Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504282 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9000 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:01:47 pm »
Totally, it was just a gentle windup. I know you're an excellent rider.
hmpf, well alright then

« Reply #9001 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »
A motorcyclist rode into my back wheel and pringled it.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #9002 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:48:37 pm »

Ouch! you OK?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9003 on: 28 February, 2012, 11:39:08 pm »

Oh no! That's a bummer. How did it happen? Was it one of those "I wasn't expecting you to stop at that red light" situations?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #9004 on: 29 February, 2012, 07:23:19 am »
So much Cycling F***witry this morning I dispair, especally the **** who clipped my handbars as he went on to RLJ
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Si_Co

« Reply #9005 on: 29 February, 2012, 07:46:24 am »
A bit tough this morning, paying for last nights exuberance of 10 mile in 29 mins, not exactly TT speed but quick enough after a lay off.

Someone wanted a race this morning down Carrington Lane and I tried to resist, honestly I did, but once he'd caught my wheeel I just couldn't help it and pushed up to 22 ish to  drop him, not bad for a hippy with a dodgy left leg

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9006 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:03:35 am »
A bit tough this morning, paying for last nights exuberance of 10 mile in 29 mins, not exactly TT speed but quick enough after a lay off.
You did a sub 30 ten and you say it's not quick enough? Git. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Chris S

« Reply #9007 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Wow - it was slippy today.

The last time the lanes had any decent amount of water on them was when the snow melted nearly a month ago. Plenty of time since then for lots of red diesel, farm yard soil, actual soil and sundry other corruption to build up. This morning's drizzly dampness has made a fine slick out of that lot.

The front wheel twitched horribly as I turned a 90' right hander, and I clenched for impact, but somehow managed to keep upright.

Other than that - nice ride  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9008 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:07:33 am »
Cycling though an estate I passed some schoolkids wot were bigger than I am. One of them said ‘Yo bruv that bike ain’t even got any gears!’

I'm going to assume that he was indeed addressing one of his bruvs and not me; I may be looking a bit ropey with this horrible cold I've got but I don't think I've started looking like a bloke...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9009 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:17:14 am »

Someone wanted a race this morning down Carrington Lane and I tried to resist, honestly I did, but once he'd caught my wheeel I just couldn't help it and pushed up to 22 ish to  drop him, not bad for a hippy with a dodgy left leg

You are slipping there son.Twas only just a sub 30 ten.That lay off is dragging you you down to my level. :demon:
Last time I did a 10mile TT even I managed 32mins ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9010 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:21:05 am »
You did a sub 30 ten and you say it's not quick enough? Git. :)

that's not what I call him when I'm trying & failing miserably to keep with him for 30 miles on the A52 ::-)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9011 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
... and I clenched for impact ...

You will be pleased to know this is my Phrase of the Day!

;D

« Reply #9012 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:49:02 am »

Oh no! That's a bummer. How did it happen? Was it one of those "I wasn't expecting you to stop at that red light" situations?

d.
It was a "I thought you had gone" situation waiting to get onto the Elephant & Castle gyratory. The rider, a French woman on a French registered bike with a French insurance document was most apologetic and got £100 out of a cash point to cover the damage, which it should. A cyclist called Benji gave me a business card in case I needed a witness, which was good of him.
It was the work bit that was a pain. I was too late for an appointment so had to send someone else, and I had to leave early to take it to the shop. I also had to carry it into work. Still it can always be worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9013 on: 29 February, 2012, 10:15:09 am »
Adrian, very glad you're still with us!  I saw the photos of the wheel, and quickly realised it wasn't the optimal shape.

This morning I actually commuted!  I left the house shortly after Butterfly, and caught up with her at Mitcham Common, from where we had a lovely ride in.  After I left her, I rode through Brixton and Vauxhall, which I confess was a daft mistake.  I hate that junction.

Once over the bridge, I rode Embankment to Parliament Sq, up Whitehall, down The Mall, then back to Parliament Sq, where I picked up the Embankment again.  Roadworks at Blackfriars held up the motors, but it wasn't too problematic for bikes.  Then a spin through Southwark, zigzagging a bit, and in to work early, with 30km covered.

The usual motorised numpties, but hordes of bikes RLJing North of the river. :(
Getting there...

JJ

« Reply #9014 on: 29 February, 2012, 10:47:17 am »
Wow - it was slippy today.

The last time the lanes had any decent amount of water on them was when the snow melted nearly a month ago. Plenty of time since then for lots of red diesel, farm yard soil, actual soil and sundry other corruption to build up. This morning's drizzly dampness has made a fine slick out of that lot.

The front wheel twitched horribly as I turned a 90' right hander, and I clenched for impact, but somehow managed to keep upright.

Other than that - nice ride  :thumbsup:

After taking a fall on Friday (mending nicely thanks) I went back and had a look.  Where the car tyres run isn't too bad, but there's a line of slime in between that I'd have done much better to stay off.  I've heard of so many people who've had tumbles this last week, including a guy from the club-run who's now in hospital with broken femur and collarbone.  Running in to work this morning, I was even losing traction under my feet  :o.  It's worse than the snow!

citoyen

« Reply #9015 on: 29 February, 2012, 11:07:28 am »
It was a "I thought you had gone" situation waiting to get onto the Elephant & Castle gyratory.

:facepalm:

I've had exactly the same happen to me at exactly the same place - driver looking right to check nothing's coming from that direction, but not looking at what's in front of them. Fortunately, I escaped without damage.

Oh well, glad you were unharmed at least.

d.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #9016 on: 29 February, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »
With todays commute I have done every day in February so approx 710miles  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9017 on: 29 February, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »
After investing in a cheap rack and some even cheaper-looking panniers t'other day, my bike saw daylight for the first time in about six months for this morning's commute.

Despite three miles feeling more like thirty by the time I got to the office (dear $DEITY, I'm bloomin' unfit), now I've caught my breath I actually feel pretty good about getting back on two wheels again. Next target? Get back into the habit properly and have a full week of commuting. Thirty miles a week for a couple of months and a few less takeaways should help shift some of this beer belly...

citoyen

« Reply #9018 on: 29 February, 2012, 12:58:18 pm »
Excellent work, Dibdib. You'll be looking for the long way home before you know it!

d.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9019 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
Cheers D. To be honest, it sounds daft but it'd been so long that the thought of riding to work wasn't something I was looking forward to (and especially getting out of bed early for it). I was lurking around here yesterday evening trying to psyche myself up for it  ;D

As for the long way home, I suppose there are a few scenic diversions I could take once I get a bit of fitness back!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9020 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
Good work, Dibdib!
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #9021 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
On this mornings ride in I spied a cyclist ahead on the flat approach to Quarry Wood Road. I recognised the general appearance as being a rider I generally see ahead of me after I negotiate the hairpin on the climb so thought today was my chance to reel him in and take him on the climb- Commuter Race was on!

I gained about 20 yards on him before turning on to the climb then slowly reeled him in to about a 100 yard gap at the hairpin. I usually negotiate the bend on the centre line to avoid the bastard steep apex but today i was being tailed by a van so took the inside line. Big mistake. The bastard steep apex combined wit this morning being the first experiment in riding in and eating breakfast after arrival meant I died after the bend and had to let him go. He was about 250 yards ahead as he dissapeared behind the trees at the top of the climb.

Commuter Race Fail  :-[

« Reply #9022 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »
It was a "I thought you had gone" situation waiting to get onto the Elephant & Castle gyratory.

:facepalm:

I've had exactly the same happen to me at exactly the same place - driver looking right to check nothing's coming from that direction, but not looking at what's in front of them. Fortunately, I escaped without damage.

Oh well, glad you were unharmed at least.

d.
I actually let it influence me to change my route this morning, which is not really like me. I approached Southwark Bridge via The Cut and Union Street. It is a bit nicer that way, unlike the cycle superhighway E&C bypass which is just silly.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9023 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:51:18 pm »
I spotted what has to be the first harbinger of spring today.  The first sighting of one my commute's seasonal cyclists, this one was sedate stripey socks lady.

No sign yet of 'lesser spotted Castelli RLJ fixie chick' or my dreaded nemesis, 'quicker than me bloke with ludicrously short running shorts onna Trek'.

I'm actually looking forward to the last one, I'm three stone lighter and will be seeking satisfaction from the bounder!

« Reply #9024 on: 29 February, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »
I spotted what has to be the first harbinger of spring today.

The first harbinger of spring gave me rather a rude awakening yesterday. As I turned sharp left off the road onto the cycle path my back wheel broke away in a lovely slide. The council have only gone and cut the grass (in February!!!) leaving a spill of 2 stroke in the middle of the path when they've topped up the mower fuel tank... They always fill on the cycle path so that they don't "contaminate the grass".