Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134531 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #425 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:40:55 pm »

Anyway great to see some familiar faces where my route coincided with the event. Didn't leave Dolgellau until about 9.15am so reeled in a few riders on the way.

My total for the weekend was 335 miles. Felt pretty fresh all day and really enjoyed the climbs.

You could have popped in and helped with the washing-up.

« Reply #426 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:59:24 pm »
I thought about it but worried that other riders might try and draft me going down King's drive thereby contravening AUK Regulation 9.9.3 and risking the validation of their ride.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

« Reply #427 on: 21 May, 2018, 07:20:56 am »
I find the revised route back via Llandrindod Wells a bit boring and traffic-heavy. I rather miss those roller-coasters on the road to Monmouth. .

I agree. It was fine to Llandrindod Wells, tho a bit dull. After Llandrindod Wells it was busy (well apart from the Boughrood road), esp riding into Abergavenny. Next time I'd avoid the A40 and go via Gilwern. It improves again after Abergavenny.

I also didn't like the start of the climb out of Talgarth.

However the Staylittle option is much better than going via Bow Street.

I usually take the lane to the left of the main road. It's steeper but shorter and safer

Another option, longer but not as steep, is the B4560 through Llangors & Bwlch.

Also, one day, I must try the alternative through Gilwern that adamski mentions, although that will require switching off the autopilot. 
The A40 through Abergavenny and the road back to Bulwark from there no longer needs any navigational input, the bike knows the way!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #428 on: 21 May, 2018, 08:42:26 am »
I've done the BCM um several times and that was the sunniest, most blue sky, least rain

The new route (new since 2015 istr) is good and bad.  The good is the Staylittle bit which in the loverly weather was stunning.

Caught up with old friends and made some new ones

More later

whosatthewheel

« Reply #429 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:01:36 am »
I think the way back should go through Hay on Wye, which should be a control. Then some will choose to go up the pass and some won't... seems to make total sense to me and avoids that horrible stretch on A 40. It also brings the mileage up where it should. be at 600 Km.
Besides, the Gospel pass shoul feature in every ride that vaguely goes through the area.  :thumbsup:
The talk above of the road being busy with tourists is nonsense, I have been up the pass many times and hardly ever met a car.

The diversion up Bwlch Y Sarnau proved to be a bit of waste of time... I did it anyway, but I kind of regretted not sticking to the main road, which wasn't too bad at all around 9:30 ish

« Reply #430 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:16:24 am »

The worst bit of the Newtown climb road is the early bit, before the diversion. Motorbikes hug the bends at high speed. Well before the turning the road widens and the sightlines are much better.

All but maybe 3 miles of A40 can be avoided by crossing the river at Crickhowell, then picking up the lane South of Abergavenny which emerges at Llanfair Kilgeddon.

The Talgarth main road can be avoided by taking the parallel lane that emerges at Pengefford.

Personally, I wouldn't take 200 riders down the South side of Gospel Pass, in summer, when they have 500k in their legs and might be sleep deprived. There can be debris in the road, walkers, loose dogs, cars etc. 

whosatthewheel

« Reply #431 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:23:21 am »

Personally, I wouldn't take 200 riders down the South side of Gospel Pass, in summer, when they have 500k in their legs and might be sleep deprived. There can be debris in the road, walkers, loose dogs, cars etc.

It depends on your perception of risk... I do trust myself more than I do trust bikers going at 90 mph. The south side is actually not a bad climb... the descent is a bit gravelly, but it's not too bad either.

Anyway, all academic... I have scratched the BCM itch and got my SR badge*, not sure I want to do that kind of distance again...  ;D

* subject to validation

« Reply #432 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:34:25 am »
At least one motorbike crash was witnessed by BCM riders this weekend. It's a fine line between being a witness and a participant. I hugged the corners on the Newtown ascent. Just as well as otherwise I would have possibly been hit.

As for the South side GP descent, the middle section gets very narrow, twisty, and can be wet and muddy, with stones and sticks.  It might be ok for you, but you have to remember that some riders will not have had any sleep at all and could well have been on the go for 36 hours by that point.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #433 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:42:42 am »

As for the South side GP descent, the middle section gets very narrow, twisty, and can be wet and muddy, with stones and sticks.  It might be ok for you, but you have to remember that some riders will not have had any sleep at all and could well have been on the go for 36 hours by that point.

OK, then how about Hay, then B road to Monmouth and down to Chepstow? Never done it myself, but on the map it looks straightforward and quiet and beautiful

Something like this, only adds 12 km, with an extra control at Hay in the middle, what's not to like?

https://www.strava.com/routes/13351444

« Reply #434 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:14:15 am »
After Llandrindod you are free to choose any route you wish, unless there's an info. However, the route you suggest is lumpy. The calendar route is more flowing. Most of the busy sections are avoidable with the lanes I mention upthread.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #435 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:23:06 am »
Anyway,

I thought the organisation was excellent, food at Kings was awesome and very healthy too!!

« Reply #436 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:04:49 am »
The worst bit of the Newtown climb road is the early bit, before the diversion. Motorbikes hug the bends at high speed. Well before the turning the road widens and the sightlines are much better.

All but maybe 3 miles of A40 can be avoided by crossing the river at Crickhowell, then picking up the lane South of Abergavenny which emerges at Llanfair Kilgeddon.

The Talgarth main road can be avoided by taking the parallel lane that emerges at Pengefford.

“The worst bit of the Newtown climb road is the early bit, before the diversion.”
Comment: I took the Middle Dolfor Road out of Newtown last year and climbed almost traffic-free. It is shorter and very easy to navigate.
“All but maybe 3 miles of A40 can be avoided by crossing the river at Crickhowell, then picking up the lane South of Abergavenny which emerges at Llanfair Kilgeddon.”
Comment: I took this route (to Llanfair Cilgedin) at dawn after the Llangattock control of the Brevet Cymru (in 2016). It’s a good minimal traffic route and avoids the A40, Abergavenny and the A40/A465 double roundabouts.
“Personally, I wouldn't take 200 riders down the South side of Gospel Pass, in summer, when they have 500k in their legs and might be sleep deprived. There can be debris in the road, walkers, loose dogs, cars etc.”
Agree. Climbing from the south is fine but descending that way has all those disadvantages  (which are not a problem descending into Hay) plus bends/poor sightlines and a poor surface with potholes (easy to avoid when climbing).
I think the way back should go through Hay on Wye, which should be a control. Then some will choose to go up the pass and some won't... . . . and avoids that horrible stretch on A 40. It also brings the mileage up where it should. be at 600 Km.

On the current route, the Aberhafesp control is at 440km. The Llanidloes Wells control is only 50 odd km further on and then 100+ to Chepstow. Here’s a route from Aberhafesp to Chepstow which is longer than the current route and rather than following the A483, and then retracing the route out (A470, the A479, A40, and via Usk) all the way home, from Dolfor it heads for Hay-on-Wye (as the control – almost exactly half-way): Aberhafesp, Newtown, Dolfor, B4355, Knighton, B4357, Old Radnor, B4394, Clyro, HAY-ON-WYE, Golden Valley (B4348/4347), Pontrilas, B4347/4233, Monmouth, B4393, Chepstow.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27563862

« Reply #437 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:45:56 am »
That bit's OK.  There's a cycle lane around the roundabout and once you're past the M5 the A38 is OK for riding.

You could go N to the B4057 and then take the Old Gloucester Road to Gaunt's Earthcott and over to Tockington if you wanted to avoid it.

Cheers Chris.

This is the track I have used for a few years. Avoids the worst of the main roads.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/SevernViewTL

BB
Just rode your route back to Parkway this morning. Very pleasant ride through lovely scenery. Definitely recommended. Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

« Reply #438 on: 21 May, 2018, 12:08:51 pm »
Middle Dolfor

I've often wondered about that road but never taken it, assuming it to be prohibitively steep. The main road is a beautiful and easy climb, marred by motorbikes.

