Author Topic: Will the turkey defrost in the next 3 hours?  (Read 1726 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Will the turkey defrost in the next 3 hours?
« on: 25 December, 2008, 06:27:48 am »
It's been out of the freezer in a cool place since Tuesday evening.  It still has some ice in it.  I have to put it on to cook at 9am.  I have now removed the neck and giblets, which should speed things along a bit.

Hmmm...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LE

Re: Will the turkey defrost in the next 3 hours?
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2008, 06:43:00 am »
Put it in a bowl and fill the kettle.  Once boiled tip contents over turkey.  Repeat a few times.  I may not be a meat eater, but I have seen this done many times.  It should help.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 25 December, 2008, 12:19:31 pm »
I used to be famous for sticking a hairdryer up their cavities for a quick-defrost.  Nobody died...

...but a safer solution is to give it a long, slow, covered roast and bring the heat up at the end to crisp the skin. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
Put it in a bowl and fill the kettle.  Once boiled tip contents over turkey.  Repeat a few times.  I may not be a meat eater, but I have seen this done many times.  It should help encourage the growth of Salmonella and other baccilli,leaving you to die in screaming agony.

There. FTFY!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
Hmmm.

Cover it liberally in YACF Buffs.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2008, 03:00:13 pm »
Hmmm.

Cover it liberally in YACF Buffs.  :thumbsup:

...and then ship the buffs...   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #6 on: 25 December, 2008, 03:04:05 pm »
There is another solution - hope that your intended dinner guests do the same as my father-in-law.

He usually only has a slice of toast for lunch.   But today decided to have a big lunch just before I collected him (20 minutes before serving our lunch) as he thought we'd probably serve up "around 4" as he knew we were going out to the brother-in-law's for 4:30.

::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 25 December, 2008, 07:32:30 pm »
Maybe for future reference... this seems helpful.

...Keep the turkey in its original wrapper and put it in a shallow pan. The pan will prevent drippings from contaminating other food. Place the turkey in the refrigerator where the temperature should be below 40 degrees F. Do not remove the turkey until it has completely thawed. Approximately 24 hours is needed for each five pounds of turkey so allow about 48 hours or two days to thaw a 10-pound turkey.

If you run out of time, another defrosting method may fit your schedule; however, Sumner said that the refrigerator method is preferred. Again, leave the turkey in its original wrapper and cover it with cold water. Replace the water every 30 minutes in order to keep the turkey cold. This method will take about 30 minutes per pound of turkey; thus, five hours will be needed for a 10-pound turkey.

Thaw frozen turkey in refrigerator
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson