Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144335 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #225 on: 15 July, 2020, 01:15:30 pm »
Excellent work Sir.

As you're "on the programme" you might as well follow the dictat of the ToJ through and see what you get.

I seriouy considered doing the coaching bit but in the end decided to do what my previous experience of running long distances in the eighties and nineties worked for me.  I am mulling over joining the local club and getting myself a proper running coach.  Lofty ideas though and my current strategy is working well enough to satisfy me if not always the ToJ.

Having said this it seems that I am still priductive this week but apparently at risk of over training.  Ho hum ...   🤔

« Reply #226 on: 17 July, 2020, 06:35:06 am »
It's a bit warm for my liking already today but I have already been out for an easy 8k, 25k for the week.

12k due on Monday.  I will be hoping for cooler weather ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #227 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:05:32 am »
Nice distance for the week.

I’ve just paid for my lazy start as I’ve just got back from a very sweaty 5k. It was a difficult start as well. It was only planned as a 25 minute run, but I decided to do 5k instead. I did nearly change my mind more than a couple of times, but managed it in the end. Much more of a head game today than just my body.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #228 on: 17 July, 2020, 04:45:50 pm »
Haven’t posted on here for a while.  :(

No point in going into it - I lost the urge, in the early stages of lockdown.

So, just acquired a Garmin 245 Music. The music end of things worked ok - pairs with hearing aids, thus avoiding massive disappointment. Controls on the watch seem a bit fiddly for volume adjustment or pause when running.

I’m looking at Garmin’s own 5k plans. I think I’d prefer to carry on with the NHS Couch to 5K. The options seem to be:

1. Download C25K app from ConnectIQ which acts like an data field that can be added to a Run page. I have done this, and it would appear to work, but I am confused by this bit:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a1eb20b5-5caf-4f87-a196-f28283dcdbbd#0
This is simply a new data field, so your activities will still be recorded and tracked while you train. I recommend creating a new activity for your Couch to 5k training runs by copying your existing Run activity, then adding the Couch to 5k data field to this new activity. This way any other runs will not auto advance the Couch to 5k field to the next day.
  ???

2. Create own programme in Garmin Connect, using same intervals etc. as C25K. How laborious that would be for an 8 week 3x per week programme... although there are a lot of repeats I suppose.

3. Would it possible to have the C2K programme as an album, one track per day? I know it is available as a podcast, but only on iTunes unless I’ve missed it.

Must admit, in 1 and 2 I would miss the prompts and what-not.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #229 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:05:16 pm »
3. Would it possible to have the C2K programme as an album, one track per day? I know it is available as a podcast, but only on iTunes unless I’ve missed it.

Can download them all as MP3 files here, click the link for each week. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
Just copy them onto the watch, should play the same as any other music.

« Reply #230 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:14:12 pm »
Yeah that's how I did it. Got a watch to record the runs and a previously acquired MP3 player with the podcast on to tell me what to do.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #231 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »
2. Create own programme in Garmin Connect, using same intervals etc. as C25K. How laborious that would be for an 8 week 3x per week programme... although there are a lot of repeats I suppose.

Took me ~20 minutes on the website to do all of them, once you've done one you'll get the hang of it and they get easier as it goes on. Many of them are the same so you don't have to create 3 for every week. Then 5 minutes to drag them to the calendar in roughly the right place[1], then sync.

I don't wear headphones when I run so I needed the watch to tell me what to do.

1. That way you press the top right button to go into activity mode and it says something along the lines of "Do you want to do X that you have scheduled for today?" and you can press again to cue it up.

If you don't end up doing the run on that day then it's a bit of a faff to go through the workouts to find the right one and start it, but no more of a faff than I usually do before starting a run anyway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #232 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »

Can download them all as MP3 files here, click the link for each week. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
Just copy them onto the watch, should play the same as any other music.

Ah ok, I looked at that page but didn’t click on any links as I assumed they were for iTunes. Thanks.

Took me ~20 minutes on the website to do all of them, once you've done one you'll get the hang of it and they get easier as it goes on. Many of them are the same so you don't have to create 3 for every week. Then 5 minutes to drag them to the calendar in roughly the right place[1], then sync.

