Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 432363 times)

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1550 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:55:13 am »
Welcome back αdαmsκι, 26 weeks to London  :thumbsup:

A big fat DNF for me at Abingdon marathon yesterday - I tweaked a hamstring in the week and could feel it tighten up after about 30 minutes so decided not to chance it. I seem to have reasonable form at the moment though, a 1:28:59 at Cricklade half the other week and a decent run in our local XC league, so hopefully this will be just a minor setback.

I've not hung about on here much lately. Although I was doing a fair bit of cycling over the summer (TTs and such), I could feel myself itching to lace up my trainers for the cooler autumn weather.

« Reply #1551 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:11:16 am »
Aha, running thread is back. I've put my training thread in further and faster, but worth noting that I've been out iny fell shoes and bought some new Road shoes for the dark winter evenings. Also joined Tyne Bridge Harriers with a view to running some cross country races over the winter.

No plans to run a marathon, but might have a crack at 5K in the spring and do some 800s with the masters track lads.

Mike

Oranj

« Reply #1552 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:44:51 pm »
Sounds good Mike. I didn't find the transition back to cycling too difficult in April - the fitness seemed to carry over quite a bit. I'm wondering whether I'll bother next year, I'm really enjoying just heading out the door for a run every day.

I joined my local athletics club a few years ago for the free cross country league races through the winter, but have also started training with their masters track group this summer. Definitely good motivation - they are too fast for me to even contemplate getting in the team for road relays and so on! I think that's going to be a real target for me in the next year, not to be dangling off the back of the "B" group  :o

Training with them definitely helped inspire me to a 19:53 5.24km relay leg in the summer, equivalent to ~18:58 for 5km which I was *very* happy about.

« Reply #1553 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:53:28 pm »
Yes, I'm interested to know what I can do for 5km at 50. I might do a park run soon to set a start point, but the combination of fitness, age and terrain mean it will be slow.

It seems that sub 20 is OK for V50 and 17 becomes a 'serious' time. Likewise, 800 is a distance I've not run for a long time and would be interesting.  I suspect I'll be hanging off the back of the b group too.

Oranj

« Reply #1554 on: 24 October, 2016, 03:33:05 pm »
Yep, 17 minutes is a serious time for V50. My old college buddy managed it with 17:47 last year at the Inverness 5k road champs (pan flat, up and down the prom, much faster than most parkruns): http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/files/self-transcendence-5k-290415-v2.pdf but I doubt I'll be ticking sub-18 soon. I'm off to Inverness for some orienteering and forest bimbling with him this weekend, should be fun if my hamstring holds out.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1555 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »

More worryingly, 8 days until I restart the weekly track sessions :sick:

I saw from Twitter you'd had to DNF the marathon, although I wasn't sure the reason. Hopefully the hamstring sorts itself quickly.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1556 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »

More worryingly, 8 days until I restart the weekly track sessions :sick:

I saw from Twitter you'd had to DNF the marathon, although I wasn't sure the reason. Hopefully the hamstring sorts itself quickly.

Apparently we're getting a track in Harrogate - only 30 years late... - sometime in 2017. Meanwhile 1 session of hills each week. Taking it steady at the moment though and trying to build slowly.

Mike

« Reply #1557 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »
Hoping I manage to shake off my chest infection in time to smash out a decent run in my season-ending Roaches Fell Race on 13 November.  I didn't get a place at VLM 2017 but that's probably just as well since Junior #2 is due in late March.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #1558 on: 27 October, 2016, 09:31:11 pm »
No VLM ballot place for me but I've already got a Brighton place so I'll be focusing on that and trying to get the weight down this time.

See you there. We rode a bit of PBP together between Tinteniac and Quedillac on the way out. I remember the downhill after Becherel thinking 'he's pedalling a bit fast going downhill'.  I'd never seen fixed before!
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #1559 on: 29 October, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
Park Run this morning for the first time in ages. Wanted a faster session and to get in a bit of mental prep for forthcoming cross country season. Happy(ish) with 21:57, but hope there's a lot more to come!

Mike

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1560 on: 29 October, 2016, 04:07:11 pm »
Since getting back to the UK I've done four different ParkRuns events, with today being a return to my "home" ParkRun. It was great to see familiar faces again, and it's easier running a known course. (I didn't get lost which is always a bonus!). My ParkRun times have decreased week by week over the past four events, probably helped because I've done over 50km of running in the past week.  Still doesn't mean I'm looking forward to the track session on Tuesday evening.

