Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504271 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #13950 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »
There is a guy at work who rides a 32/16 single speed.

I wonder how his tyres look.

I ride 34:18 (I think! it may be 32:18  ::-)  ) and my tyres are fine ???

simonp

« Reply #13951 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
34:18 isn’t a 2:1 ratio between chainring and sprocket.

Basically it means that the power stroke of each leg is always at the same point on the tyre, two revolutions later.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13952 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:22:36 pm »
Last Sunday I went on a ride with a contingent from LFGSS, amongst whom there were a couple of brakeless riders (one of whom's frame didn't even have the appropriate hole(s) - should one wish to fit a brake(s))
It transpires he changes his rear tyre every 7 to 10 days (he works in a bike shop, so tyres to him are 'at cost').
If his riding is solely around town, he reckons on changing his rear tyre every 24 hrs.

He should see if he can get a staff discount on a proper frame...   ::-)

simonp

« Reply #13953 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:29:28 pm »
Shitty aggressive behaviour from a London driver on Euston Rd this evening. Basically wasn’t happy that I wasn’t riding in the gutter, so that he could squeeze past, and then left hook me.  :facepalm: Sitting on my wheel aggressively sounding the horn didn’t work, did it, prat?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13954 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »
34:18 isn’t a 2:1 ratio between chainring and sprocket.

Basically it means that the power stroke of each leg is always at the same point on the tyre, two revolutions later.

Ahh! I see what you mean, although that's somewaht mitigate because it's single speed rather than fixed.

« Reply #13955 on: 09 August, 2013, 09:31:15 pm »
Are you OK?
Yeah thanks - all credit due to the tyres and bike, tbh. It blew out instantly, but thick tread meant I could brake to a stop ok. 25mph at the time with (fortunately) stationary queuing traffic next to me. Not the normal 70mph traffic.

Sooo - your brakeless rider, Jurek. What sort of crap tyres are they using?

The downside of using disc brakes is that I lock the rear wheel up constantly. The Rubino pro wore flat really fast - these randoneur pros weren't showing any sign of wear.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13956 on: 09 August, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
Hit debris, ripped 1" hole in sidewall. Bugger, that tyre has only done 500 miles. Booted it with inner tube and limped home
For an instant I read that as saying you'd ripped a hole in the wall of a house. I was amazed that you could do that and still be writing.  :o Though I suppose if it had been a plasterboard prefab...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #13957 on: 12 August, 2013, 10:18:28 am »
After a long and painful saga with the online retailer from which I purchased it, I finally got to ride in on my equillibrium 00 this morning! Happy with the bike, responsive and comfy with just enough feedback. Only 2 problems, the seat material is very slippy and the brakes calipers are made of swiss cheese.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13958 on: 12 August, 2013, 11:11:05 am »
I trundled into work at Great Yarmouth via Tube, trains, taxi and Brompton. Hopefully to be reversed in a couple of day's time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #13959 on: 12 August, 2013, 11:42:22 am »
I trundled into work at Great Yarmouth via Tube, trains, taxi and Brompton. Hopefully to be reversed in a couple of day's time.
My condolences ...

« Reply #13960 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:56:46 pm »
Saw and waved at Pippa. Somehow managed to do the commute in 35 minutes, the wind must have been behind me.

A colleague came and asked me if I'd been cycling down Cannon Street Road the other day and I confirmed I had. She was in her car and said she'd tooted me but I'd responded with a scornful glance. I'd had a bit of hassle with drivers that day as I'd pootled round various site visits so I'm quite grateful that I decided against making any kind of rude gesture and stopped at a bit of a dirty look; I'd assumed that she was just a moron driver who had a problem with me being in the middle of the road to turn right  :-[

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #13961 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:04:00 pm »
Saw NSTN just after leaving home. Then, there were Police with clipboards at that awful Aldgate junction. I wonder what they were making notes about - maybe how to make the junction less cycle friendly? They were there the other morning as well, but instead of clipboards they seemed to be issuing fines to RLJing cyclists. They had parked directly over the bit of blue paint. Yeah the blue paint and junction is crappy anyway, but it was particularly more so with everyone having to navigate around the parked police car.

And then this evening, same junction but heading home, I was going right onto the Commercial Road.  I was in the ASL and there was a guy on a scooter to the left of me in the ASL. When the lighs changed we both moved, except I was going for a long shallow right turn to avoid the hole in the road, whereas he was going for a sharp right. It all got a bit wobbly, sweary and clenchy for a brief moment as his front wheel came into contact with my foot on the pedal. No harm done but cue lots of head shaking from both of us at each other.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13962 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »
I got zapped by a police speed gun going through Beckermet. They must have been there catching the rat-runners who speed through there but by the time I left work they were getting a bit bored.  They offered to tell me what speed I was doing but asI was going uphill into a headwind I really wasn't interested.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #13963 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:11:42 pm »
Three noteworthy things on today's ride:

• I've managed to bend the axle on yet another pair of ATAC Alium pedals  ::-)
  • The hipster idiot on a brakeless *singlespeed* (how do I know? Because the stupid cunt was freewheeling through the lights at Skeldergate)
  • The Sustrans chuggers at Rowntree Park obviously have a death wish.

« Reply #13964 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »
First commute since being knocked off. Didn't feel like it had affected me on lel, but was really nervous at junctions today - even found myself hesitant on roundabouts.

Tips on getting over it welcome. Commute is in to central Leeds or central Bradford, so pretty heavy traffic.

Chris S

« Reply #13965 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:25:19 pm »
First commute since being knocked off. Didn't feel like it had affected me on lel, but was really nervous at junctions today - even found myself hesitant on roundabouts.

Tips on getting over it welcome. Commute is in to central Leeds or central Bradford, so pretty heavy traffic.

You need us as your lead-out  ;D.

« Reply #13966 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:30:18 pm »
Please!

« Reply #13967 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:38:40 pm »
Tips on getting over it welcome.
Somewhat less flippantly, we had a thread:Fight The Fear

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #13968 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:28:49 am »

I did my third commute post being knocked off today and you just have to keep at it. First time in I was taking my Italia in for a service at Condor so cycled in with my wife, which helped. Second time was yesterday and on the new commuter bike. found myself cycling way more defensively. Today was a little better but I am still very aware of turnings and junctions. Probably a good thing! ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13969 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:44:52 am »
A lovely morning, a little chilly in the shadows, but lovely when I got into the sun.

Careful drivers, giving me plenty of room.

No punctures.

Record time to get to work.

I have a feeling I am actually still asleep and dreaming :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13970 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:09:27 am »
On the way home last night - police car and ambulance pulled up onto verge a few hundred yards ahead of me. By the time I got there, ambulance had set off.

Bicycle left abandoned on grass in front of police car.

There is a cyclepath there so I guess either the rider collapsed from health problems or managed to come off somehow.

Nothing in this morning's paper so maybe it was trivial.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13971 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »
Stopped in the ASL at the bottom of a hill (Loampit Vale for those wot know it). I was on the fixed with full panniers, so probably looked a bit CTC. Three chappies on flash road bikes, all the matching gear, came along, came past me, and stopped right in front of me.  Took a small amount (OK, a lot) of pleasure in scalping all three on the climb  :smug:

It's the small things that make commuting fun.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #13972 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:14:07 am »
On mornings like this I could do with extending my commute.
An additional 50 or 60 miles should do it.
Perhaps with a bit of coastline thrown in.
Please.
Hmmmmm?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13973 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:38:02 am »
A lovely morning, a little chilly in the shadows, but lovely when I got into the sun.

Careful drivers, giving me plenty of room.

No punctures.

Record time to get to work.

I have a feeling I am actually still asleep and dreaming :)

This, again, apart from the record time bit.

I seem to have entered a parrallel universe...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13974 on: 14 August, 2013, 09:45:18 am »
Hollibobs and Real Life mean I haven't commuted in by bike for a while. Today I did. And went along the gorgeousness that is   Lonesome Lane. Hah!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)