Author Topic: Who has been paying IN to my Credit Card?  (Read 3447 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Who has been paying IN to my Credit Card?
« on: 16 June, 2020, 01:31:01 pm »
I looked at my finances yesterday, as you do.
All my transactions seemed to tally with actions I recalled and had credible references.
Then there was this
15 Jun 2020   13 Jun 2020   Payment   
DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT - THANK YOU

Credit card ending: ****
Posting date: 15JUN20
Organisation: DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT - TH

Other info: ANK YOU
Type: Payment

£29.48   -

This was an inpayment to my CC.

I can't remember anyone owing me anything.

Have I been hacked?

This seems so anonymous!

Re: Who has been paying IN to my Credit Card?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:33:27 pm »
Would have said it was a mistaken payment (by someone hoping to pay their own cc with a minimum payment?), these days there are supposed to be account checks to stop that

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:35:54 pm »
Does it match an outgoing payment, which might have been refunded for some reason?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:42:28 pm »
Nothing EXACTLY that amount. The Just Eat deliveries were a similar sum, were totally consumed with pleasure and no refund is due.

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »
Just ring your CC helpline and ask them to check it out Helly.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2020, 02:16:49 pm »
Another possibility is HM Government, if you're due any additional, perhaps covid related, payment.  They're good at failing to identify themselves.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2020, 02:25:48 pm »
Another possibility is HM Government, if you're due any additional, perhaps covid related, payment.  They're good at failing to identify themselves.

They're also good at making it impossible for me to access my account...
(I was successful on 11 Feb, failed 2 part authentication a month later, spent ages on the phone, still got nowhere, then COVID, now given up...)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2020, 02:29:32 pm »
Just ring your CC helpline and ask them to check it out Helly.

Thanks! Will do when

I have found the number
David will not be disturbed. He will need SILENCE for the next two hours.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2020, 04:40:46 pm »
Dunno about yours, Barclaycard, for instance, have a little 'query this transaction' icon next to each which lets you do just that.

It looks a bit like DD crediting you back for taking too much from a previous payment (which can happen if there's been a correction to a transaction). It's pretty hard to set up a DD to the wrong place, there are usually checks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2020, 04:56:27 pm »
I am a fecking div!!!!

This was my month's whole bill Direct Debit MINUS the refund by Transport for Wales for a Covid cancelled journey.

I am not used to my monthly CC payment being of this order as I usually pay for gas, milk, meals & sundries with it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:23:53 pm »
We had a temporarily mysterious payment the other day.

The government had decided that we were deserving of tax credits again, something we haven't received since 2010. Fortunately a letter arrived a day or two after I noticed the payment go into our account and I felt sure that we did not deserve it. It was a "Working" tax credit and since neither of us has had any paid (self-)employment for 2 years, I telephoned them to clarify the situation.

It seems that with the furloughing business and Covid, quite a lot of people who had once received tax credits but had stopped, suddenly became eligible again. A week or two later the relevant Gov. Dept. wrote to me thanking me for informing them about the change in our circumstances and because it was only a small amount, they were not going to bother to get me to pay them back. So I'm about £26 better off than I ought to be.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.