Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144375 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #575 on: 24 September, 2020, 10:54:31 am »
Haven't been out for a dedicated run almost 3 weeks now. Still playing 5-a-side twice a week and doing lots of swimming but I've had a bit of lower back pain (that kind of resembles sciatica) that comes and goes which is interesting as I've never had any back/nerve troubles ever. Don't want to exacerbate it by running so I'll lay off it for another week or so and then try a gentle 5k.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #576 on: 24 September, 2020, 03:42:07 pm »
Still staggering round my 5km course with Jeff (I'm learning!) two to three times a week, and riding a hilly 30km circuit at the weekend when I can.  I'm still on furlough, which means I have the time to concentrate on fitness. In other news, I've dropped 10kg since my surgery last year as a direct result of regulating my diet and fitness better.  It's working, slowly but surely. One day, I may even be able to run the whole 5k!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #577 on: 24 September, 2020, 04:04:47 pm »
I've not been out for a run for ages it feels like. My cycling training has been taking all my time, and I'm wary of over training and / or injuring myself. My weight is still coming down and I'll pick up the running again soon I'm sure.

Still super impressed with all the runners in here who are getting out there.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #578 on: 24 September, 2020, 05:00:18 pm »
Did Week 5 Workout 2 today. Was OK still, I don‘t ever find myself thinking of giving up. Mind you, my pace per km is around 09:20 so not much faster than walking!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #579 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:19:31 am »
So, I am up and in my running kit, the weather is about perfect for me in spite of Mr. Met's erroneous forecast of rain and I am feeling physically capable.

Why is my brane wobbling?  Where has my motivation gone?

There are silly little seeds of self-doubt floating around inside of my head.  Why?

I need to do this run to lay some foundations for my half marathon distance plan.  As it is September's mileage will be lower than August's which was the lowest since April. 

A downward spiral is so difficult to overcome.

« Reply #580 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:53:23 am »
Well, that was an embarrassing fuss about nothing.

I scraped my sorry carcass across the threshold and out into a cool and cloudy morning.  Walking to my start point I remained full of woe.  Once on the trail I started to run but immediately stopped as my right knee was oddly simply not functioning properly.  The first thought was to go home,:  the second thought was to walk and within about 20 metres I had started to trot.  All was well.

Another 6+ km on the trail with a short visit from Uncle Jeff at just past 4km and yet a fastest average by a clear 20 10 seconds per km for my trail sessions.  Quite surprised.

Less surprising is that Garmin doesn't appear to be updating online at the moment ...

Next session: 7km road on Monday.

*  Edited for maths fail on average pace.  Still surprised me though.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #581 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:45:11 am »
It would seem that I am playing host to the black dog and he most definitely does not like going out. The irony is of course that exercise would help in sending him packing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #582 on: 25 September, 2020, 09:22:10 am »
I feel for you Beardy.  I don't really know how I pushed through this morning, I just did  There are days when I simply cannot.

I didn't enjoy my run at all today until I finished.  Somehow that was the most satisfying moment and suddenly I felt great.  Knowing that I will feel a level of elation at the finish doesn't do much to get me started though.

I'm not looking forward to pushing for half marathon distance through the autumn alone so please pull on those shoes and get out there.  Polar Bear needs YOU!

« Reply #583 on: 25 September, 2020, 09:53:34 am »
I feel for you Beardy.  I don't really know how I pushed through this morning, I just did  There are days when I simply cannot.

I didn't enjoy my run at all today until I finished.  Somehow that was the most satisfying moment and suddenly I felt great.  Knowing that I will feel a level of elation at the finish doesn't do much to get me started though.

I'm not looking forward to pushing for half marathon distance through the autumn alone so please pull on those shoes and get out there.  Polar Bear needs YOU!

I feel all of this so often as well as beardy's comments.  Why is it so hard to self motivate?  I too need everybody on here.  we are all going at different rates and speeds, we will all have blips but we need each other.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #584 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:06:09 am »
Thank you gents, that’s actually a big help. The dog is still sitting on me, and the weather we’re having isn’t exactly encouraging me to shake it off, but your words of support mean so much.

Am all tearing up now.  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #585 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:35:06 am »
I'll take the dog for a walk Beardy.  Boot up, slam on the Aftershokz and pound the pavements Sir.

« Reply #586 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
I don't get this running malarkey!

I did my fourth ever 10k on Wednesday and squats for the first time in three weeks yesterday so when I eventually dragged myself out the door (into what was quite a cold wind) I only had my sights set on a steady 5k. Wasn't looking at the watch for pace, not specifically keeping to a slow pace, just running by feel apart from the 1km lap marker where I had a quick look to see how long that k took.

Well the first four k were at pretty much my usual cruise pace (~5:20/km) and I didn't feel like it was hard work holding that so decided to see how fast I could do the final kilometre. Somehow, despite stopping to give a driver directions into town, I did that final one in 4:30 and ended up with my third fastest ever 5k.

I've had runs where I've tried for a fast time and gone slower!

Of course after the last few days my calves are letting me know about it so after I finish this restorative beer I'll have a quick shower and then we can stick homemade sourdough pizzas in the oven and chill out ont' sofa.

My plans for a long bike ride tomorrow will be reviewed when I wake up and see if I can move.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #587 on: 26 September, 2020, 01:43:07 pm »
I really didn't feel like going for a run on Friday morning, but it's part of our routine, so out I went.
Once I got going, of course, it was fine. One of the best (==fastest) runs for ages.

This may not help everyone, but I programme my running weekly. I don't decide 'today, I will go for a run'1.
'Normally' this is because I need to fit running in with things like going away for the weekend or going out doing something else physical in the evening, but of course that hasn't been an issue for the last six months.
What I have settled down to is running on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings before work, then doing a longer run on Sunday morning. MrsC has Pilates classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, so we've both 'done something' on those days. She now expects me to go out on those mornings.

As I said, may not help for everyone, but it takes the decision away from the early morning feeling.

[1] I do occasionally add an extra run in when I feel like it, but that's rare.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #588 on: 26 September, 2020, 02:14:41 pm »
Just did Week 5 Workout 3, the 20 minute run. It wasn’t a problem running for that long although I am really slow. My fastest 1km was in week 1 when I was walking a lot!

I expect once I get to 30 minutes or 5k I won’t go for longer runs but try to speed up within my 30 minutes. At this rate I can only do 3k in 30 minutes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #589 on: 26 September, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »
Speed isn't important AH unless you are an elite athlete preparing for a world class event.

Once I got over the pace and distance thing I have been more relaxed about my running.

Good to see so many of you guys getting out.  👍

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #590 on: 26 September, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »
Noticeable also that my heart rate is hugely higher when jogging than cycling - I averaged 175 today and saw 185 at one point. Seems very high for jogging so slowly but hey ho. In the velomobile when riding without any food that day i don’t get much above 100. After the cake stop I am at 130. Clearly jogging is a very different form of exercise for me.

« Reply #591 on: 26 September, 2020, 05:52:36 pm »
In the few years that I had a hrm-capable wearable and was still cycling I noted just how infrequently my heart rate exceeded 100 let alone reaching anywhere near the 160-ish average that my running sees me achieve. 

An hour running takes far more out of me than a day in the saddle ever did.

« Reply #592 on: 26 September, 2020, 06:34:58 pm »
Another 4.7k in the bag.

« Reply #593 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:28:17 am »
A chilly 6km this morning which turned into a 7km.  👍

Switching shoes as I am at the moment I took the Brooks Glycerin 17's.  At 6km I checked my time as that is the exact same 6km route I have been running over the past few weeks.  Some may recall that I thought that the Glycerins were somehow giving me a couple of seconds per km over the Brooks Ghost 12's.  Well, same again today.  Clearly this cannot go on forever but for some inexplicable reason I seem to be a tad quicker in the heavier and slightly less comfy Glycerins than in the lighter, plusher Ghosts.

Have to say though that I think, all things considered that I prefer the Ghosts.

Everything felt good today:  no inexplicable wobbly knee issues, no negativity, even decided to addnon the extra 1km rather than end at 6km.  Must be careful not to get too positive!

« Reply #594 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:32:20 am »
So, to echo Steve, I don't get this running malarky.

While on holiday I did a few runs, some on rough hillside paths strewn with loose rocks. My legs and ankles were fine. That's surprising, given I have an ankle with ligaments missing.

Two runs this last week. One on a road, the other starting on a road and the rest on a grassy path. Knackered my ankle. Twice nearly turned it over completely and just got away with an impingement injury.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #595 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:22:15 am »
Headed out to do a run. Then needed to urgently evacuate my bowels so came home with only 2km done.
Breakfast and work then try again this evening.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #596 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:58:43 am »
Ok.

For such a very short run, there’s a lot to note

First off, I discovered another excuse I’ve been using over the last week. On top of the domestic busyness and the appalling g weather I caught myself justifying not going out this morning ‘because it’s not really worth getting my kit on for such a short session. Spoiler alert, I ignored myself. I have to say reading all your reports this morning was the final spur to getting out, so I thank you all for your updates.

The session was a benchmarking run for my Garmin coach ½ training plan, 9 minutes in all, a 5 minute run with 2 min warm up/down at each end

I suited and booted, but didn’t take water, phone or headphones.

Reader, I nearly died.

2 min brisk walk.

Then run. It’s the fastest and hardest I’ve ran since I started. It lasted perhaps 150m and I had to drop back to a slow and quickly slowing run. I managed another 200m or so and Jeff arrived. I did manage to run again within the 5 minutes, but is was a more normal pace for me and then a 2 minute stagger home.

I was really struggling for breath after the fast part, so I might be fitter than I was this time last year, but I am by no means fit.

My right knee has been giving me some grief over the weekend, and although it twinged a bit during the warm up, it doesn’t seem to have been a contributory factor to my near demise. It actually feels better at the moment as well.

I am officially benchmarked and on a half marathon trading programme.

« Reply #597 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:03:16 am »
mrcharly,

I have determined from experience that as shoes get higher mileages the midsoles become softer and it makes it easier to turn an ankle.  I gave myself an injury with my last pair of Asics simply because they "felt fine" but clearly I had taken them beyond their practical or perhaps safe working life.  Similarly, the shoes that I have recently retired began to feel less stable but also my times dropped of the edge of a cliff.

How many miles are there in your shoes?

chrisbainbridge,

My body has adapted to my routine and I "drop a little weight" before I run now every time.  I have cound myself half way round with a sudden need but also I find that the running seems to have firmed up bladder and bowel control though I wouldn't want to be half way round a marathon!  🤔  😉

Beardy,

Excellent news.  My 15 week programme starts in two weeks so I am putting in the steady foundation work for the next two weeks.  It will be good to have a virtual running companion along.   👍

« Reply #598 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:09:07 am »
no idea how many miles my shoes have done. Not a lot. I'm a slow, runner who only manages 10km at best, these days.

The only reason I can think (for the difference in outcomes) is that when running on rough surface, I'm using a completely different gait and foot plant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #599 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:12:17 am »
I use trail shoes for anything other than tarmac or flat hardpack.  Some think that it is overkill but I gain a lot of self assurance and thus confidence with more grip on even modestly gnarly bits.