However, all of that was overshadowed by Pippa smashing her ParkRun PB by nearly 2 minutes & 45 seconds.  Clearly cycle touring has done her good :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1561 on: 29 October, 2016, 05:43:42 pm »
Since getting back to the UK I've done four different ParkRuns events, with today being a return to my "home" ParkRun. It was great to see familiar faces again, and it's easier running a known course. (I didn't get lost which is always a bonus!). My ParkRun times have decreased week by week over the past four events, probably helped because I've done over 50km of running in the past week.  Still doesn't mean I'm looking forward to the track session on Tuesday evening.

However, all of that was overshadowed by Pippa smashing her ParkRun PB by nearly 2 minutes & 45 seconds.  Clearly cycle touring has done her good :thumbsup:.

Well done Pippa!! Impressive gain.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1562 on: 29 October, 2016, 07:20:45 pm »
Let's see her knock another 2'45 off next week!
:P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1563 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:41:35 pm »
Not gonna happen. Certainly not next week and that sort of improvement would put me at sub 26 minutes, which I doubt I will ever hit.

TBF - the improvement comes because I'm a really slow runner anyway (my last PB was just shy of 31 minutes for 5km) so improving on that was always possible. It never happened previously as I never really trained properly (if at all). I haven't this time either (I've barely run most of this year) BUT, I have lost at least 15kg from that last attempt, so I suspect the gain is mostly from that. The question now is how much more can I improve through training. I very much doubt I'll shift any more weight; in fact I will have to be very careful to not put any on.

My aim has always been to run a 30 minute 5km so to hit a smidge above 28 minutes this morning makes me very happy, but it has also kind of reset the bar; now I want more, but how much more, who knows. Maybe 26 minutes? Seems like a tough ask though. I would love to run a sub 1 hour 10km.

« Reply #1564 on: 30 October, 2016, 12:01:59 am »
Not gonna happen. Certainly not next week and that sort of improvement would put me at sub 26 minutes, which I doubt I will ever hit.

TBF - the improvement comes because I'm a really slow runner anyway (my last PB was just shy of 31 minutes for 5km) so improving on that was always possible. It never happened previously as I never really trained properly (if at all). I haven't this time either (I've barely run most of this year) BUT, I have lost at least 15kg from that last attempt, so I suspect the gain is mostly from that. The question now is how much more can I improve through training. I very much doubt I'll shift any more weight; in fact I will have to be very careful to not put any on.

My aim has always been to run a 30 minute 5km so to hit a smidge above 28 minutes this morning makes me very happy, but it has also kind of reset the bar; now I want more, but how much more, who knows. Maybe 26 minutes? Seems like a tough ask though. I would love to run a sub 1 hour 10km.

Do some running and you may be surprised at what you can manage. Probably need to wear different shoes than in your avatar though;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1565 on: 01 November, 2016, 10:25:28 am »
Took the advantage of having to work from home today (washing machine repair) to set up family breakfast and head out for a run (there is one good thing about the clocks going back - I didn't need a head torch at 6.45am.  Explored a new route down the Loddon valley, 9.6 miles, with 8 miles off road and the rest on tarmac paths or tiny going nowhere lanes.  One section has a good 'nettle' test so legs are stinging a little bit, but otherwise OK, so hopeful for further progress going into the winter.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1566 on: 05 November, 2016, 05:14:22 pm »
Let's see her knock another 2'45 off next week!
:P

Unsurprisingly she didn't manage that, but still improved upon last week  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1567 on: 08 November, 2016, 12:40:45 pm »
From the centre of Basel to Bettingen, most of the way up to Sankt Chrichrona today.  Would have liked to have carried on to the top but didn't have enough time, so settled for 8.6 miles.  Probably a good thing as the groin niggle that surfaced at the weekend gardening needs a bit of TLC.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1568 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:13:07 am »
I entered the VLM ballot whenever it was (for the 4th ish time) not even in hope let alone expectation.  Imagine my surprise when the 'you have a place magazine' dropped through the letter box a few weeks ago.

I'm very excited about the opportunity but my personal circumstances are very different from my last marathon Brighton 2015) as I now have a young son and do my best to contribute at home.  All in all, I have not run since Nov last year and only made 3 or 4 relatively short bike trips - much to the despair of Audax Club Portsmouth.

I'm not part of a running club and have always been able to motivate myself through a 4 to 5 run per week schedule resulting in 4h20min ish times.  Schedule consisting of interval, tempo, long run with a recovery run or two.

I've got the trainers back on and have made 3no. 3 mile gentle jogs over the last 10 days.  The body didn't complain too much.

I reckon if I can get to somewhere near 8 miles by Christmas then I'll be in a place to start training proper in January.  I'd really like to give my best to the training so I enjoy the event as much as possible but need to be realistic that my spare time is much reduced.

