Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134505 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #700 on: 17 May, 2020, 11:08:24 pm »
Oof. That's bad luck.

I arrived back at (checks Strava upload) 22.48 (I'm a tiny bit behind on this post, got distracted) on my one and only Bryan Chapman (2009). Luckily it was a BR year, not BRM and so there was no problem with validation.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #701 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
2020, 8am.  Awakening lazily from a deep slumber in a warm and comfy bed, sun streaming through the window, remember that it's been BCM weekend: how does anyone manage 600km on the flat, let alone a hilly one through Wales? Must check on yacf to see how everyone's been getting on.

What a great series of posts  ;D
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #702 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
I meant to check the weather - what was it like this weekend? Was there a friendly wind that turned around on Saturday night?

S2L

« Reply #703 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:56:55 am »
I meant to check the weather - what was it like this weekend? Was there a friendly wind that turned around on Saturday night?

I think it would have been headwind both ways, except maybe from Menai to Kings for the svelte ones...

« Reply #704 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:58:30 am »
Thanks... but mostly dry this year?

« Reply #705 on: 18 May, 2020, 11:01:27 am »
I was going to have this year off and help instead.  I have tried not to ride it in successive years, though a scan through my records shows that I haven't always managed.  11 or 12 times, I think, out of something over 50 600s in total.

« Reply #706 on: 18 May, 2020, 11:04:26 am »
It was set to be the crowning glory of my triumphant return to an SR series...  Mind you, there's a whole Summer left (looks wistfully at calendar...)

« Reply #707 on: 18 May, 2020, 11:50:46 am »
Light to no wind on the way up, but not too warm (?16 or 17, less in Snowdonia). Light overnight (and mild). A developing westerly throughout Sunday, so help to Aberhafesp and then a lovely cooling crosswind till after the climb out of Talgarth, but then some help down and across the Usk valley to Bulwark. Moon not much help: 25% and not rising till 4am (cf last year's full moon, iirc).
Close to optimal conditions. What a bummer. Maybe 4 July will allow some riding independence (see other thread).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false

« Reply #708 on: 18 May, 2020, 01:17:39 pm »
Light to no wind on the way up, but not too warm (?16 or 17, less in Snowdonia).

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Never trust a weather forecast (or report) for Snowdonia. Saturday was a northerly wind; it would have been quite hard work from Beddgelert to Menai Bridge. It was about 12C in the day on Sat, cooler on Sun. Didn't rain.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #709 on: 18 May, 2020, 03:52:35 pm »
The BCM that never was

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #710 on: 18 May, 2020, 04:26:20 pm »
Mostly dry describes both my BCMs, but in the short time it wasnt dry it was very wet.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #711 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:15:32 pm »
Mostly dry describes both my BCMs, but in the short time it wasnt dry it was very wet.

You were lucky.  Twice

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #712 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:13:52 am »

You were lucky.  Twice
Consistent with every bike ride I have done in Wales.  I'm not falling for the wet weather myth. I think its spread by the Welsh to keep the English off their lovely roads

2x BCM
Snowdon and lakes
Brevet cymru
Dragon ride. (Scorcher feed stations were running out of water)

Every time sun cream more essential than rain jacket.
On the second bcm I nearly made it,  but it lashed down on the last climb before chepstow,  and then when I came down the other side the roads were dry and everyone was cycling in just short sleeves.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

S2L

« Reply #713 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:38:44 pm »

Snowdon and lakes

That was a stunning day... we got so carried away that we even went to visit the Aqueduct on the way back... I really miss John's events... it's probably one of the reasons I lost my Audax mojo. Camping at Upton Magna, breakfast, the magic of lake Vyrnwy (which seems to be a classic control in his rides)... and it was a short drive away

« Reply #714 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »
Yes, seconded. Just the best events I ever rode. Always felt like a journey and not just a bike ride.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #715 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:55:44 am »

Snowdon and lakes

That was a stunning day... we got so carried away that we even went to visit the Aqueduct on the way back... I really miss John's events... it's probably one of the reasons I lost my Audax mojo. Camping at Upton Magna, breakfast, the magic of lake Vyrnwy (which seems to be a classic control in his rides)... and it was a short drive away

I hadn't noticed that his rides were not being run anymore. Does this mean that the mille Cymru is over now? With LEL requiring now to commit too long before the event for me, I was kind of hoping that I might ridfe it again some day.
Chief cat entertainer.

S2L

« Reply #716 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:03:37 am »

Snowdon and lakes

I hadn't noticed that his rides were not being run anymore. Does this mean that the mille Cymru is over now? With LEL requiring now to commit too long before the event for me, I was kind of hoping that I might ridfe it again some day.

Unless he makes a comeback... last time I spoke to him he was enjoying not organising... he might miss it at some point or not. As for MC1K, the idea was that 2018 was going to be the last of the trilogy.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #717 on: 25 May, 2020, 03:07:59 pm »

Snowdon and lakes

Unless he makes a comeback... last time I spoke to him he was enjoying not organising... he might miss it at some point or not. As for MC1K, the idea was that 2018 was going to be the last of the trilogy.

Oh well, I need to find another one. The mille pennine might be a bit hard, may be the Lejog 1400... if one day we get allowed to get out again, I am fit enough with enough time!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #718 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:32:45 am »
Sorry to receive Ritchie's cancellation email this morning, but not surprised given the uncertain circumstances. It would have been my debut (indeed my first attempt at more than 200k) but no matter, hopefully next year. Thanks to Ritchie and his team for all their efforts to put BCM on one way or another, but it wasn't to be.

Hopefully see some of you at the potential alternative meet-up at Kings later in the year if at all possible.

« Reply #719 on: 05 June, 2020, 03:33:15 pm »
Indeed I kind of expected it but had a 300km or 400km planned for later this month as loops from house in preparation. I can just go back to continuing my 100km outings in the new normal now.  It’ll be good if the Kings weekend goes ahead, I’d like to attend that.

« Reply #720 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:05:23 pm »
Hi All, I can't seem to find the email from June, what date in 2021 is the hoped date for the event? I'm planning a tour and trying to not overlap for brownie point purposes!

« Reply #721 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:39:07 pm »
Hi All, I can't seem to find the email from June, what date in 2021 is the hoped date for the event? I'm planning a tour and trying to not overlap for brownie point purposes!
21 July e-mail: "Hi everyone  Final update on BCM 2020.
<<snip>>
BCM 2021 will be in the AUK calendar (as soon as it reopens) for 15 May 2021 but all controls are already booked and confirmed. However, the event is already full so won’t be open to new entries."

« Reply #722 on: 04 January, 2021, 04:08:13 pm »
If you're on the start list for 2021 (15 May, here's hoping) then a message from Ritchie is (or soon will be) in your inbox/spam filter.

« Reply #723 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:36:13 pm »
Hi All, I got the email from Ritchie on the 4th of Jan saying that BCM 2021 is a go for the 15th May, unless it becomes obvious that it cannot be run... I'm assuming its still a "Go"? Has anyone heard anything either way?

Cheers, Andrew.

« Reply #724 on: 28 March, 2021, 03:14:37 pm »
Hi Andrew, I had confirmation from Ritchie this week that it has been cancelled. An email will be sent out soon. He has already booked next year's event in the calendar.