Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504142 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9925 on: 12 May, 2012, 09:27:09 am »
Yesterday - tailwind both ways  ;D ;D  Lots of sunshine.  Late home from work so balanced Dominos Pizza on the handlebars for the last descent home.  Yum!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
On the commute today
« Reply #9926 on: 12 May, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
Took advantage of the sun and tailwind to go the long way home yesterday. Glorious ride. Averaged 29km/h while feeling I was putting in half that level of effort. Top 10 for Shooters Hill on Strava without even really trying - wish I'd pushed a bit harder now!

Only went as far as Gravesend (38km) before hopping on the train. Wish I could have carried on at least as far as Rochester but I'd got out of work later than expected and needed to get home. Darn it.

Undid all that good work by scarfing down a whole family-size pepperoni pizza when I got home. ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9927 on: 12 May, 2012, 06:21:43 pm »
Went out with the trailer to do the big shop at Tescos. It feels strange walking round the supermarket with a cold box in the trolley. On my way back saw many of Tayside's finest outside my local chippy. It wasn't the chips they were interested in..

The van had come out of the junction on the right. It is one way and light controlled. The sightlines down the road are very poor. It has been spun nearly 180 degrees with sufficient force to seriously damage the railings. The police car was proceeding past the chippy (red/white signed shop at the top) and bounced off the van with sufficient energy to seriously damage the railings the other side. The gentleman from the van was described by a witness as being 'in a very bad way' - being taken still and fully covered into the ambulance as I arrived.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #9928 on: 13 May, 2012, 12:40:01 am »
Just heard the van driver was fine and is enjoying his new found notoriety at home after a brief checkup at the hospital..

« Reply #9929 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:06:10 am »
Just heard the van driver was fine and is enjoying his new found notoriety at home after a brief checkup at the hospital..
Phew! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9930 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
Dear Sirs,

COMPLAINT ABOUT MEGABUS DRIVER

This morning (15th May 12) I was nearly deliberately killed or seriously maimed by one of your drivers, and while I was too shocked to take note of the bus details, I hope that the details I can give will give you enough information to identify him and, if not, the type of event may emphasise the need to provide additional training for your drivers.

I am a cyclist, covering around 10,000 miles a year in London and this event was one of the very worst I have encountered. It happened at 07:20 this morning in Oxford Street between Portman Street and Marble Arch. Your bus had turned west into Oxford Street from Orchard Street when I was stationary waiting at the lights at Orchard/Oxford Street junction. I rode up along the traffic which was stopped at the Portman/Oxford Street junction. I needed to be in the right hand lane at Marble Arch, so chose to ride up the right of the lane. The first vehicle was an articulated lorry, the second was your bus. Seeing a sizeable gap between the two, and thinking that your driver’s position is low down, I rode into the gap and took my place in the middle of the lane. I turned to make certain that your driver was positioned so he could see me. The lights changed and I moved off behind the lorry, and moved to the right. The lights at Marble Arch, 100m ahead were red.  I am now riding on the right hand of the lane (this Google map view places the location http://g.co/maps/vjjyd)

Your driver then chose to overtake. To do this he accelerated hard past me, angled right and crossing for some distance onto the opposite carriageway before returning to the correct carriageway. He was that close the bus brushed my shoulder and, had I not taken evasive action I would have been knocked down and potentially dragged under the rear wheels of the bus.

I caught up with the bus at the lights at Marble Arch as they were still red (no surprise there), the driver wound his window down, he was clearly expecting me. The conversation (without raised voices on either side) ran much like this:
Me: That was a bit close to get you to the red light quicker
He: You pushed in front of me. There was a truck in front, you didn’t push in front of him did you? I wonder why? You’re always going to be slower than me
Me: But the lights here were red – what was the rush ?
He: You’re always going to be slower than me, you shouldn’t have pushed in front
After a couple more repetitions of the same the lights changed and we rode off.

This incident was so wrong, on so many levels. Even if I had been holding him up – which I demonstrably wasn’t as the lights in less than 100m were red –  what right does that give him to use the bus as a weapon against me? From the manoeuvre itself and from what he said, he clearly knew what he was doing and drove that way deliberately.

I would describe the driver as male, around forty with short cropped hair, fairly sharp features, normal build and a Birmingham/mid country accent. I hope the location and the detail give you sufficient information to identify him. I do not want him disciplined, there was nobody hurt and there would be nothing gained by that, but I do want him educated. If he is driving a vehicle on the streets with that attitude it is only a matter of time before he seriously hurts or kills someone, and it will likely be one of your buses he is driving.

Yours faithfully

Ham

fuzzy

« Reply #9931 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:36:21 am »
Nice letter/ e mail Ham. Hoepfuly it will hit the spot.

Yesterday arfternoons ride home was spot on again. Consideration shown my way at junctions and with overtakes.

This morning was wet- very. I gett he impression that some drivers forget they are enclosed and don't get wet in their cars/ vans. In the rain, they seem to drive in a rush as if to get out of the rain. WTF is that all about?

« Reply #9932 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:36:38 am »
So basically he was ‘punishing’ you.

I have all but stopped using Vauxhall bridge southbound after a Megabus almost brushed my arm at speed (it’s got more than one lane so drivers treat it like a motorway). I should have complained but I didn’t as I was too shaken to get any details at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9933 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:55:12 am »
What a complete wazzock.  There's been loads of them this morning.  I don't know why a bit of rain means you can't cross a white line but still have to pass cyclists, especially when there's nowhere to go.  Gits.

But I'm pleased to report that, despite the wind and rain and colder than I might have hoped for weather this morning, I did enjoy my ride.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9934 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:08:42 am »
Cold and damp roads in Devon with a headwind.  But sunny so it was a nice ride to the station this morning

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9935 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:21:07 am »
My commute nowadays, is usually quiet and uneventful, being so early.  Today seemed like it would be no exception, until I turned into a quiet Peckham backstreet to wend my way towards the junction where I join the Old Kent Rd.  A Landrover came out of a side street, straight across my right of way. I swerved to the left, and narrowly missed hurtling headlong into the parked cars along the side of the road.  I did scrape my legs and batter my knees somewhat.  I did a quick bike check and caught up with the vehicle at the Lights at the OKR junction.  The driver appeared to be eating breakfast and when she wound down the window, smiling, in response to my gentle tap, I could see a plate of food balanced on her lap.  She was smiling and munching away happily,  obviously completely unaware of our previous interaction. I had  calmed down a bit up to this point and had originally intended merely to politely point out the possibility that checking for all kinds of traffic at junctions might reduce the likelihood of her killing or maiming someone in the future , not to mention reducing possible damage to her shiny new 4WD. However, the sight of her munching face grinning at me, like some huge, clothed hamster plus the plate of food on her lap, tipped me over the edge. ( It was a slightly bizarre scene, reminiscent of a weird nightmare).  Luckily, she had no cutlery, as I would probably have taken the opportunity to stab her with it.  I did get a bit shouty, I forget exactly what I said now.  However, not the witty intelligent and precise comments I had in my head before the greedy, plate balancing giant hamster driving a car appeared before me. 
    I am still not completely sure that I didn't dream it, it was that surreal.

citoyen

« Reply #9936 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:23:53 am »
I have all but stopped using Vauxhall bridge southbound after a Megabus almost brushed my arm at speed (it’s got more than one lane so drivers treat it like a motorway). I should have complained but I didn’t as I was too shaken to get any details at all.

Nasty.  :(

I've actually started using Vauxhall Bridge southbound on the days when I get the train into Victoria. The back route I was using before is a bit twisty-turny (and is favoured by black cabs) and involves going all the way round Parliament Square - bit of a no-win situation either way. At least with Vauxhall Bridge I turn left at the end, so don't have to mix it up with the motons too much.

Plus I treat it like a race, so I can usually stay ahead of the traffic (PB is 40.7km/h average, according to Strava). I quite enjoy it but it is a shame that you have to ride like that to feel safe on London's streets.

And instead of choosing between Route A with Deathtrap Junction X and Route B with Deathtrap Junction Y, I would far rather take Route C with no Deathtrap Junctions. Unfortunately, I have yet to find Route C.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9937 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:24:50 am »
Glad you're still with us, Jane.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #9938 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:25:43 am »

Sounds to me like it wasn't you that was asleep...

Glad to hear you're OK.

d.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9939 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:29:25 am »

Sounds to me like it wasn't you that was asleep...

Glad to hear you're OK.

d.

Glad you're still with us, Jane.
Thanks.   Not many  meet the giant, bacon munching hamster of Peckham and live to tell the tale.

« Reply #9940 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:38:43 am »
Here's a playlist of bad lane discipline, most incidents (7 out of 9) occurred at Vauxhall:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56E90E007EC9975D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

David Martin

« Reply #9941 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:58:32 am »
I may well have been tempted to tip her plate of breakfast all over her. Then call the police.. :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9942 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:59:47 am »
Yes.  I have also considered immobilising vehicles being driven in such dangerous manners.  It's horrifying.
Getting there...

« Reply #9943 on: 15 May, 2012, 12:20:30 pm »
Jane, that is...astonishing. I suppose we should be grateful she wasn't reading the morning papers too...glad you weren't hurt more.

Yes, that is the only way to tackle Vauxhall bridge southbound, Citoyen; I've read before that Wendy takes the lane but he is also pretty quick. And, as you say, it shouldn't have to be that way. I'm just not fast enough to do Vauxhall bridge southbound, especially considering that some drivers really floor it and get aggressive if you move out of the cycle lane. I'd rather avoid the hassle at the end of the working day. Northbound has a bus lane and is fine.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9944 on: 15 May, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »
Vauxhall is the junction I avoid most.  And Elephant & Castle, Oval & Stockwell are all on my commute, so it's not that I'm a wuss (much).  It's just an astonishingly badly designed and marked system, and I am completely amazed that there aren't more collisions than there actually are.
Getting there...

« Reply #9945 on: 15 May, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
So basically he was ‘punishing’ you.

Yes it is shaking, isn't it?  Shocking standard of driving, I wonder if it related to Megabus fares => pay for drivers=> demands to drive faster ....?

citoyen

« Reply #9946 on: 15 May, 2012, 01:11:10 pm »
especially considering that some drivers really floor it and get aggressive if you move out of the cycle lane badly painted gutter.

ftfy ;)

I never use that "cycle lane".

d.

« Reply #9947 on: 15 May, 2012, 01:53:41 pm »
especially considering that some drivers really floor it and get aggressive if you move out of the cycle lane badly painted gutter.

ftfy ;)

I never use that "cycle lane".

d.

Indeed, I fervently wish it wasn't there.

« Reply #9948 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »
I wouldn't say I never use it, but not very often. The last time I used it, I crashed. It was wet, and the red route lines are so thickly painted, they tramlined my bike.

I also wish it didn't exist.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #9949 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »
Yep, three thickly painted lines with about 10cm between them. What genius decided that was OK? Oh, the same ones that assure us that the blue paint on the cycle superhighways meets all the friction standards applicable for modern road designs. Yet in some situations it still feels like riding on wet glass...