Any tips on speeding up to get nearer the 4hr holy grail?  Is VLM the place to achieve a PB?  Is it just a matter of working at the interval session?

I've not used HRM for training in the past but hope to this time subject to Santa...

Anyone else in through the ballot?

Cheers

Blazer

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1569 on: 09 November, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »
Looked at my run schedule for my first marathon in 2013, I'd got up to 12 miles at Christmas, but then didn't run at all in January due to lurgy, work, travel, etc.  So on that grounds 8 miles seems like a fair target.  Was back up to half marathon distance by mid February.

« Reply #1570 on: 13 November, 2016, 10:00:43 pm »
I entered the VLM ballot whenever it was (for the 4th ish time) not even in hope let alone expectation.  Imagine my surprise when the 'you have a place magazine' dropped through the letter box a few weeks ago.

I'm very excited about the opportunity but my personal circumstances are very different from my last marathon Brighton 2015) as I now have a young son and do my best to contribute at home.  All in all, I have not run since Nov last year and only made 3 or 4 relatively short bike trips - much to the despair of Audax Club Portsmouth.

I'm not part of a running club and have always been able to motivate myself through a 4 to 5 run per week schedule resulting in 4h20min ish times.  Schedule consisting of interval, tempo, long run with a recovery run or two.

I've got the trainers back on and have made 3no. 3 mile gentle jogs over the last 10 days.  The body didn't complain too much.

I reckon if I can get to somewhere near 8 miles by Christmas then I'll be in a place to start training proper in January.  I'd really like to give my best to the training so I enjoy the event as much as possible but need to be realistic that my spare time is much reduced.

Any tips on speeding up to get nearer the 4hr holy grail?  Is VLM the place to achieve a PB?  Is it just a matter of working at the interval session?

I've not used HRM for training in the past but hope to this time subject to Santa...

Anyone else in through the ballot?

Cheers

Blazer

Hi Blazer

Sorry for being slow replying.

I'm afraid there is no substitute for interval work if you want to speed up, but what and how much will depend on your current fitness/capacity and your core strengths, as well as the event your training for.  From what you say, I'd just keep running regularly until Christmas and try to throw in the odd burst or fartlek session once a week. See how quickly you are recovering from each session then, as that's the key.

I know a chap who moved up to Ultra as he didn't have the time to do the amount of interval training he needed to perform as he wanted at the short marathon!

As I always (fail to) remind myself - don't try to progress too quickly and remember that total load includes work and family as well as running.

Most of all enjoy. I've huge respect for anyone who takes on on.

Mike

« Reply #1571 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
Hoping I manage to shake off my chest infection in time to smash out a decent run in my season-ending Roaches Fell Race on 13 November.  I didn't get a place at VLM 2017 but that's probably just as well since Junior #2 is due in late March.
Well, the chest infection is on the wane and I didn't really smash it out as such, but I struggled round and clocked 3:04 for the 15-and-a-bit very muddy, very slippery miles, the last 11 of which with a nice twisted ankle and matching big-toe blisters.

Oranj

« Reply #1572 on: 14 November, 2016, 01:30:41 pm »

I think I'd disagree with Mike about intervals - there isn't really any point in them until you've worked the endurance aspect a bit more than just running 4 or 5 times a week with a maximum of 8 miles in a single run. Maybe a tempo session once a week, but that's all. YMMV, of course.

« Reply #1573 on: 14 November, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
Without wanting to risk stating the obvious, you don't need to be able to run 7-minute miles to crack out 4 hours - consistent 9-min miles will do it handsomely if you have the endurance to not fade.  Runner's World's race predictor indicates 5k / 10k / HM times of 25:01 / 52:10 / 1:55:07 to be consistent with a 4hr marathon time.  As an endurance cyclist you're probably better-positioned to perform relatively better over longer distances, so don't be put off if you're not quite hitting these levels.  Try to include a long run of 13+ miles once a fortnight in the coming months; building up to about 22 miles, a month before the big day.  Use the long runs to get used to your fuelling and drinking strategy!

« Reply #1574 on: 14 November, 2016, 04:55:26 pm »

I think I'd disagree with Mike about intervals - there isn't really any point in them until you've worked the endurance aspect a bit more than just running 4 or 5 times a week with a maximum of 8 miles in a single run. Maybe a tempo session once a week, but that's all. YMMV, of course.

Probably not as far apart as all that. I wasn't suggesting intervals before Christmas, and even then dependent on recovery.

As Legs says, a few long runs too, although I agree that I don't like to do the more than once per fortnight.

Probably my oreference for shorter events is coming through - the mantra was 'never go far from speed'

Mike