Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143061 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #625 on: 03 October, 2020, 05:32:03 pm »
Gonna have to get used to this running in the rain lark. Actually, I enjoy the rain but I was mis-dressed for it; I'd tried to dress warmly on top to allow me to wear shorts, but it resulted in overheating while having cold knees.  ::-) Realised just how much difference it makes being able to swing wide on the tight bend at the bottom of "Cardiac Hill" (what they call it at hospital apparently) when I was unable to do so today due to drivers. Then experimented going down Pitch and Pay and back up Hollybush rather than vice versa – not sure this makes much difference. Eleven anna bit km but way too much time with Geoff to call it 10k.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #626 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:54:16 pm »
I did an actual training session rather than just running yesterday. And it hurt. Which means it's working right?

I'd set the watch to do 5x1km fast with 0.5km recovery between each. I hadn't set a pace target for the recovery sections as I didn't know if I'd be walking or running then but in the end I jogged all the recovery bar.

The fast sections though I'd set too narrow a pace target so I kept getting bleepings telling me to either slow down or speed up.

I'll reprogram the session for next time but I think it was mostly beneficial.

My arms and legs were shaking slightly when I got home so I know I worked for it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #627 on: 05 October, 2020, 05:47:43 am »
The weather is misbehaving again.  So much unpredictability.  🤔  🙂

Not sure what to do about it.  Try the gym app option again perhaps or do a daytime run outside ...

« Reply #628 on: 07 October, 2020, 09:53:07 am »
And another missed run.  Had a bad night of non-sleep and finally nodded off about half an hour before I had planned to rise.   Other distractions may result in no runs this week.  I was expecting this so nothing to worry about.

Normal service will resume next week with the start of my 15 week plan to half marathon distance.

« Reply #629 on: 10 October, 2020, 12:50:04 pm »
Moderators, please move this if in the totally wrong place

I probably now need some winter running kit, tights, base layers and a waterproof.

Having spent a number of years working my way through various manufacturers to mainly an Assos based set of kit what would be the equivalent largely overpriced, made for MAMIL running kit ;)

Thank you

« Reply #630 on: 10 October, 2020, 02:07:05 pm »
This MAMIL has a significant amount of Ron Hill kit:  Tracksters, t shirts and long sleeve tops as well as a jacket and two pairs of gloves.

Always decent value and durable I find.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #631 on: 10 October, 2020, 02:21:42 pm »
Did the first run of Week 8 today, so that's the 28 minute one.

Once again I didn't find it that difficult - I went a different route for a change but round here in the countryside in Germany it's pretty much great whatever direction i run in.

Here are all my runs since I started Couch25k which of course starts with lots of Jeffing:

What I have realised is that they change the music on the NHS Couch25k Podcasts so that you increase your cadence a bit. I always run to the beat of the music and you can see, from the cadence column, that I appear to have increased my cadence a lot since the beginning. Also I still have a very high heart rate (when I cycle my velomobile my heart rate is around 100-110!) but I feel like I have exercised afterwards and feel generally OK when running.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #632 on: 10 October, 2020, 07:39:35 pm »
Very impressive pace improvements.  👍

« Reply #633 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:07:28 am »
Moderators, please move this if in the totally wrong place

I probably now need some winter running kit, tights, base layers and a waterproof.

Having spent a number of years working my way through various manufacturers to mainly an Assos based set of kit what would be the equivalent largely overpriced, made for MAMIL running kit ;)

Thank you

For a lot of the year I use Decathlon lycra running bottoms - cheap, durable and just warm enough.
For cold weather (e.g. below zero, snowing) I have some winter tights, I think they are ron hill (will check later). These are the dogs; they come with some sort of water-phobic coating that means it takes sustained rain before they start to get wet. Really, really worth it.

For the top; merino. Plus a montane windproof if weather is really bad.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #634 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:47:24 am »
Today is run 1 of week 1 of my Quest 2 Half Marathon.  It is a 15 week plan with 3 runs per week.  I will do my half marathon distance if all goes to plan on the anniversary of my C25K journey beginning.

The schedule required a 6km run so I duly obliged.  What a fabulous morning for a run.  Cool, low light levels and not too busy even after 7:00a.m.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #635 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:18:43 am »
I’m back. Have you missed me?  :D I’ve got the black dog staying with me at the moment, which has made motivation a tricky issue. But it’s important not to beat yourself up about what you haven’t done, and acknowledge what you have done, no matter how seemingly insignificant it is. With encouragement from my rather wonderful partner in life, I put my kit on this morning and went out. And of course, the exercise has the added advantage of being therapeutic into the bargain. Seeing you lot cluttering up my thread with your activity is a double edged sword, but with the bonus PB PMs it’s an overall force for the good, however it made me realise I needed to get make an entry before people started asking questions about why this thread was called Beardy’s running log  ;D

Well it wasn’t fast, and I’m sure it wasn’t pretty, but it was a run with minimal visits from Jeff right up until I had to stop running due to a cramp. It’s the first time I’ve had a cramp while out running and when it first,started twinging I thought I’d just be able to run it off. Still, I got 7k done before I started my limp home so I’m happy.

My toes are cold though. Did you know running through fields of dew soaked leafy crops makes your ventilated running shoes rather soggy. And the freshly tilled fields were rather muddy as well so my shoes are two or three times heavier than when I set off.

I decided to ignore the coach training plan and just go out for run this morning. The sessions are complicated and I have been dreading the next one. I’m going to have to have a think about how to proceed. I’m also going to have to reconsider my route or think about how to waterproof my toes and the mud might actually be the really killer for the route. Lots to think about before my next session.

The temperature was much better for running though, and all in all a good session
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #636 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
We're back Beardy!  Rock on fella!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #637 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
I’m just back from my first ever 4K run.

Took me 31 mins 40 seconds but was my fastest moving average, finally got it under 8 minutes per km (was 7:53/km)

The workout should have been 28 minutes but I decided to keep going as I was a bit further from home than normal so had a longer walk back if I stopped running at 28 mins!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #638 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »
🙂

« Reply #639 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:53:42 pm »
Good to hear from you Beardy.

« Reply #640 on: 14 October, 2020, 08:51:13 am »
Leaving shortly to do my first daytime run since March 30th.  Feels weird but with temperatures dropping and daylight hours fading it's probably the sensible and safe thing to be doing.

I also have an action cam to test out so I will timelapse my lap of Draycote Water and enjoy the amusement later.  🙂

Quest 2 1/2 marathon week 1, run 2 coming up.

« Reply #641 on: 14 October, 2020, 12:29:52 pm »
That was tough.  The perimeter road around Draycote is very undulating.  Jeff visited and I quit at 6km which was the schedule distance for today anyway.  Even with Jeff along the pace was good so I'll regard it as not a fail.

Not convinced by the Brooks Glycerin shoes though.  I'll give them a few more outings but they give me an ache in the balls of my feet.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #642 on: 14 October, 2020, 04:46:01 pm »
I’m looking for sufficient ‘tuits to get my kit on. It’s dry at the moment so I’ve no excuse and I need to de stress after another 2 hours sitting with my son while he practices his driving. I’m struggling to make a decision re: road or track. I know I’ll get wet feet if I choose the track, but is that preferable to a lung full of ICE exhaust fumes? I could leave it a bit later when the roads will be quieter, but it’ll be dark soon and I’m not really set up for the dark just yet.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5kk I
« Reply #643 on: 14 October, 2020, 07:29:12 pm »
Run dun!

I’ve been avoiding popping into the forum all day in a form of denial, but decided to look about 4ish. Seeing PBs run report inspired me and posting my own pre run update seemed to be the final kick I needed to actually get out.

A variation on my off road route to avoid the paths that cross the ploughed fields, but with no planning. I enjoyed it though and even with Jeff’s interference it was still faster than Monday. Only 6k though, so although my right hamstring was twinging a little, it didn’t repeat Monday’s sulk.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the Garmin Coach ½ marathon plan is too advanced for me, so I will review alternatives and in the meantime carry on doing my own thing just so I actually get out. I’ll provide an update when I’ve made a decision.

« Reply #644 on: 14 October, 2020, 08:46:09 pm »
Regardless, great to see that folk are getting out again.

I have learned to regard my ToJ as simply a recorder of my activities.  Some of the data it provides is nice to have but in terms of it's algorithmic self-importance, not.

I did post weeks ago that I don't see how it can really be an effective coach because it cannot have that interaction that a personal trainer will have.  Too much functionality but a nice bit of kit.  Will still upgrade when the next version has eSIM.  Decided not to go Apple or Samsung at this time.

« Reply #645 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:39:21 pm »
Been a bit hit and miss on the holiday which was not as relaxing as planned.

Out this morning at 6.30 for 6km over fields and paths not as bad as expected in terms of mud. Hopefully another run tomorrow. Then away for a couple of days.

Back to almost regular hours this week and next so 2-3 days of cycle commuting an hour each way and squeeze the running and trying for a strength session as well.

Beardy. Well done. Glad to hear you are back it has been lonely without you. 😀

« Reply #646 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:50:48 am »

Out this morning at 6.30 for 6km over fields and paths not as bad as expected in terms of mud. Hopefully another run tomorrow. Then away for a couple of days.

Back to almost regular hours this week and next so 2-3 days of cycle commuting an hour each way and squeeze the running and trying for a strength session as well.

well, I managed to persuade myself overnight that i was going down with Covid as I felt hot and had a headache.  So did not go for a run but slept in and then realised we had slept with the window closed all night which explains why i felt as i did!!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #647 on: 15 October, 2020, 02:52:09 pm »
Not running for two weeks.  I had a tooth extracted on Tuesday (over-erupted and longtime sensitive) and it left me with an OAC, whistling like a steam train.  They pushed me back into the chair as soon as I spotted it, and then there was another 45 minutes of surgical cutting and packing and stitching.  A very sorry evening was had with Absolutely No Fun At All.   :(

I have ephedrine and doxycycline for 11 days, and have been sworn off running, cycling, sneezing, blowing my nose or bending down to tie a shoelace until it's healed enough to hold pressure.  Followup to include a hospital trip if it doesn't seal properly.  <sigh> it's not really been my year (and a half).

Taking it easy.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #648 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:09:02 pm »
That's rotten luck redshift.  Hope you mend properly.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #649 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:40:02 pm »

well, I managed to persuade myself overnight that i was going down with Covid as I felt hot and had a headache.  So did not go for a run but slept in and then realised we had slept with the window closed all night which explains why i felt as i did!!
A hyprochondric medic sounds like a route to a well informed case of paranoia  ;D
I’m glad you were wrong Chris, even if it does lead to some potentially awkward questions about your diagnostic skills.  8)

(I’m not fully convinced by some of the spellings in this post, but autocorrect hasn’t flagged anything...)