Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225640 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1650 on: 09 February, 2024, 12:26:18 am »
Tonight was Geoff Norcott.

A very enjoyable evening...

It is simpler than it looks.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1651 on: 10 February, 2024, 09:12:13 am »
Soft Machine at the Gulbenkian in Canterbury last night. Absolutely superb.

The last SM gig I went to was on 12/10/73.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1652 on: 11 February, 2024, 01:59:50 am »
Mr Billy Bragg.

Enticed to a small town venue to play a guitar that didn't physically exist at 6:00am this morning.

We have a fantastic community workshop here and one of their projects has been to make guitars. Helping people with challenging conditions to get involved. One of the workshop founders managed* to ask Mr BB if he'd come and play one of their guitars. One that was made in 12hours, today.

The gig was a selection of people involved in the project playing, ending with an 80 minute set from Mr Bragg, playing on the very guitar that was made today.

Yes, pink pickups.

*piggedly kept on through restrictive layers to get to meet Mr BB...

« Reply #1653 on: 11 February, 2024, 10:00:41 pm »
Alessandro Cortini at the Barbican yesterday was good, but not as good as he was in Brighton in October. The support, KMRU, a young Kenyan sound artist, more than made up for this

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1654 on: 17 February, 2024, 12:02:16 am »
Just been to a local band night.  Mixed bunch, haven't gone through all the pics yet, but I thought this might be a keeper when I took it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1655 on: 18 February, 2024, 06:35:45 pm »
Last night was Rufus Wainwright.

He was excellent, but I didn't stay until the end, on account of being hungry.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1656 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:07:37 am »
Martin Turner at the Eel Pie Club in darkest Twickenham.  We didn’t let the von Brandenburgs know we were coming, thus there was considerable surprise.  Mr Turner gave me a namecheck at the end due to my arranging the use of the Fort Larrington motor-house for the storage of divers band-related Stuffs.  Yay!  Go me!

Edit: CBA to muck around with photos last night but...

Small stage ensures intimacy by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Mr von Brandenburg being Serious by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1657 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:25:14 pm »
My Chum Stumpy has a son who is in a band in Brighton, called Ever Elysian and I went to see them on Sunday at the Folklore Rooms, wot is a tiny venue above a Thee Pubbe.

They are not really my cup of tea, listed as "a seven-piece alternative band on the Brighton scene, bewitching listeners with their evocative prog rock sound and enthralling live performance." but are very good at what they do. I detected quite a lot of Pink Floydesque influence in their sound but not much in the way of verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus. 

There were two support acts, "Astral Gray", featuring a lead singer dressed as a wizard*, and not in a Roy Wood kind of a way and Nicolas & The Outlanders a Blues/Rock Psychedelic band. Six piece, including two backing singers who did fantastic justice to The Great Gig in The Sky.

Live music. Go and hear it.

* I messaged a colleague who lives in Brighton. "The lead singer is a wizard" "Welcome to Brighton" came the reply.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1658 on: 08 March, 2024, 11:12:56 pm »
Peatbog Faries. Lively Skye music. Saw them last year here, and was prepared for some liveliness. Can't choose a greatest photo, so this one will do for now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1659 on: 09 March, 2024, 11:19:11 pm »
So tonight wasn't sold out like the PeatBog Faries.

Reasonable number of people there.

Really lovely support band, Burr Island, two guys, one guitar, harmony singing. A Devonian Simon and Garfunkel.

Main act, The Blow Monkeys. Really funky, with a saxophone, which always scores with me. Lead singer - voice a bit gone, maybe an off night...

« Reply #1660 on: 12 March, 2024, 12:52:23 pm »
Rafael Anton Irisarri at Cafe Oto. Ambient like a hurricane

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1661 on: 12 March, 2024, 01:02:43 pm »
Rafael Anton Irisarri at Cafe Oto. Ambient like a hurricane

:thumbsup:

added to my playlist...

« Reply #1662 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:56:04 pm »
I go out virtually twice every weekend, supporting the live music in pubs and clubs in South Essex. Between 29th Feb and 3rd March, however, I got to see twenty or more of the fifty bands playing Legends of Rock "Yarmaggedon 12" 2024. 

This weekend I saw The Saviours at The Papillon in Southend, and last night I saw Solar9 at the Laindon Community Centre.

Looking forward to next weekend - Chinnery's are hosting Genesis Visible Touch again. First time I saw them, I was amazed at the accuracy of the reproduction of Genesis's studio sounds, live!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"