see where you're coming from, following HIIT or Sufferfest video's isn't to everyone's taste and if time allowed I would much rather be on the Wattbikes at Revolution than the rollers at home....

« Reply #8696 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:21:08 pm »
I don't mind the brutal bit, I quite enjoy pushing a bit too hard and making it hurt. I think my real 2 issues are fitting going to the gym into my day and paying for it. When I make time to jump on the bike I would prefer to suck up some fresh air, feel some rain, feel cold etc and I am a tight bastard really!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8697 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:42:40 pm »
I don't mind the brutal bit, I quite enjoy pushing a bit too hard and making it hurt. I think my real 2 issues are fitting going to the gym into my day and paying for it. When I make time to jump on the bike I would prefer to suck up some fresh air, feel some rain, feel cold etc and I am a tight bastard really!
Yeah, that's where the subtle differences between our real lives are exposed - I get a generous discount membership through work at the Witham Leisure Centre so to justify it I try to make sure I use it and effectively get classes for next to nothing, it's also 5 minutes down the road for me and intensity put in a short period of time there pays me back when I do manage to get out on the road.  I would rather be out on the tarmac but real life tends to get in the way of doing enough of that on its own to keep fitness up.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8698 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:31:22 pm »
A quick turn around and I will see you in the Pub :D
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8699 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:50:20 pm »
Yeah, that's where the subtle differences between our real lives are exposed - I get a generous discount membership through work at the Witham Leisure Centre so to justify it I try to make sure I use it and effectively get classes for next to nothing, it's also 5 minutes down the road for me and intensity put in a short period of time there pays me back when I do manage to get out on the road.  I would rather be out on the tarmac but real life tends to get in the way of doing enough of that on its own to keep fitness up.

Wot the man says. It's easy for me to do the early morning classes but I know I'm lucky as the Leisure Centre is on my doorstep.