I don't wear headphones when I run so I needed the watch to tell me what to do.

1. That way you press the top right button to go into activity mode and it says something along the lines of "Do you want to do X that you have scheduled for today?" and you can press again to cue it up.

If you don't end up doing the run on that day then it's a bit of a faff to go through the workouts to find the right one and start it, but no more of a faff than I usually do before starting a run anyway.

Might give it a go, thanks. I see what you mean about the missed run situation. Nevertheless, it might be a better solution than the podcast method, e.g. alerts than do not depend on connection to hearing aids.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #233 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:26:38 pm »
Sgt P, do you wear your hearing aids when running? You mentioned that you can connect your watch to your hearing aids, is that because you’ve bought them privately or do you use an intermediary device to connect Bluetooth to inductive coupling?

I’ve broken one of my hearing aids and need a retest as well. But the ear clinic is closed at the local hospital so I need to post the broken one to them. I’d love some Bluetooth connectable aids, but they were too high end for the NHS at my last fitting.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #234 on: 18 July, 2020, 07:20:18 am »
I found it easier to follow the NHS app from my phone which I wear on my arm using a Quadlock armband and case.  I also religiously created custom workouts on my Garmin which at the time was a 735XT for each of the three runs for the coming week.  It doesn't take long.

Nice distance for the week.

I’ve just paid for my lazy start as I’ve just got back from a very sweaty 5k. It was a difficult start as well. It was only planned as a 25 minute run, but I decided to do 5k instead. I did nearly change my mind more than a couple of times, but managed it in the end. Much more of a head game today than just my body.

Thanks.  I am on target for my first 100k month.  In January I did just 7.3k!!!

At least you did get a run in.  A run is a run.

I hate it when my brane is telling me to stop during a session.  It is crackers that our own brands seem so determined to undermine our own efforts. 

Keep on going.  👍

« Reply #235 on: 18 July, 2020, 10:20:57 am »
Sgt P, do you wear your hearing aids when running?

Yes, bought privately. I do have NHS-issue hearing aids too, for back-up. I think there is a of regional variation in what the NHS provide, but in my case I’m afraid I found the privately bought ones to be much better in terms of sound quality and fit. That’s partly down to lack of follow-up for adjustment and odd local choices as to ear mould design. Having said that not all privately-available hearing aids suited me either.

Current ones are Bernafon Zerena 9s and I have a Soundclip device which receives Bluetooth then transmits that to the hearing aids. All works fairly well. There are hearing aids that connect to Bluetooth devices directly but at the time such aids were iPhone only. Since then I believe Android-compatible devices have come along.

I found it easier to follow the NHS app from my phone which I wear on my arm using a Quadlock armband and case.

It probably is easier, it’s what I have done up to now, but I am keen to see if I can avoid carrying a phone on runs.

« Reply #236 on: 18 July, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
I hate it when my brane is telling me to stop during a session.  It is crackers that our own brands seem so determined to undermine our own efforts. 

I hate running[1]. I love having gone for a run.

1. Most of the time. Running more slowly means it's much less unenjoyable.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #237 on: 19 July, 2020, 01:03:07 pm »
I hate running[1]. I love having gone for a run.
That was the way I felt when I first tried running, about thirty years ago.
These days weirdly I do actually enjoy the process, most of the time.
So maybe you'll learn to love it one day.  :)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #238 on: 19 July, 2020, 04:10:52 pm »
I hate the first 1k or so, some days REALLY hating it, others less so. But once I’ve got into the rhythm of the thing I quite enjoy it now. I’m looking forward to losing more weight because I think that will make a big difference. 

« Reply #239 on: 19 July, 2020, 07:11:33 pm »
I love running.  I love the solitude, the thinking time, the feeling of freedom.

I hate getting out of the door some days but once I am out all is well.

« Reply #240 on: 19 July, 2020, 07:31:25 pm »
I love it too but that didn’t prevent me from just stopping one day, in full knowledge of the benefits.

Planning to start again this week.

« Reply #241 on: 19 July, 2020, 07:33:51 pm »
I love running.  I love the solitude, the thinking time, the feeling of freedom.

I hate getting out of the door some days but once I am out all is well.

This is how I feel. Plus I love the feeling of running, of flowing over rough ground or padding, metronome like, along the pavement. Then there is changing weather and seasonal scents. It’s all good to me, but I have been doing it more or less since I was a little’un - which is quite a long time ago.

Did 9 miles yesterday at a reasonably hard level of effort and the, for a change, went for a bike ride today. I was reminded how different the demands are as the ride wore on...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #242 on: 19 July, 2020, 07:46:59 pm »
Ah yes, the nature. I’ve become more aware of the stuff around me than I have been for a long time. There was a red deer on the roadside last week and I passed within a metre of her while she dithered between running across the road or running in front of me. I also see far too many dead muntjac deer on the roadside. If I wasn’t so deaf or plugged into my sounds I’d probably hear lots of birds as well.  :D

« Reply #243 on: 20 July, 2020, 06:59:41 am »
Out for a sparrow-farting 12km this morning. 

As the sun heaves itself over the rooftops and tree canopies the birds sing and the little creatures scurry about in the bushes and hedgerows.  Other early risers amble along whilst their canine companions bound along stopping only to stick their inquisitive snouts into clumps of undergrowth or curiously sniff a suspicious pile of detritus. 

They all know me well and ignore me just as they would a notice on the park railings or a bag of something unpleasant hanging from the low hanging branches of a tree.  😕

And now?  Feet up, coffee to hand, porridge in the pan.  Great start to my week.  😀  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #244 on: 20 July, 2020, 10:37:14 am »
Very poetic.  :D

My outing wasn’t as late as last time, but still getting very warm. And only 5k for me, but something completely different. I explored some of the off road paths this morning, so needed to stop and review the map. I’d checked the map before I set off, so I knew roughly where I was going, though I’d not gone as far as plot a route. GPS devices make such navigation a trivial activity, especially when they are using OS maps.

The result was of course that the ToJ proclaimed it unproductive, but I don’t care because I really enjoyed it.  :smug:

If I’m going to explore more of these paths I’m going to have to consider some sort of anti-tic protection for my lower legs. There are a lot of deer hereabouts and the last thing I want is Lymes disease.

« Reply #245 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:12:47 am »
Ah.  My ToJ is still proclaiming me as productive although I don't believe the duplicitous silicon devil.  Sounds like a nice, easy leg stretch. 

For my Wednesday effort I am considering a gentle bimble along a former railway line turned sheltered place to walk and part of a Sustrans route to nowhere.  I need to do 6k and the section in question is just over 3k long, so there and back!

And, it gives me a feeble excuse to try the Brooks Cascadia 14 trail shoes that I picked up in a wide fitting for a bargainous price a few weeks back.  I bought them to replace a pair of Inov8 Parkclaw 275 GTX which I do not get alonv with so well.  A bit too tight for me across the forefoot.  Only 8kns use too.  🙁

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #246 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:21:05 am »
I would have expressed an interest in the Park claws, but given your description and my W I D E plates of meat, there’s little point me even enquiring about the size. In any case, given how dry it’s been of late, the ground is hard enough for road shoes.

« Reply #247 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:23:13 am »
I’m unproductive at the moment... it always follows if I miss a bit and then ramp up. I think it picks up the loss of fitness alongside increased volume and draws a wrong conclusion. It reverts after a few days.

Tbh, I like the total training load metric and the recovery time. Training effect is also useful, with the caveat that it might decide an easy 12 mile run is only 3.0, but my legs know it was 12 miles!

« Reply #248 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:24:32 am »
I would have expressed an interest in the Park claws, but given your description and my W I D E plates of meat, there’s little point me even enquiring about the size. In any case, given how dry it’s been of late, the ground is hard enough for road shoes.

I’m on my second pair of X-Talon 190s. I’m now trying to preserve them for the territory they belong on and using other shoes for trail at the moment.

« Reply #249 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:42:52 pm »

I too am a wide foot.  I have found Brooks 2E width fitting available in a limited number of their shoes is perfect for my flippers!  I bought the Cascadia 14's as they get reasonable reviews and I found a 2E width fitting version.

I agree that the ground is quite firm just now but I just feel the need to give them a run out.