Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503409 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12025 on: 21 December, 2012, 12:11:36 pm »
Also unusual to see good behaviour from a skip lorry so that's good...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12026 on: 21 December, 2012, 12:16:33 pm »
Yes, very unusual.  Sadly, I couldn't see company info, so I couldn't do what you have, which is a very good idea.
Getting there...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #12027 on: 21 December, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »
Passed the 10,000 mile mark on this mornings commute  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12028 on: 21 December, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »

Congrats Fungus.  Will be just shy of 8000 this year.  However, after today need just 45 miles to complete 500 in December which would be at least 500 miles each month of the year.  Plan is to do that on an Eddington boosting ride between Christmas and New Year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12029 on: 21 December, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »
Well done.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get to 10,000 miles in a year.  That's over 16000km! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #12030 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

:) indeed!

LindaG

« Reply #12031 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:45:33 pm »
Congratulations indeed.  An impressive tally.   :thumbsup:

On the way to work last night I wore my new Airhole neck gaiter.  A present from a Very Naughty Boy OTP.  The one that makes me look like I have a monkey's head.

It scared the shit out of a small boy.

I enjoyed this.

Ho, ho, ho.

« Reply #12032 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »
*googles*

Bwahaha!

Mind you, I already do my fair share of scaring small kids. The amount who cry 'Look mummy, a wolf!' when they see me out walking the dog is quite something. I can only conclude she looks more wolf-like when you're only small.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12033 on: 21 December, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »
the good news - today was my last commute this year! the bad news: king william street was cordoned off on my way home - incident involving a vehicle and a pedestrian, who, sadly did not survive... RIP :'(

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #12034 on: 21 December, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »
Despite my general avoidance of snail mail I’ve now sent them a Christmas card complimenting the driver’s behaviour and mentioning the place and date so maybe they can pass it on to him. It's important to encourage good driving.
You're a hero - and an example to us all.  I occasionally set out on a ride intending to be nice to motorists (friendly waves, thumbs up, indicating I'm ready to be passed, etc); it often wears off after the first cutting up incident but sometimes it pays off and niceness is reciprocated and I remember that many motorists also ride a bike.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12035 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »
This evening's commute was over Westminster Bridge, along Embankment to Putney, blow a kiss to Marc, into a dark and quiet Richmond Park for a lap and a ride across the middle, then home through the back streets along the cycle route.

As I went through the gate into RP, I calculated that I might total 50km for the ride.  With no extra noodling, it came to 51.07  A good ride, and a fun one (especially on the sections where I switched off my front light in the park).

Total commute today = 76.52km.  Just shy of one mile for each year of my age.  If I'd done that sum, I'd have ridden round the block. ;D

I've ridden 286km this week on a commute of 190.  That'll do. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #12036 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
I've ridden 286km this week on a commute of 190.  That'll do. :thumbsup:

Perhaps Father Christmas will bring you a GPS so you don't get lost going home anymore. :P ;)

Your commute today was more than I've done commuting and shopping all week. ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12037 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:41:51 pm »
I don't mind getting lost if it means riding round RP with no traffic :)
Getting there...

« Reply #12038 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »
Oh goody, loads of people seemed to have disappeared already. Lambeth bridge almost empty. Very nice!

(Jurek, it has not yet been cold enough again to properly test out your lobsters - it's at temps close to freezing that I start to suffer)

These's absolutely no rush - in your own (the weather's) time.

JB

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12039 on: 24 December, 2012, 09:50:00 am »
Last commute of the year.  And I got a p*nct*re! :o

Fortunately, I noticed it in my kitchen, so sat and swapped the tube (and dug out several flints & shards of glass) before setting out into the (relatively) cold.

Nice fast ride this morning with light motor traffic, but I only saw about a dozen cyclists in all :(

And my front brake finally objected to the abuse it's been getting without being cleaned.  One side started dragging.  I think there's some gunk in the spring.  Bit scary over the big junctions (of which, of course, I added Waterloo, Westminster & Lambeth Bridge roundabouts, as well as St George's Circus, just for the hell of it), but manageable.

25km again.  I'm hoping to get the same on the way home. :)
Getting there...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #12040 on: 24 December, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »
Miserably wet ride home last night, enlivened by the very fast'n'close WVM pass.

He was followed by a BMW X5, in a particularly bright paint scheme. He had Christmas lights on his roof, which I saw light up the street a few hundred yards ahead of me as I turned off, in a pretty shade of blue.

Tee hee.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12041 on: 24 December, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »
Trundling through Richmond Park on the Brommie, I passed a lycra lad with a cheery 'Better weather than earlier today.' He felt the need to sprint past me on the hill without another word. Being in civvies and in plenty of time for the train, I left him to doing fast laps. ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LindaG

« Reply #12042 on: 26 December, 2012, 08:26:55 am »
Walking past the path. labs to my bike locker there was a stripe of light greenish sky behind the dark clouds.  By the time I hit my Nemesis roundabout, the sky was a gorgeous French navy.  And when I got home, it was light.  No cars, except for taxis, and one cyclist.  We bid each other "Mornin'".  The smell of baking as I rode past Asda - it smelled like hot cross buns.  Surely not?

Riding on a bank holiday morning is far preferable to school days, that's for sure.  And by 'eck it takes a while on them studded tyres.

« Reply #12043 on: 26 December, 2012, 05:11:58 pm »
Cycling home from work this afternoon it wet and horrible, but the traffic was far less than any day involving an open school  :-\

« Reply #12044 on: 27 December, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »
Busier again this morning/afternoon, but again far less traffic on the road than I expected.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #12045 on: 27 December, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
To the shops. A grand total of 2 miles. The hill on the way home re-ignited my cough.  :(
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

LindaG

« Reply #12046 on: 27 December, 2012, 04:37:24 pm »
Cycling home from work this afternoon it wet and horrible, but the traffic was far less than any day involving an open school  :-\

Are you noticing any change with sunrise/sunset times yet Domestique?

« Reply #12047 on: 27 December, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »

Are you noticing any change with sunrise/sunset times yet Domestique?

Not yet, still dark in the morning, but light in the afternoon. Tbh I prefer the dark mornings, with a nice bright B&M headlamp, seems to stop most twattish motorists. Once it lightens up  :-\

LindaG

« Reply #12048 on: 27 December, 2012, 07:02:36 pm »
Soon be spring though, and that's a good thing  :)

« Reply #12049 on: 28 December, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »
Loads of twats about this afternoon, it is so testing just riding a bike here nearly all the time.