Author Topic: Restaurant recommendations - London  (Read 1596 times)

Restaurant recommendations - London
« on: 26 December, 2008, 07:58:34 am »
My brother is coming to London over the weekend with his wife.
I have been asked to book a restaurant for us on Saturday night.
I had thought of the Chop House at Tower Bridge or the OXO Tower - both of which are too pricey.
Any recommendations for your favourite place please would be welcome.
Areas are anything along the river downstream of Westminster bridge or central.
I can venture a bit further afield for something special.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Re: Restaurant recommendations - London
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2008, 08:00:30 am »
Nandos.  That might be too spicy or too simple a restaurant for your liking though.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2008, 09:53:39 am »
My two favourite restaurants in that area are:

Blue Print Cafe
http://www.blueprintcafe.co.uk/

and

Tentazioni
Tentazioni Restaurant, 2Mill Street - SE1 2BD - London

Might be too pricey for what you're after - ie not significantly cheaper than Oxo. I've heard the new restaurant in the Royal Festival Hall is very good, but might also be too expensive.

You could also try Roast (again, not cheap) or Brindisa in Borough Market, though Brindisa is more of a tapas bar than a restaurant and might not be the kind of thing you're after - the food is excellent though.
Roast Restaurant London, Deliciously British
Brindisa Tapas Kitchens

A bit further along the river, round the back of Tate Modern is the Blue Fin Building (where I work!) which has several decent chain food outlets in the ground floor - Leon would be lovely for a modestly priced evening meal.
Leon Restaurants - Autumn Leon

There's also Tortilla, which is my current favourite lunch option, but might be a touch too informal for an evening meal.
Tortilla - Home of the Best Tacos and Burritos in London

Talking of Tate Modern, the restaurant on the top floor is also supposed to be very good, though I've never eaten there - and it has views to rival the Oxo tower.
Tate Modern | Eating & Drinking - Tate Modern Restaurant

The restaurant in the Globe Theatre was OK when I went there a few years ago, but it's more geared up to pre- and post-theatre dining.

I actually rather like Nando's myself. Along that stretch of the river, there's also Pizza Express and the Real Greek Souvlaki bar, which are all fine for chains.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2008, 09:58:17 am »
Brindisa's great. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2008, 11:21:11 am »
I have been well impressed with The Canteen at the Royal Festival Hall. Prices are not too high. Simple English food done really well.
We aren't too keen on Nando's.

cometworm

« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2008, 03:59:03 pm »

Waterloo Bar and Kitchen is lovely - on Waterloo Rd next to the Old Vic, about 5 minutes walk from the station entrance.

Baltic on Blackfriars Rd is also OK, not sure how expensive it is (never eaten there sober... so maybe my verdict on the food is not to be trusted either).

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:00:45 pm »
Hi Mr SoTR, I can't remember its name, but we were very happy with the place we ended up, on the South Bank(?), the night of the TdF prologue with you and Mrs SoTR and padbeat etc. It had a nice atmosphere and a good eclectic selection of food that we enjoyed.
It may have been because we were starving by the time we found it, but we did like it.

Dunno if that's the kind of place you had in mind.  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:56:39 pm »

Talking of Tate Modern, the restaurant on the top floor is also supposed to be very good, though I've never eaten there - and it has views to rival the Oxo tower.
Tate Modern | Eating & Drinking - Tate Modern Restaurant

I have supped here a few times and can recommend it as the food is good and the prices (given the venue) far from extortionate.
And the panorama is tops!
If dining in daylight, I have always opted for a table by the south facing windows rather than those overlooking the Millennium Bridge & St.Pauls, on the basis of "And over there you can see my house"  ;D

« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2008, 07:21:33 pm »
Hi Mr SoTR, I can't remember its name, but we were very happy with the place we ended up, on the South Bank(?), t

Eck, thankyou for that. It was the Italian restaurant at Gabriels Wharf.
I enjoyed it too, and it is a good place.