Author Topic: The FIFA row...  (Read 28307 times)

Re: The FIFA row...
« Reply #25 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:22:02 am »
Interesting day for WC football, & 'Fifa World Cup report pointless and a joke - FA boss Greg Dyke'...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30044791

Clearly England can next expect to host the World Cup at some point after 2326. 

I still find it difficult to believe how Qatar, a small nation, with no real football history or infrastructure, and summer temperatures of +50C managed to pull it off for 2018.

What next I wonder?

Yes, what can have attracted them to to hold the event in the richest country in the world?  (As Mrs Merton might have put it)
Move Faster and Bake Things

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #26 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:32:22 am »
The Swiss are now launching their own investigation into the process of awarding the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Will they be as rigorous as the USA though? Seeing as they might have an interest in keeping FIFA happy in Zurich.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that one of the arrested officials was led away with his possessions in plastic bags. Drug charges too?

Possibly just 'gifts' such as Greg Dykes watch I'd imagine.  It would be fun if it was drugs though.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:38:00 am »
They must have FIFA parties with cocaine, champagne and sex-pain. Surely. I'll be disappointed if we don't get a coke and hookers scandal!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:42:35 am »
Over on F1 journalist Joe Sawrd's blog the possibility has been motted of an Investigation into the governance of F1 under the EU's anti-monopoly legislation.  I have suggested that a USAnian-led investigation migjt be the way forward with the bonus of raising public awareness of the sport Over There.

Bonus points if they could get it fronted by Norman Schwarzkopf, Chuck Norris or Alice Cooper.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 27 May, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »
Sad to see Jack Warner being indicted. Dock Green will never be the same again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30 on: 27 May, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »
Far more dramatic than the World Cup.  I bags the film rights.

« Reply #31 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »
I've just heard on the radio (so it must be true  ;)) that some of the sponsors* are getting twitchy; that's more likely to bring Blater down than anything.

*Budweiser and McDonalds.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
Far more dramatic than the World Cup.  I bags the film rights.

I think you'll find there are ways of doing that.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:49:28 pm »
and McDonalds.

..who will be replete with sponsor cash at this present time, judging by all the Audaxers I saw scoffing in their gaffs over the weekend, so I'd have thought that Chip Batter will want to keep them on board.

Nothing should ever surprise anybody about what's been going on within this organization.
Garry Broad

« Reply #34 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:58:36 pm »
The fact that it's the Feds that are arresting people and that these cases will be heard in U.S courts will be enough to shake McD's and Coca Cola etc.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #35 on: 28 May, 2015, 07:14:20 am »
Greg dyke must be chuffed to bits with the turn of events.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:15:58 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #37 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:06:34 am »
Septic Blatter has all the smaller countries bent officials in his pocket after years of compromised dealings.  They are locked in to support him otherwise he will spill the beans in order to plea bargain his own position and they will go down with him. Fifa is a labyrinth of mafiosi corrupt obligations and blackmail insurances.
Well that is what I heard on the radio this morning and i expect it is true.
However, the arrested officials may well decide to play the same game and bring him down now to negotiate their own positions - no honour among thieves etc. The spectacle of Blatter being arrested must be on the cards now surely... I wonder if he will make a run for it on a mobility scooter.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #38 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:08:05 am »
 amazing the lengths the USA will go to, to support Israel  :demon:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:37:37 am »
Blatter is the Berlusconi of football.

Everyone knows that FIFA has been a huge rolling gravy-train for decades.

It's a world where FIFA representatives receive £16,000 watches as gifts from countries trying to host the World Cup and don't even think they can be considered as bribes.
God knows what else they receive, that's just the one we heard about.

I can't think of a single large corporation where it wouldn't contravene good (or legal) business practice to receive such gifts.

Some handed theirs back in but, it's worth noting, AFTER the scandal broke.

It's bloody corrupt and I have to admit I wish I'd been on the FIFA panel, lucky bastards.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #40 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:52:08 am »
I got moaned at at work for buying a visitor a pint of lager.  >:(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:55:49 am »
Should have been warm British Beer, surely?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #42 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:10:52 am »
It's all a US plot to disgrace Blatter according to Vladimir Putin ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 28 May, 2015, 12:05:35 pm »
I can't think of a single large corporation where it wouldn't contravene good (or legal) business practice to receive such gifts.

Mumble mumble BRITISH Aerospace mumble normal way of doing business with These People mumble part of their culture mumble [cont. p.94 of "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by HRH Prince Andrew Rupert Biggles Donkeybollocks Windsor, Duke of York, KG GCVO CD ADC(P); pub. Grabber & Grabber, £39.99]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #44 on: 28 May, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »
The amateurism of some of the corruption is amazing. Warner's sons paid wads of cash into accounts in the USA, each payment being made via a different branch, & 7000 euros to keep it under the $10000 limit for money-laundering questions, proof of ID, etc. Didn't check the exchange rate, & one day one of 'em had to ask for money back to stay under the limit. As if that wouldn't arouse suspicion.  :facepalm:

Dammit, even I could have told them to vary the amounts, don't go too close to the limit, & vary the currencies even though you'll lose something on the change.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #45 on: 28 May, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
The amateurism of some of the corruption is amazing. Warner's sons paid wads of cash into accounts in the USA, each payment being made via a different branch, & 7000 euros to keep it under the $10000 limit for money-laundering questions, proof of ID, etc. Didn't check the exchange rate, & one day one of 'em had to ask for money back to stay under the limit. As if that wouldn't arouse suspicion.  :facepalm:

Dammit, even I could have told them to vary the amounts, don't go too close to the limit, & vary the currencies even though you'll lose something on the change.

Should this be under OT knowledge?

« Reply #46 on: 28 May, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »
Latest update is that Blatter had no intention of resigning !
I have a vision of a couple of weeks from now with a Swiss SWAT team surrounding the FIFA building in Zurich. Blatter is holed up in a bunker deep underneath, as the first concussion grenades go through the windows and the boots of a second SWAT team rappelling from helicopters hit the roof he cackles maniacally and presses a big red button. KABOOM a huge explosion brings the entire building down on top of him whilst simultaneous explosions reduce Wembley, The Neu Camp, Stade de France and all the large football stadiums of Europe and South America to piles of smoking rubble forcing the next two world cups to be held in Russia and Quatar.

« Reply #47 on: 28 May, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
Someone must be doing a Downfall parody about this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:00:06 pm »
I am shocked and stunned and amazed

that Sepp Blatter was not arrested.
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »
The amateurism of some of the corruption is amazing.

Yeah.  On the media frenzy on this a lot of comentators are saying how astute and great a politician Blatter is. 
I dont see this at all. He's survived by giving out wads of cash to people, cash that he had loads more of than any peer or predecessor because TV is throwing money at football.

He didnt think to make good decisions or even cover up that tidily on Russia / Qatar decision and his comittee members.  These are really stupid decisions that keep attention on this fiasco and are now causing this slo-mo train crash we are all enjoying now.
He's probably emailling pat mcquaid just now asking for tips.