« Reply #439 on: 21 May, 2018, 12:35:47 pm »
It is steep, I accidentally drove it once when my sat nav was set to "Shortest Route".  I set off from Kings at 3:45am so I'd be through that section before the motorbikers woke up. The downside was that the ride from Kings to Aberhafesp was very chilly.  Another very well run event, thanks to all the organisers and helpers.

« Reply #440 on: 21 May, 2018, 01:36:22 pm »
Well I agree with flatus..
It's a free route for the individual llandrindod wells.

The organiser has listened and offered the Bwlch y sarnau option if the motor bikes bother you.
This year the climb out of Newtown was realativly calm at midday
3 years ago the vroom vroom  was horrendous and I took the lane out of talgarth for some peace and quiet.

Having done the brevet a fortnight ago I chose to avoid the A40 and abergavenny and take the rolling road via gilwern picking up the route with a left turn and a downill lane to the chain bridge.
This was very peaceful and has excellent garage stops toilets etc.
Thanks to Robyn for that.

And a brilliant day thanks to those at kings who fed me at nearly closing time and a special thanks to the cooks at Menai.. only 3 of them and no light in the kitchen!

« Reply #441 on: 21 May, 2018, 03:49:31 pm »
Big thanks to all the volunteers, this event is truly special but one of the main reasons is the cheerful reception one gets at the controls. It also has to be said  that it is logistically managed superbly by the organiser.

PS.....motorbikes you say? I thought the Caterham 7s outnumbered the motorbikes this weekend!

« Reply #442 on: 21 May, 2018, 04:57:30 pm »
A pack-away wind-proof/water-proof should be enough for any sudden chills.  Or just pedal harder.

Bit more than a sudden chill out there ! Forcast 6 degrees, got 2 or 3 degrees out there at night and in the early morning on the way to Llandrindod Wells

« Reply #443 on: 21 May, 2018, 05:07:01 pm »
I really enjoyed being at the control in Aberhafesp seeing you all come through. The looks on faces of those who were early enough to sleep when they saw Duvets was brilliant.

Bit slow on taking up the offers of the volunteers but that last bed was very welcome  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #444 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:31:06 pm »
Posted on FB earlier today:

A friend of a friend has found a Garmin in Thornbury after checking it he thinks it may belong to someone in Chepstow,someone who has done a long ride recently to north Wales. Anybody know who this might be?PS it now* has a cracked screen.

There's something a bit ... unfortunate about that word "now", but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #445 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »
Garmin rage.

We've all been there.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #446 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:40:45 pm »

A friend of a friend has found a Garmin in Thornbury after checking it he thinks it may belong to someone in Chepstow,someone who has done a long ride recently to north Wales. Anybody know who this might be?PS it now* has a cracked screen.

https://twitter.com/balancingonmy_/status/998487867730087937 Possibly linked ???

I sent Graeme a message.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #447 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:55:35 pm »
Bit more than a sudden chill out there ! Forcast 6 degrees, got 2 or 3 degrees out there at night and in the early morning on the way to Llandrindod Wells

Yeah, it was colder than I was expecting on the ride over Trawsfynydd to Kings despite the sun having only just set. That sealed the deal for me to spend the night at Kings rather than pushing on to Aberhafesp. I then left Kings at 5am wearing knee warmers, arm warmers, long sleeved merino base layer, jersey, gilet, long fingered gloves and toe covers and had no need to remove any of that lot before I reached Aberhafesp.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #448 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:34:55 pm »
It's always great to read people's accounts of these epic rides. Awesome ridding everyone! I was out doing a test ride of the 'This not a tour 600km' this weekend. It was great coming across some of the BCM riders. It kept my spirits up. If you saw a cyclist going the wrong way near or just after night fall as you retuned towards Kings, that might have been me. I've put a few words on the TINAT website if your interested. http://tinat.cymru/2018/05/21/600km-recon/
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #449 on: 22 May, 2018, 05:40:11 am »

https://twitter.com/balancingonmy_/status/998487867730087937 Possibly linked ???

I sent Graeme a message.
I think this is mine! Left on top of my car whilst I put the bike in the back.. not that I was feeling tired at the end of this fantastic event! If I could get my ride back I would be very grateful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk