Author Topic: Fave prog album of er..... 1971 (seriously).  (Read 6858 times)

Flying_Monkey

Re: Fave prog album of er..... 1971 (seriously).
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »
Gong were actually a very tight Jazz Funk group who were coincidentally hippies, as this track demonstrates.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8J7fKamTNZ0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8J7fKamTNZ0&rel=1</a>

They were also awful, embarassing and trite. I used to think I liked them back when I spent most of my time stoned. Then recently I bought a double CD of their 'best' stuff. Jesus, it was terrible. Nothing redeemable at all. They had no 'funk' whatsoever.

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:12:54 pm »
Gong were actually a very tight Jazz Funk group who were coincidentally hippies, as this track demonstrates.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8J7fKamTNZ0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8J7fKamTNZ0&rel=1</a>

Sometimes they were punk:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EK3inIB_nsI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EK3inIB_nsI&rel=1</a>

and in French
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zw4qPMus-Qg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zw4qPMus-Qg&rel=1</a>
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »
Here And Now were unaccountably popular with many of my little furry chums when I was a Penniless Student Oaf.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »
Since when was David Bowie prog?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:26:53 pm »
I've got Calambert Electric, Flying Teapot and Angels Egg on vinyl and a 2CD compilation of Gong stuff on CD. Sad really.

There I was thinking the question was ridiculously obscure!

Apart from Gong, I have not heard of any of these, but feel like I should and soon! Will be looking out at my s/h vinyl store next time. Flying Teapot, just must be brilliant!

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »
I've got Calambert Electric, Flying Teapot and Angels Egg on vinyl and a 2CD compilation of Gong stuff on CD. Sad really.

There I was thinking the question was ridiculously obscure!

Apart from Gong, I have not heard of any of these, but feel like I should and soon! Will be looking out at my s/h vinyl store next time. Flying Teapot, just must be brilliant!

They are all Gong albums. Flying Teapot is the most famous.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »
I see, not all from 1971 then!

« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:37:50 pm »

YouTube
        - The Isle of Everywhere / Gong

They were also awful, embarassing and trite. I used to think I liked them back when I spent most of my time stoned. Then recently I bought a double CD of their 'best' stuff. Jesus, it was terrible. Nothing redeemable at all. They had no 'funk' whatsoever.

That's pretty much what a whole generation thought about punk and new wave. We were used to finding musicianship of value accompanied by dodgy lyrics, Gong were no worse than Zappa in that sense. One of the odder effects is that there is more to admire in disco than in the whole of the punk era. That's why Ian Dury was so successful, an apparent 'New Wave' ethos overlying music influenced by James Brown and George Clinton.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:20:38 pm »
One of the odder effects is that there is more to admire in disco than in the whole of the punk era. That's why Ian Dury was so successful, an apparent 'New Wave' ethos overlying music influenced by James Brown and George Clinton.

I'd completely agree. Real disco with its roots in thoroughly dirty funk is something rather wonderful. Not sure I'd put New Wave in with punk anyway. Of course, punk's value wasn't in the music itself anyway, but in the anarchic DIY political ethos that it developed and which is still incredibly influential today in activist circles.

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »
They were also awful, embarassing and trite.

That's pretty much what a whole generation thought about punk and new wave.

Ok, try "pointless, self-indulgent noodling" then.  I'm not sure many found that a trait of punk ;)

I've yet to hear a prog record that didn't sound better as a plant pot.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
Pointless, self-indulgent shouting?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:33:35 pm »
I'll settle for pointed self-indulgent shouting :)

It's noodling, and gnomic chin-stroking look-at-me-aren't-I-clever bollocks, that makes me want to poke people with a metaphorical sharp stick.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »
I'll settle for pointed self-indulgent shouting :)

It's noodling, and gnomic chin-stroking look-at-me-aren't-I-clever bollocks, that makes me want to poke people with a metaphorical sharp stick.

Fair enough. I quite like pointless entertaining noodling. :)

I was really born just after the peak of both genres - although Blondie were 'my era', and in hindsight I prefer their punkier stuff. There's good-and-sh1te in both genres; Nursery Crime and Aqualung are both rather good.

I've never been in doubt which camp has more street-cred!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:52:19 pm »
I'm somewhat older than you, and was a foot soldier in the punk wars. To misquote the sainted Anthony Wilson, there were 3 reasons why punk had to happen: Emerson, Lake & f'in Palmer ;)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #39 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »
No dry ice and flying pigs, eh ?  ;)

« Reply #40 on: 06 May, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »
I'm somewhat older than you, and was a foot soldier in the punk wars. To misquote the sainted Anthony Wilson, there were 3 reasons why punk had to happen: Emerson, Lake & f'in Palmer ;)

I do like a Supergroup, Cream, ELP and of course Electronic from the late 80s.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Px0dxRhU4ME&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Px0dxRhU4ME&rel=1</a>
Very Chic influenced of course, Johnny Marr doing an excellent Nile Rogers imitation, the semi-acoustic solo reminiscent of Al Stewart and a bassist only a couple of notches below Bernard Edwards. It's as if all the intervening unpleasantness had never happened.

« Reply #41 on: 06 May, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »
Curved Air with the delectable Sonja Kristina and the wondeful named Florian Pilkington-Miska released their Second Album in 1971.. and I saw them live that year

Definitely Prog, and the longest ever live violin solo I have ever seen

Vivaldi!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #42 on: 07 May, 2011, 12:05:10 am »
Just did a google 'Prog rock 71' and from the first hit I go for Hawkwind - In search of space, Zep 4, and Pink Floyd - Meddle.Z But (IMO) Zep 4 isn't 'prog'

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #43 on: 07 May, 2011, 01:14:28 am »

Yup. It's just a shame that most punk was as tedious and self-indulgent as ELP.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #44 on: 07 May, 2011, 01:47:14 am »
I'm just a bit too young to know what was going on in 1971 from first hand.  My musical awakening took place in the cauldron of post-prog punk, and while I still appreciate some of what was going on in the late 1970s I discovered prog rock when it was deeply unfashionable.  As far as 1971 is concerned; the standout for me is Echoes, actually the whole of the Meddle album, with Aqualung and Heart of the Sunrise by Yes as close followers.  Another great album, although not prog by most standards, is Deep Purple's Fireball - particularly tracks being Fools and No No No.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 07 May, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
There was some good non-prog rock stuff in 1971, like the fourth Led Zep album and The Doors' LA Woman.

Has anyone mentioned Hunky Dory?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #46 on: 07 May, 2011, 09:59:48 am »
Ok, try "pointless, self-indulgent noodling" then.  I'm not sure many found that a trait of punk ;)

No, punk was different. Pointless, self indulgent shouting.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #47 on: 07 May, 2011, 05:22:13 pm »
'In Search of Space', Hawkwind. Just about falls into Prog.....

« Reply #48 on: 08 May, 2011, 11:17:36 am »
Depends on the definition.....

I was a mere youngster at this time, but aware of Curved Air, Caravan etc, Hawkwind.... and got to see some bands by going with older friends.

However we didn't have the disposable income or ability to go t o many concerts independently until a couple of years later when Camel etc came along.

Camel of course and Snow Goose (albeit later) is certainly a fine example of the genre.

However others that comes from mind from 1971
Gentle Giant and Acquiring the Taste
Van Der Graaf Generator and Pawn Hearts (Google: A plague of lighthouse keepers)
Focus and Moving Waves (Hocus Pocus being the single that most will remember)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »

Good job you're a bloke.  Women didn't listen to Genesis in the seventies because they're not intelligent enough to understand it.  At least, that's what Phil Collins once said, which is yet another reason for lowering him into a 100 foot deep full of deep water with an anvil attached to each ankle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime