Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143106 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1450 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:35:02 pm »
Comedy size winds yesterday on Arthur's Seat, could hardly stand up on the summit.
Tried a different variation on the second loop, hoping for some shelter. Alas no shelter to be had, and I was rewarded with an altogether more brutal and technical ascent!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5068582067

What I'm trying to do here is determine at what point my effort is best spent by dropping to a walk on the steep stuff.
I've not determined that yet, and was maintaining a running cadence the whole way.
That may not actually be the optimal solution.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1451 on: 05 April, 2021, 01:29:07 pm »
Emergency travel to M-in-L* yesterday has put paid to my weekend in general including my running. I did bring my running gear, but I’m staying in the Pennines and level ground only lasts for about 47cm in any direction** and I’m not feeling up to that just yet.

*When Sarah’s sister, a GP, calls and says mum is very poorly and you should visit, you don’t take that as an advisory to visit in the next few weeks. she’d rallied some yesterday, but sarah and her sis are there again today. Everyone knows we’re in the end game, but it’s general wornoutness rather than a specific disease so she could rattle on for a couple more years yet.

**That’s indoors! Both floors have steps between rooms. It’s very pretty in a post industrial way, but it’s not the Dales.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1452 on: 05 April, 2021, 01:46:23 pm »
Some things in life are even more important than going for a run Beardy.  There is always tomorrow.  You have your partner and her family to put first right now.

May the thoughts be with you.

Feanor

« Reply #1453 on: 05 April, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »
^^ Wot PB said.

« Reply #1454 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »
Life is tough. The running will still be there later.

« Reply #1455 on: 06 April, 2021, 12:38:30 pm »
It might be clear skies and bright sunlight but it's brass monkeys too.  11km in shorts.  Felt fine until it came to the cool down walk.  Never a more appropriate name for the shiver home.  🥶

« Reply #1456 on: 08 April, 2021, 08:16:56 am »
Wet and windy.
Didn't really feel the motivation, but it is always good to get out. Achilles a bit twingy. Take it easy.

2km from home, achilles gets to be much more than twingy. Walk/dogtrot home, limping. No running for me for a while. Arse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1457 on: 08 April, 2021, 08:26:29 am »
Charley I feel your pain. Mine has settled to the point where I have jogged 100gards to the shop and back without a twinge. I am giving it another few days then restarting. Good luck.

« Reply #1458 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:15:15 am »
Fingers crossed here as all is going well for me at the moment.  Wishing all those crocked a speedy return to wingless flight.  😉

About to start my stretching routine before getting out for my intervals session.  I am slightly surprised at how easily I have taken to four sessions a week and just how much I am looking forward to my runs at the moment.  Having a programme of varied activities seems to have removed the boredom element.  The ToJ appears to be grudgingly appreciative of my current levels of motivation too which is bizarrely nice.

« Reply #1459 on: 08 April, 2021, 11:58:05 am »
Normal service resumed: from the ToJ that is!

I've just had what I consider to be a great intervals session with some tempo to finish off and ToJ has demoted me by 1 on the VO2 max and labelled me unproductive.  It really is stupid because if it looked at my last 6 weeks all I have done is progressive.  I don't understand why Garmin would sell a device which could demotivate the punter by being so poor.  I am no olympian but there is no need for Garminnto be a pompous ass about it.

Fuck Garmin.  They are not going to undermine my achievements. 

As I say, it was a good session.  I enjoyed it and was able to put more effort in and do some faster intervals as well as some decent tempo by my standards to finish. 

« Reply #1460 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:35:19 am »
OK, I admit it.  Garmin really got under my skin yesterday.  So much so that I have decided not to run today in spite of it being a run day in my schedule.  I just cannot be arsed.

I need a reliable recording alternative to Garmin without all the crappy and demotivating metrics.  I just need a very very small subset of the info that it is giving me.

Livetrack is invaluable so people know where I am if I have an accident.  I would like the map of my route, my overall time and distance, and to be able to track and manage my heart rate.  It is useful to be able to record how much running I have done each day/week/month/year but I could record that on paper or in a spreadsheet.  It is good to know how many kms my shoes have done for wear and replacement monitoring but again, I can record that on paper etc. 

Almost everthing else that Garmin gives me causes me more stress than benefit and I was better off without it.  I do not need my apparent VO2 max, how many breaths I take whilst running, my supposed fitness age or even my blood oxygen level 24x7.  And, I do not appreciate being told that I am unproductive or in recovery when the evidence of my recent running activity which is all in Garmin's cloud cuckoo land totally contradicts such fuckwittedness.  I am surprised that it doesn't grumble at me for not taking a dump at exactly the same time every day.

I suspect that all so-called fitness trackers and watches are equally full of shit.

Sensible suggestions only please.

« Reply #1461 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:54:51 am »
It's Garmin, so it will be neither intuitive nor well explained an a manual, but is there any way you can turn off the guff you're not interested in annoyed by?

« Reply #1462 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:56:45 am »
Know what you mean about Garmin being a bastard sometimes, but....

it was a good session.  I enjoyed it 

...is what really matters, no?  Not what an algorthym says.

Shoes on , off you pop ....   ;D

« Reply #1463 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:16:08 am »
By the way, Beardy's running log Cr5k has now become an intense psychodrama, a struggle for supremacy and control between PB and his watch.  ;D

Watch out for the later installment when Flatus recounts how he got dressed for his first run in 5 weeks but realised he just couldn't be fucked.

« Reply #1464 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:18:06 am »
It's Garmin, so it will be neither intuitive nor well explained an a manual, but is there any way you can turn off the guff you're not interested in annoyed by?

Indeed and I have just cut out yet more of the metrics.  Thanks.  🙂

Know what you mean about Garmin being a bastard sometimes, but....

it was a good session.  I enjoyed it 

...is what really matters, no?  Not what an algorthym says.

Shoes on , off you pop ....   ;D

Thanks but the mindset just isn't right today.  A day off and a clear out of more nagometrics might just help. 

When anything that is supposed to make you feel good feels like a chore it loses it's appeal.  A rest day, early start and an hour of low hr shuffling as dawn breaks will hopefully reset the mind.

By the way, Beardy's running log Cr5k has now become an intense psychodrama, a struggle for supremacy and control between PB and his watch.  ;D

Watch out for the later installment when Flatus recounts how he got dressed for his first run in 5 weeks but realised he just couldn't be fucked.

🤣

Davef

Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1465 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:22:43 am »
I do most of my running without, especially long runs. I take a phone in case of emergency but that is it.  I would recommend doing this for at least one run a week.

Edit: I recently used a watch on my long 18 mile off road route that I have been using for over a decade. Turns out it is disappointingly only 16.5 miles.

« Reply #1466 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:39:34 am »
Many of them, including Strava, are full of pooh.

Particularly regarding elevation gains.

The area around me can best be described as 'hummocky'. I suspected Strava was only recording transitions over contour lines - so at 10m intervals. However, my recent off-road run took me to a trig point at 103m. Strava recorded that as 'max elevation 87m'.

I think that it probably isn't even noticing if I go up and down something only 10-15m in elevation change.

A Sailing/boating app from the RYA proports to save your track (so if you go missing, the coastguard/RNLI can be notified). It is frequently 2km out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Davef

« Reply #1467 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:16:56 pm »
Strava elevation data is primarily sourced from their users with gps devices with barometric altimeters. If it is wrong it probably means not many people have been that way and their altimeters were out. If there is very little data they refer to external elevation databases.

« Reply #1468 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:49:18 pm »
Got out for a gentle 5k, which turned into a difficult 5k for a spell when a stitch struck. Carried on through it and it went away eventually. Glad to get out after a few lazy days this week.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1469 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:50:03 pm »
Strava elevation data is primarily sourced from their users with gps devices with barometric altimeters. If it is wrong it probably means not many people have been that way and their altimeters were out. If there is very little data they refer to external elevation databases.
I guess they are too tight to pay for OS data.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1470 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:05:31 pm »
Got out. Ran 2 miles. Go me.

« Reply #1471 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:10:37 pm »
I have been for a walk, watched some Poirot on YouTube and spoke with the eldest son who has just bought himself a low mileage 3 year old 3 series BMW.   He went to collect it so he could drive it back and is currently causing a traffic jam somewhere in the Cotswolds.  😊

Brane reset: more dumb features disabled on the ToJ and plans for a 1 hour low hr run in the morning.   Now I need to prepare my great big Greek supper and enjoy ZoomPub with some friends.  🙂

Feanor

« Reply #1472 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:45:28 pm »

They describe here how they calculate elevation:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001294564-Elevation-on-Strava-FAQs

If your device has barometric elevation data, and the device is in their 'good' list then the elevation from the device will be honoured.
Otherwise, the elevations are corrected to their crowdsourced elevation data.
Failing that, they fall back on some public elevation data ( SRTM? ).

« Reply #1473 on: 09 April, 2021, 07:40:19 pm »

They describe here how they calculate elevation:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001294564-Elevation-on-Strava-FAQs

If your device has barometric elevation data, and the device is in their 'good' list then the elevation from the device will be honoured.
Otherwise, the elevations are corrected to their crowdsourced elevation data.
Failing that, they fall back on some public elevation data ( SRTM? ).

We do some smoothing to the data, which includes discarding outliers to reduce noise.

The elevation change needs to be more than 10m or it gets smoothed out.

So if I'm going over ground that is up down up down - then it is likely to lose lots of small 10m chunks.

That accounts for the carp figures I'm seeing.

Very very few people jog around here - and I've never seen anyone else off-road.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1474 on: 10 April, 2021, 06:35:57 am »
Almost ready to leave the house.  It's a nice looking morning out there though the temperature is hovering close to zero oC.

Just need to offliad ballast and then I'm out of the door.  🙂