Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504194 times)

simonp

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #8750 on: 06 February, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »
Went out to the Stetchworth Roundabout on the A1303 on the way home, almost 5x my normal commute distance and didn’t find any ice. Got gritted.

The motorists in Cambridge were on their usual form. Single oncoming car ahead? Why, I’ll just overtake and swerve back in in front of the cyclist just in time rather than easing off for a couple of seconds.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8751 on: 06 February, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »
Don't have to be home early tonight, so where should I go to get some (relatively traffic-free) ice riding between Elephant & Castle & Sutton?

I popped across the river and along Embankment, then crossed Chelsea bridge to go round Battersea Park.  Not much ice :(

Up the hill to Clapham Common.  No ice at all. :(

Down to Tooting Common, where there was a bit.

Then home.

The roar and hum of the tyres was kinda hypnotic.  Well, at least I've done the running in (albeit after riding on the snow).
Getting there...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8752 on: 06 February, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »
Grrr.

A loud hissing noise, about 4 miles from home.

Followed by the discovery that the mini pump that I carry with me for emergencies was buggered.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #8753 on: 07 February, 2012, 12:27:25 am »
Popped a Zipvit gel for the journey home.  Worked a treat but my sugars are now 4.2 at bedtime, so I am now eating  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #8754 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:15:41 am »
Well. That was a hoot. I really love my Marathon Winters. Without them, I would be in A&E or the fracture clinic by now.

It was a lovely sunrise:

IMAG0297 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

But most of my 30km pseudo-commute looked like this:

IMAG0300 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

or mostly this (you'll have to take my word for it - there is NO liquid water in this photo):

IMAG0302 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

Where the slush was frozen, the ride felt a little uncertain; the tyres would bounce around and it would take a fraction of a second or so for the studs to reassert themselves.
But mostly, it was smooth glaze ice - probably 1 to 4mm thick, and I felt completely secure riding on this at up to 20km/hr. Any faster than this and there was a tendency for the front wheel to twitch rather alarmingly.

Cornering was of the slow - lean the body not the bike - variety. Braking was fine - and only led to one skid; which merely cut some nice grooves in the ice:

IMAG0305 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

A postman stopped me at Wortham Hall - he couldn't believe I was managing to stay upright. I showed him my secret - but he still thought I was barking. I couldn't really argue with him TBH.

« Reply #8755 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
The good: a mother stopped her kids from running out in front of me today; as I passed them I smiled and said thanks, and they all smiled back and chorused ‘You’re welcome!’, it was sweet. Also a pedestrian noticed me slowing for his zebra crossing, and smiled and waved for me to keep going.

The bad: going round the roundabout at the north end of Lambeth bridge, a car driver looked straight at me and pulled out. He’d been creeping anyway and I’d been ready for him to do something stupid, so a sharp brake meant I avoided hitting him and luckily no one ploughed into the back of me. I wish I’d yelled or something though.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8756 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:27:11 am »
Well that was fun.  I acquired what I think is the last Marathon Winter on this side of town yesterday, so I fitted it to the front.  Riding though snow this morning, the front was gripping but the back was fishtailing - I think I now know what it's like to be a speedway rider :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8757 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:38:15 am »
The Snow Studs were pure overkill for yesterday's commute.  I did try them on an off-road section of CS3 (covered in snow and slush, of course) and they were fine, but it was hard work.  On the way home I promised myself I'd inflate them to full pressure for the rest of this week's commuting.  (ICBA to swap tyres on a school night.)

Pumped them up this morning, went down to open the door, *BANG* - the rear went.  No problem, I have a second bike.  Just as I'm carrying the Hewitt out the door *BANG* goes the front of the commuter.  I'm guessing operator error in both cases. 

Took the short route as I was pressed for time and practically flew in.  Swapping to a lighter bike makes such a difference.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8758 on: 07 February, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
Yes, my snow studs were also a bit pointless for my commute yesterday.  I had a little slush on the way in, but by the time I cycled home last night, it wasn't all that cold, and virtually all the snow had gone.  There was a little snow on the grass around the commons, but nothing significant, and nowt on the cycle paths themselves.

I think I need to pump the tyres up as hard as possible, they were at about 60psi yesterday, and still noticeably hard work, although the weight of Vince also doesn't exactly help.

I tram/train/tube-d in today, because I needed to pick up a parcel from East Croydon, so it was easier and faster to just continue in on the train then.  Back onto Vince tomorrow.
Actually, it is rocket science.

plum

« Reply #8759 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »
To the red haired cyclist[?!] I often see along the Stratford Rd then navigating along the way to Golden Hillock, if you're reading this for god's sake give it up. Your lack of skills, control, road sense, insane risk taking are a danger to yourself and to any road user around you. Your idiot attitude to pavements means that even pedestrians aren't safe. Hopefully your off in this morning's rush hour, in the midst of all the buses, lorries, cars and cyclists, will have frightened some sense into you.

So long as no one else gets hurt frankly I couldn't care less. But to do it all with a child in that seat on the back sends a chill down my spine. This morning you were lucky to be on your own on that bike, but eventually Darwin will have his way, and do you really want your whole family to go down at the same time?

Again; give it up, get a bus pass before it's too late.

« Reply #8760 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
That was a cold commute home. My fingers were stinging inside my winter gloves. Brrrrrrr.

spindrift

« Reply #8761 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
My poxy Airzound exploded as i inflated it, I'm deaf in my left ear.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8762 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »
My poxy Airzound exploded as i inflated it, I'm deaf in my left ear.

While I do sympathise, this is my POTD.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8763 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:26:40 pm »
To the red haired cyclist[?!] I often see along the Stratford Rd then navigating along the way to Golden Hillock, if you're reading this for god's sake give it up. Your lack of skills, control, road sense, insane risk taking are a danger to yourself and to any road user around you. Your idiot attitude to pavements means that even pedestrians aren't safe. Hopefully your off in this morning's rush hour, in the midst of all the buses, lorries, cars and cyclists, will have frightened some sense into you.

So long as no one else gets hurt frankly I couldn't care less. But to do it all with a child in that seat on the back sends a chill down my spine. This morning you were lucky to be on your own on that bike, but eventually Darwin will have his way, and do you really want your whole family to go down at the same time?

Again; give it up, get a bus pass before it's too late.

Or better still, learn some vital skills?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8764 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:07:08 pm »
That was a cold commute home. My fingers were stinging inside my winter gloves. Brrrrrrr.

Same here.  Fancy Gore Bike wear gloves may be as waterproof as a duck's back, but a lacking insulation. Even with silk liners my fingers were aching and frozen after 12km. I broke the journey at a friend's house for a welcome cup of coffee and put my gloves on the radiator. The remainder of the journey passed in toasty goodness.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8765 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:17:23 am »
I had to break out the Spesh Sub Zeros for this very reason.  They do keep out the cold but feel very restrictive.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8766 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:38:02 am »
Those Sub Zeros look good. I need to get some. I have some cheapo "skiing gloves" for days like this, but they aren't great and failed to keep my hands warm yesterday evening. I couldn't feel my thumbs for about an hour after I got home. Also it felt like icicles were forming inside my nostrils.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8767 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:40:09 am »
A cold commute this morning, but I was well wrapped up, so it was no problem.  I set off earlier than usual, with Butterfly, so went via her work then the back way through to E&C.  A pleasant 25km :)
Getting there...

« Reply #8768 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:41:26 am »
Icy today. Forgot to mention, they've been using the salt spraying quad on the busway cyclepath.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8769 on: 08 February, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »
Had a lovely surprise when I got to work this morning....looked in my saddlebag (Rixen Kaul Contour Magnum) to retrieve my drawstring bag with my van keys, mobile, multtool, spare innertube etc    :o  empty as a pocket oh bugger.
Cycle home again, assuming I'd forgotten to put it in...nope.  :sick:

There is a happy ending though.  I had obviously forgotten to zip my saddlebag up and it had fallen out.  Polish builder chappie working up the road had found it and phoned the last number I had dialled, which luckily was the Mrs.

I'm going to drop by with some beer tokens in the morning.  Very relieved.

« Reply #8770 on: 08 February, 2012, 05:33:04 pm »
How nice is that! And of you to take him some beer. :D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8771 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:39:08 pm »

Even colder today I think.  I ended up wearing my skiing gloves.  Nice & toasty although probably not a good idea if I had to commute in London, as they'd be a bit hard to manage trying to brake quickly.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8772 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:42:10 pm »

Even colder today I think.  I ended up wearing my skiing gloves.  Nice & toasty although probably not a good idea if I had to commute in London, as they'd be a bit hard to manage trying to brake quickly.

I've been wearing ski-gloves for the last month or so, and the braking is fine.   It's the fiddly little inside lever of STI shifters that are a bit of a problem.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8773 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:44:07 pm »
I met a guy at the lights today on some sort of Mtb.  He was wearing no gloves at all!
I asked him if his hands weren't cold.  He said "Yes, freezing."  ::-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8774 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »
Sealskinz lobster claw gloves here - they are the warmest and best winter gloves I've yet used.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.