Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144088 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #150 on: 22 June, 2020, 01:14:54 pm »
Middle of a 5 day break from running due to tiredness (Fri/Sat) and then giving blood (Sun). Will start again with a 5k on Wednesday (30 deg C) as early as possible.

Postponed the start of intervals for 4 weeks as I haven't hit my target weight, need to get back on track with that. Less boozing and more portion control.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #151 on: 22 June, 2020, 01:21:09 pm »
I keep starting a diet, but comfort eating is still winning out. I know that my running will improve and my knees will thank me if I lose some weight , but I currently lack the will power.  Dr Beardy has lost over 2 stone since Christmas as well, just to shame me further  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #152 on: 22 June, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »
Well I did it again! Managed 5k just in the run segment. The first four k were easier than Thursday's (and I think my pace was more consistent albeit slower) but the last k was hard work as I had to up the pace to be certain I'd hit the cutoff.

And the last minute or so once I knew I had 5k in the bag lasted about a week. I did slow down but not to a walk

26:51 Vs 26:36 on Thursday.

I did misjudge my route so had an extended cool down walk. Did 7.5km all up.

I think the insoles will help, still had a bit of foot pain but think mostly residual. We'll see how it feels tomorrow mind. Even if they just reduce the pain rather than eliminate it that'll help.

So just week 9 to go and then start looking at my next targets. I think 10km to begin and also look at trying to get sub 25 minute for the 5k.

It'll never replace cycling but I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Never had that with running before. Well I say enjoying, it's definitely type 2 fun. Plus it's much more efficient as an exercise when time is limited.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #153 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:50:54 pm »
Might I suggest buying two pairs of trainers then buying a new pair for the wardrobe each time you wear a pair out.  I do this because I had a trainer suddenly fail on me a while back and it caused me a calf injury.

« Reply #154 on: 22 June, 2020, 10:00:42 pm »
That's not a bad idea. I'll get one pair to begin whilst I work out what style works for me but once I settle on a pair I'll get a second set.

« Reply #155 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:06:07 am »
There are numerous benefits to this strategy besides always having some running shoes ready to go "just in case".

I tend to look for "last years model" when the next iteration is released thus I get a pair cheaper.  And, having a pair ready means that I can start to break in a new pair on short runs whilst still pounding the life out of the pair with 500k on them.

At the moment I am ahead of the game and have two new pairs because I spotted a real bargain deal though I am about to start breaking in a new pair this week as my current shoes close in on 500k. 

« Reply #156 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:32:13 am »
Yay, I got out in the morning. The intervals hurt mind... lovely morning and pooped into the allotment on the way home to open up the polytunnel.

« Reply #157 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:14:33 am »
I have at least two pairs of each shoe on the go at any time, sometimes three.

I try to avoid running in the same pair of shoes on consecutive runs, just to give them time to breathe and/or dry, and it spreads the wear around. But mostly the idea is that you don't want to be doing long runs in shoes nearing their end of use, nor with shoes right at the beginning of their life, so new shoes are worn in a bit and then favoured for longer runs.

(The trail shoes are often worn when it's wet or, for my local parkrun, runs that can involve running through 6" deep puddles and thick mud. Giving them at least a few days to dry off is a good thing. I never clean them, the mud just falls off at the start of the next run.)

Strava keeps track of the total kilometerage of each shoe for me. I don't bin them at any particular distance. The Saucony Jazz 17/18/19/20/21 I use for general running tend to start to fall apart in some way at about 800km, usually the tread wears out like this (and are retired to casual/garden usage):

(yes, I was running in those until that point, I'm lucky that I don't get injuries because of this but I'm guessing this is more to do with playing years of 5-a-side football means my muscles are better developed for dealing with non-lateral movements that are often the cause of injuries in runners.)

Looking at current shoes on Strava:-
* Saucony Peregrine 4 SS14 Oct14 Green - 800.7 km
* Saucony Peregrine 5 AW15 Jan16 Blue - 564.8 km
* Saucony Jazz 21 Blue - 32.1 km
* Saucony Jazz 18 Sep16 Yellow - 396.3 km
* Saucony Jazz 17 AW15 Nov15 Red - 593.8 km

Almost all of my shoes are previous years models bought in sales for 50% off. With shoes with an RRP of £110 or so this makes it considerably cheaper. It also helps that I'm not chasing the latest Nike AirFly Max NEXT% nonsense (those retail for close to £300!?!).

800km out of a pair of shoes would mean 70 run commutes. For a ~£60 shoe (bought in a sale) that's just under £1 per commute, not bad compared to the train (£2.60 off peak) but more expensive than cycling.

The Peregrine's are the trail shoes and they look like they'll last a lot longer than 800km, I reckon probably 1600km before the cushioning is completely gone although I should look to pick up a new pair in any sales as a replacement should the trusty green pair start to go.

« Reply #158 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:15:05 am »
... lovely morning and pooped into the allotment on the way home to open up the polytunnel.

Euph?

« Reply #159 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:13:31 am »
... lovely morning and pooped into the allotment on the way home to open up the polytunnel.

Euph?

Popped!!

Some high mileage shoes there. Good going.

« Reply #160 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:46:13 am »
Got up at 4 this morning to avoid the heat.  It was already daylight.  Did a steady 6k and safely back home before the scorcher started.

Very happy about that. 

And I note that suddenly Garmin thinks that my training is productive.  I wish that it would make it's bloody chip up.

« Reply #161 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:02:53 am »
"Unproductive" today. Mostly because I gave blood on Sunday and so today's 5k was harder work for less reward.

But it's also a lot to do with the type of training I do, most of which is running at roughly the same pace. (I'll start to vary it when I get down to 90kg and I start some intervals, just a few weeks to go.)

Right now I'm in the classic "slow runs too fast and fast runs too slow" bracket.

The "Load Focus" report from my Garmin seems to confirm this:-

Not enough anaerobic, not enough low aerobic, more than enough high aerobic.

(Looking back a few weeks it gets as bad as 0 / 1410 / 11.)

Intervals should help this as they'll replace a constant high aerobic run with some partially anaerobic work (but still mostly high aerobic) mixed in with low aerobic work (the recovery walking sections and the warm-up and cool-down jogs).

Returning to the bike and the pool will also help, I don't have the Load Report data for that long as I've only had it since switching to my 945 (the 935 didn't provide it) and that's only been the last month or so, so no swimming or cycling. I would have loved to have seen the numbers for weeks when I was doing 12h+ (4h running, 2h swimming, 5h cycling, 2h 5-a-side).

« Reply #162 on: 24 June, 2020, 03:25:59 pm »
Load report is interesting, but... question

It reports on high and low aerobic - which probably matches the descriptors on the 935 zone display. I suspect that would suggest too much high aerobic for me as I tend to do easy runs in the upper part of zone 2. Them threshold and short intervals will be lumped together into anaerobic?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Speed first or base first - that is the question:)

« Reply #163 on: 24 June, 2020, 05:57:49 pm »
Well did another 5k this morning. Slower this time as I had a full half hour to play with now I'm on week 9.

Ankle/foot was quite sore for the first couple minutes running to the point where I was considering aborting the run and trying again after another day of rest but it eased off and I got round ok. Bit sore now mind.

Didn't get out as early as planned and even at 10am it was _el scorchio._

Two more runs and that's C25K done!

« Reply #164 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:52:45 pm »
Well did another 5k this morning. Slower this time as I had a full half hour to play with now I'm on week 9.

Ankle/foot was quite sore for the first couple minutes running to the point where I was considering aborting the run and trying again after another day of rest but it eased off and I got round ok. Bit sore now mind.

Didn't get out as early as planned and even at 10am it was _el scorchio._

Two more runs and that's C25K done!

It wasn’t cool at 0730 - chapeau to PB for his very early start!

Nice and easy 5 miler this morning.

« Reply #165 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:50:13 pm »
I have been chasing daybreak over the past few weeks.  It's really nice to be running at not only the coolest part of the day but generally to have my running safe place to myself.

I'll be getting up early on Friday then resting over the weekend in preparation for a tilt at a 5kPB on Monday to round off a month with the most k's run since I got back on the horse at the end of January.

« Reply #166 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »
I have been chasing daybreak over the past few weeks.  It's really nice to be running at not only the coolest part of the day but generally to have my running safe place to myself.

I'll be getting up early on Friday then resting over the weekend in preparation for a tilt at a 5kPB on Monday to round off a month with the most k's run since I got back on the horse at the end of January.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #167 on: 25 June, 2020, 12:35:25 am »
I went out at 9:30pm and did a steady 5k. It wasn’t cool though. And I struggled to get going but after the first k I settled in to it without much further issue.

New head torch, hung around my neck, and a flo-yellow tee made me much more visible than the other evening.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #168 on: 25 June, 2020, 08:43:11 am »
Madness Beardy.  It was 25 degrees here at that time last night!

Looking at the forecast I am considering switching my plans to online pilates and HIIT for the next few days with my tower fan at full tilt then getting up early on Sunday for the 5k attempt.

Bloody weather.   Need to keep a close eye on how it develops.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #169 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:14:10 am »
I’ve been threatening to get the erg machine out but Dr B is being difficult about where I put it and the garage is too full of TQT fo me to put it up I’m there.

« Reply #170 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:28:10 am »
Yeah I nipped out on the bike for an hour at 9pm yesterday and it was still very warm.

« Reply #171 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:29:53 am »
Nice run this morning, although a couple of online beers and a late dinner meant I struggled a bit with the 6 x 4min threshold intervals. Hey ho, it was sunny and comfortably warm, and I enjoyed being out.

I should admit that I quite like the heat really - just go steady and plod along:)

« Reply #172 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:16:45 pm »
I should admit that I quite like the heat really - just go steady and plod along:)

Indeed. It got to 27oC during the Brighton Marathon one year (2017?). It's not nice but it's useful to get used to running in heat. Helps train your body's cooling systems.

I was done by 9.30am yesterday and I intend to be out even earlier tomorrow morning.

« Reply #173 on: 26 June, 2020, 09:48:08 am »
Speaking of which. 5k this morning, lovely and warm and humid, ugh. But 11% of the way there according to the watch:-

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #174 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
I’ve just returned from an ‘easy run’. I had to slow to a walk twice, once just short of 30 minutes and finally after a further 5 minutes running.
I was dreading the analysis, but it turns out the reasons for me needing to walk was my pace was a bit higher than normal! I’ve just smashed my 5k Pb by 2 ½ minutes. Still a pedestrian 36:06 but very heartening all the same. It motivates me to work on my weight, just think how much better I could do if I could lose 10% of my mass.