Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503740 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9325 on: 13 March, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »
I needed to go home rather than go to see Steph :(

To get myself in the right mindset, I headed over Lambeth Bridge to put a couple of extra miles in.

Stopped at a red light on Embankment, I saw a chap zip across the other way onto Chelsea Bridge.  It looked like Wascally Weasel.  Well, he had the cap and the pirate jersey, but he was clean shaven.

I rode on, and over Albert Bridge, remembering to break step (it's very hard on fixed, I can tell you!), and I stopped at the lights.  There, emerging from Battersea Park, was that same chap, riding a blue Ribble.  It was Wascally!

But, by the time the lights had changed and I'd negotiated a right turn, he was almost out of sight.  I rode hard to catch him, but got caught myself by yet another red light.

He hadn't escaped, though, as there was a section of road closed by Police tape because of a collision.  He turned back just in time for me to hail him and ride in his direction.  We took the Thames Path for a little while, then we went through Wandsworth, where the motor traffic was having a very hard time.  Wascally showed me some good roads cutting through to Putney Hill, and then he turned off for home.

I rode on up to the top, scalping a guy on a Cannondale, which surprised me.  Then down through Wimbledon and towards Rose Hill.  Rather than go straight up, which is tedious and can be a bit yuk with cars, I went round the side, and took Green Wrythe Lane to get me towards home.

A good ride with good company. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #9326 on: 13 March, 2012, 07:44:45 pm »
Massive traffic jams!!!!

Was totally totally knackered and went home instead of to my circuits class. That will teach me to be lazy, punishment was to try and weave thru traffic.

« Reply #9327 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »
Roadrat was in the LBS getting some TLC (and a new chainring) so I rode the 29er to work. I dropped off the commuter bike, walked home, mounted the 29er and realised quite quickly that SPD pedals and flat shoes is an interesting foot / pedal interface combination. No proper comedy moments apart from trying to unclip at the lights and thinking it didn't feel right.

Really enjoyed the super low bottom gear up Park St though :-)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9328 on: 14 March, 2012, 12:52:54 am »
The train back took well over an hour (!!!!!!!) after a few pints with Butterfly and Captbob. What struck me, walking back from the airport sans hat and any CTC-approved facial hair, was that it was COLD. I have been in shorts the last few days, even after the warmth of Gib, but tonight is bitter. Perhaps it's the damp.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #9329 on: 14 March, 2012, 07:20:08 am »
I've ditched the longs so far this week - shorts plus knee warmers have been fine.

I have the same problem with the top half, GruB - I really could do with a new gilet. A thermal jersey would be too warm now.

d.
A move oop north would solve this problem---still in bib tights & thermal jacket.  :-[
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #9330 on: 14 March, 2012, 08:20:58 am »
Great commuting yesterday.  Legs felt really strong.  Enjoyed the smoothness of the Etape - again.  Probably the fastest commute of the year for me so far at 16.7 mph for the 43 miles.

fuzzy

« Reply #9331 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:20:46 am »
First commute in for a while. Still doing the no breakfast until at work thing but this time there wasn't another cyclist in sight, so I didn't get the commuter racing urge. Therfore I didn't bonk.

« Reply #9332 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:23:57 am »
Mrs G has been making me oat based flapjacky type things to take in - sometimes cookies too.  Well great and keeps me going until I have to eat at lunch time.  My Carradice is now mainly food for the day  ;D  This no breakfast lark is the hardest part of day shift.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9333 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:27:28 am »
Lovely ride in this morning.  Usual number of morons.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #9334 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:14:54 am »
Unleashed dogs: 3.
Unleashed toddlers: 1.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9335 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:26:54 am »
I've ditched the longs so far this week - shorts plus knee warmers have been fine.

I have the same problem with the top half, GruB - I really could do with a new gilet. A thermal jersey would be too warm now.

d.
A move oop north would solve this problem---still in bib tights & thermal jacket.  :-[

It felt colder again this morning though that's probably because I was riding about an hour and a half earlier (my morning commute is normally train-then-ride, today I did ride-then-train). Being lightly clad wasn't a problem while I was moving, though I could have done with full gloves instead of mitts. The real problem was that I missed my train* and the next train was delayed, so I was standing on a cold platform for 25 minutes in just bibshorts, vest, regular cycling jersey and ultralightweight Montane windproof. Not warm!

Just before I got to the office, I passed a convoy of about 20 French students/tourists on their way to Tate Modern on matching green londonbicycle.com hire bikes.  :thumbsup:

d.

*Not due to being too slow, I must add, but because I misremembered the timetable.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #9336 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:34:39 am »
It's definitely colder today, here anyway. I was in knee warmers, though.

Chris S

« Reply #9337 on: 14 March, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »
Unleashed dogs: 3.
Unleashed toddlers: 1.

;D

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #9338 on: 14 March, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
Knee & arm warmers with short sleeve jersey again this morning, was a bit chilly on the arms to begin with though as it was only 5°C.  Ditched the overshoes ages ago & have been ok with woolie boolies  :thumbsup:

I have an old Assos gilet which is brilliant, the new ones are seriously pricey though.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #9339 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »
My gillet is a Gore one.  Well good for keeping the upper body warm.  It has a high neck too so that is great for keeping warm.

« Reply #9340 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:17:27 pm »
Forget dogs and toddlers, how about horses !!

I was riding along, just having left Ogbourne St. George on the backroad, coming up the steep little hill towards a sharp right, with The Ridgeway byeway coming to the road on my left.  A HORSE THEN TROTS OUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.  Luckily I was not a few seconds further on or it would have T boned me.

I quickly turned around and went back down the road behind the horse trying to talk to it.  It was all lathered but luckily had a halter and lead rope on and NO saddle - so I knew I wasn't looking for a rider.  The horse got a bit skittish with me in all my lycra coming alongside but as I talked to it, it started to slow down a bit to a fast then slow walk.  It kept stepping on the lead rope that was trailing between it's legs.  It kept going down and into the village with me along side.  500 metres or so ahead was a field to my right with horses within it so I hoped it would head for it's bretheren.  As we reached this location I went ahead, jumped off and stood in the road and did my best WHOAH WHOAH impersonation and it went into the field gate entrance and enabled me to grab the lead rope.  I gave it a friendly pat on the neck and did my best soothing Aussie chat. 

Then a bloke pulls up behind the horse in his Range Rover and jumps out and says he knows whom the owner is and that this is one of her polo ponies.  He then rings her and takes the piss by saying "I've caught one of your horses, I've tied it up at ...... location". 

What an arse.

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #9341 on: 14 March, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »
One of my scariest ever moments on a bike was when riding down a narrow lane with high hedges each side.

Just as I was passing alongside a horse and rider, someone fired a shotgun in the adjacent field.  The horse reared up and almost came down on me.  They are big beasts and I felt very small and vulnerable.  :-[
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Chris S

« Reply #9342 on: 14 March, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »
One of my scariest ever moments on a bike was when riding down a narrow lane with high hedges each side.

Just as I was passing alongside a horse and rider, someone fired a shotgun in the adjacent field.  The horse reared up and almost came down on me.  They are big beasts and I felt very small and vulnerable.  :-[

Lordy!

Just goes to show - Horses should be on a lead at all times.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9343 on: 14 March, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »
Finished work on time for once today, just had a nice extended ride home via Epsom Downs & Langley vale.  Bit knackered but happy.

plum

« Reply #9344 on: 14 March, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »
Woohoo! In my ignorance I didn't realise that mech hangers are supposed to break, so apart from the dent in the seat stay [which I'm going to ignore and hope for the best] the frame will be ok. LBS [Red Kite, awesome guys in the workshop] has quoted me @ £140 to fix it all up which is frankly a relief. Was expecting worse and I'll be mobile again middle of next week. Hurrah!

simonp

« Reply #9345 on: 14 March, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »
Woohoo! In my ignorance I didn't realise that mech hangers are supposed to break, so apart from the dent in the seat stay [which I'm going to ignore and hope for the best] the frame will be ok. LBS [Red Kite, awesome guys in the workshop] has quoted me @ £140 to fix it all up which is frankly a relief. Was expecting worse and I'll be mobile again middle of next week. Hurrah!

\o/

seraphina

« Reply #9346 on: 14 March, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »
First hare of the year spotted in a field on the way home.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9347 on: 14 March, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »

Lordy!

Just goes to show - Horses should be on a lead at all times.
Nah, it's the shotgun shooters that should be muzzled!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9348 on: 14 March, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »
First hare of the year spotted in a field on the way home.

Not this field by any chance? http://g.co/maps/fpc24

(hint, look behind  ;D )

JJ

« Reply #9349 on: 14 March, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »
Made it out in semi-daylight, and home in time to put the kids to bed for the first time in ages.  Only two numpties today.  One was so desperate to overtake, he dropped two gears and floored it to try and make it into the closing 20 ft gap between me and the stationary bus.  The other took exception to my going around him on the barely moving roundabout and took great pains to block me.  I wasn't held up long and left him to his business in the traffic.  My zen remained intact - for once.  I even had enough left over to use for deflecting offspring #2's nascent tantrum.  :thumbsup: