Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503097 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #13450 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:24:56 pm »
Double-articulated lorry (Polish plates) decided to overtake me at a pinch point in Parson's Green on the way home (5.45pm-ish). I saw it coming behind me (having overtaken it somewhere up near Cheyne Walk) and thought "he won't try that here" and, when realising he wasn't going to slow down at all whilst he swerved in, I opted for an emergency stop and hugging the kerb. If I hadn't then there might not have been much of me left this evening.

I could have got the details or remonstrated with the driver as I eventually caught up with it on the far side of Putney Bridge but thought there's little point.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13451 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »
Headwind, headwind and a little more headwind on the way home.  Still the bluebells remain pretty :smug:

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13452 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:05:33 am »
If anyone is interested, a couple of piccies of my knee and face.  They're mildly gory, so if you're averse to blood or injuries, then you probably don't want to click, but it was nothing too disastrous, so there's not a lot to see.

(click to show/hide)

I can't work out how I managed to hit so many sides of my knee in one go!
Ooooh, "SCAB POSSIE, Front & Centre!" ;D

GWS
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13453 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:13:53 am »
Ahh, that caused the ol'HR to spike...

FFS CAT! Don't decide to dash across 1 metre in front while I'm hooning d/h at R17; consider yourself lucky you've got 8.5 lives left - you almost got made into a Damien Hirst art display.

fuzzy

« Reply #13454 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:18:40 am »
I have copied this from another thread but it is relevant-

Well, that was an experience!

My route to work takes in Quarry Wood Road Marlow. Ascending this hill on a 'bent is very different to an upright. It is all leg power as opposed to making use of body weight. Progress was slow but consistant.

Once the hill was defeated, the progress was much swifter.

Overtakes by vehicles were a revelation. Every single one was done with the passing vehicle in the opposite lane. Loads of room  :thumbsup:

Steering is a bit twitchy and will take a bit of getting used to.

The legs are complaining slightly but, 8.5 miles as a first proper outing was thoroughly enjoyed   :D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13455 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:23:14 am »
I have copied this from another thread but it is relevant-

Well, that was an experience!

My route to work takes in Quarry Wood Road Marlow. Ascending this hill on a 'bent is very different to an upright. It is all leg power as opposed to making use of body weight. Progress was slow but consistant.

Once the hill was defeated, the progress was much swifter.

Overtakes by vehicles were a revelation. Every single one was done with the passing vehicle in the opposite lane. Loads of room  :thumbsup:

Steering is a bit twitchy and will take a bit of getting used to.

The legs are complaining slightly but, 8.5 miles as a first proper outing was thoroughly enjoyed   :D
Have a cookie ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13456 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
My first CBB in a long long while, far too long in fact.

10.5 miles.
1.5 hours
A small amount of bad navigation and Fen's Hills are responsible for the time.
Only one idiot, in a Fiat 500, who thought it was his sole duty to point out the error of my ways by not giving me any space whilst overtaking, beeping his horn and then pointing to the non-compulsory bike path on the other side of the road.
Everyone else gave me plenty of room.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #13457 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:38:05 am »
Uxbridge Commute today.  Traffic, traffic, traffic.  Roads between Ascot, Windsor, Datchet and Langley were chokka today.  Spent most of my time motorbike style riding down the middle, keeping it careful.  Got a nice surprise in Datchet when a Merc drive stopped to let me round an oversize van.  Various other drivers saw me coming and move inwards slightly to give me more room.  Perhaps they've all been on the road so long they've given up hope of getting to their destination.

Longsleeve top and rain jacket this morning in preparation for forecast winter weather later on.  Cooked.  If it doesn't rain in the SE tonight it is all down to this sacrifice.  But I'm not that hopeful.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #13458 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:49:59 am »
Windsor Show all week which is increasing local traffic significantly.

Me, well I got a compulsary ride home yesterday, as I got to the station to find that the line was closed due to a train striking a person at Longcross. At least I had the bike with me unlike last week when a fallen tree closed the line.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13459 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:04:39 am »
Front tyre blowout on a steep descent at 35mph this morning. That was fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13460 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:06:44 am »

:o well done staying upright.

« Reply #13461 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:12:52 am »
A courier bag full of overshoes, rainlegs and goretex top, in prep for this afterlunch.

:o :o

« Reply #13462 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
You today and me yesterday.

Is there something in the air?

I hit some debris. Do you know what caused yours?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #13463 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
Don't know. There's a cut in the inner tube but I'm not sure if that was caused by whatever punctured the tyre or a pinch caused as I was gradually rolling to a stop. Didn't find any likely culprits embedded in the tyre. I assume there's just lots of nasty stuff washed into the road at the moment after the heavy rain showers we've had in the last couple of days.

Btw, I say "blowout" but that probably makes it sound more dramatic than it was. Let's just say the tyre went very soft very quickly. And it's not fun at that speed!

My current front tyre is a cheapo Vittoria thing I had lying about, which I've only fitted because I had to replace the Durano Plus that was beyond worn out. This incident makes me realise I really ought to get hold of another DP.

« Reply #13464 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:05:33 am »
Mine was a rubino pro.  Tyre had gone a bit soft, hit a 2" chunk of stone. There is a *lot* of it on the A64 now, since they switched to using crushed building rubble to fill the ditch beside the road. You can see the tyremarks in the rubble, bloody amazing how often vehicles go off into it, must be a daily occurrence.

But one of my only two punctures on my D+ (rear tyre) was a snakebite so don't think they are immune. The other was wire from truck tyre casing on the road.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13465 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:08:12 am »
A courier bag full of overshoes, rainlegs and goretex top, in prep for this afterlunch.

I've figured it will hit on the way home. A maximum of 40 minutes getting wet, so I've just packed a rain cape and that's all. Cold hands this morning, so I might regret the choice of gloves though!

« Reply #13466 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:31:11 am »

Me, well I got a compulsary ride home yesterday, as I got to the station to find that the line was closed due to a train striking a person at Longcross. At least I had the bike with me unlike last week when a fallen tree closed the line.

Isn't that the second week in a row there has been a fatality at Longcross?

I got home via the slow train to Weybridge via Hounslow as it was there and not too full when I got to Waterloo.  Platforms 18 and 19 (generally where the Reading and Windsor trains go from) looked like carnage.  I was surprised our train wasn't more crowded so I guess that must be all the people after Virginia Water.

citoyen

« Reply #13467 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:32:54 am »
Tyre had gone a bit soft, hit a 2" chunk of stone.

Yikes!  :o

But one of my only two punctures on my D+ (rear tyre) was a snakebite so don't think they are immune. The other was wire from truck tyre casing on the road.

Indeed. I really had to replace my rear D+ in the end because it was so worn, I was starting to get quite a few punctures (the current rear D+ is what used to be on the front). Unfortunately, D+ aren't cheap, so I haven't saved up enough pocket money for a replacement yet.

« Reply #13468 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:55:39 am »
Tyre had gone a bit soft, hit a 2" chunk of stone.

Yikes!  :o

I really must take a photo. The stones vary from scattered individuals (I'm getting good at slalom) to small piles (I'm getting good at bunny hopping although it's hard when on the tribars).

There is a reason why I'm contemplating a cyclocross bike  :-\
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #13469 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:47:22 pm »

I got home via the slow train to Weybridge via Hounslow as it was there and not too full when I got to Waterloo.  Platforms 18 and 19 (generally where the Reading and Windsor trains go from) looked like carnage.  I was surprised our train wasn't more crowded so I guess that must be all the people after Virginia Water.

Not a lot of people get off at Longcross - its mostly for the Qinetiq site.  If this was the US there would now be a dozen conspiracy theories.  Slow day at work so can see mesmerising advance of the wet stuff across Dorset and into Hampshire.  Glad have packed winter gear for the return tonight  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #13470 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »

No last week a train struck a fallen tree and got stuck for ~ 3hours until they decided that it couldn't be repaired and driven out and another train was brought in to offload the passengers!

local potentially bad taste joke below.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #13471 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:15:15 pm »
I had no jacket, so it rained.
I had to dredge up my good citizen parts. They're buried pretty deeply.
Suffice it to say, those may be my hands and feet, but that's not my dog:

Better being muttered at swearily by me than under a truck, I reckoned. She followed me over the roundabout and was quite obedient when I told her to come over here and sit down. Owner arrived 10 minutes later, following a phone call. During which time it kicked it down, and that charming aroma of wet dog drifted all over me.

Still, the brewery's stinking tonight too, so I can't smell it any more.

« Reply #13472 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:11:00 pm »
Well, that was a rather damp ride home, although if truth be known I was expecting it to be significantly wetter.
Always a bonus.
Tonight's added interest was the front brake cable's decision that Homerton is the place to be cleft in twain.
It's quite surprising how a ~50% reduction in one's capacity to stop sharpens up one's concentration.
Perhaps by as much as ohhh...... 50%.
Luckily I passed the doors of Cycles UK in Creek Road moments before they were due to be closed and availed myself of a brace of cables and some bar tape which I shall fettle forthwith.
Following which I shall fettle some kedgeree. Nom.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13473 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
Ooh,  only half the brakes in the rain.  Not nice.
I have to say that if my front cable broke, I'll loose 70% braking ability.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13474 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »
Your %age is probably closer to the truth.
I was just typing in a hurry (to get on with the fettle) hence the '~' symbol of absolution.
Job's done, all bar fitting the crimp to the cable end - remind me, someone, which way round do they go on?
Oh, and I may as well adjust  the rear. Given that it worked quite hard this evening.
Dammit! Oily keyboard.