Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504291 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14225 on: 02 October, 2013, 10:11:19 am »
I'm starting to favour 'squelched'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14226 on: 02 October, 2013, 10:32:26 am »
Stopped by the polis (Traffic Division - big white hat) shouting something from the kerbside at me, on Burdett Road.
Turns out that they're doing security marking, tea, croissants, sit-inna-tipper-truck sessions in the leisure centre by the Cross-rail depot there. Cross-rail also appear to be involved (I think they may've supplied the trucks). Lots of Hi-viz stuff, bidons etc give aways.
But the whole operation was totally concealed from the road  :facepalm:
Were it not for a copper stationed on each side of the road and calling out to cyclists (what mostly couldn't be heard above the noise of the traffic) you'd never know about it.
Anyways - i managed to get the fixer security marked for free :thumbsup:
What was interesting was how many cyclists ignored the polis call to stop, pedalling away furiously with a look of terror on their faces.
Lorra guilt on wheels in east London?

« Reply #14227 on: 02 October, 2013, 10:39:57 am »
wringing wet

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14228 on: 02 October, 2013, 12:52:39 pm »
I normally call myself a drowned rat.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #14229 on: 02 October, 2013, 04:34:34 pm »
Is there a word to describe getting so wet that you can wring water out of your clothes?
capeless  :smug:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14230 on: 02 October, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »
Mancunian.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14231 on: 02 October, 2013, 10:24:51 pm »
I believe The Beautiful South know a song about that.
Getting there...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14232 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:44:14 am »
Is it winter yet? I want winter. It will free the roads of the fair weather cyclists that endanger themselves and others by their lack of cycle sense. Otherwise, nice weather this morning (not sure it will be this afternoon!) and had a nice spin in!

« Reply #14233 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:37:21 am »
Stopped by the polis (Traffic Division - big white hat) shouting something from the kerbside at me, on Burdett Road.
Turns out that they're doing security marking, tea, croissants, sit-inna-tipper-truck sessions in the leisure centre by the Cross-rail depot there. Cross-rail also appear to be involved (I think they may've supplied the trucks). Lots of Hi-viz stuff, bidons etc give aways.

I've still never done this. I'm reluctant to leave my bike lying around whilst I'm trying out the lorry. However, if anyone here does get an opportunity to do it, can you please, please, please sit in the seat and then ask the person supervising it to adjust all the mirrors to suit your height and driving position. Because this is what I intend to do when I get a chance.
I know someone who drives lorries regularly and he's told me that if the mirrors are properly adjusted you don't have any blind spots around the cab when the vehicle's stationary and you're sitting lined up straight. I'm not convinced about the front left in front of the "A" pillar, but it sort of makes sense.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #14234 on: 03 October, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
I guess that'll depend on whether (and where) any extra blind-spot mirrors are fitted, e.g.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14235 on: 03 October, 2013, 10:22:03 am »
I know someone who drives lorries regularly and he's told me that if the mirrors are properly adjusted you don't have any blind spots around the cab when the vehicle's stationary and you're sitting lined up straight.
A long-standing friend who is both a keen cyclist and driver of humungous artics says modern lorries don't have blind spots* - they just have drivers who don't look.

* I feel this may not be strictly true, but I know what he means.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #14236 on: 03 October, 2013, 12:04:58 pm »

I've still never done this. I'm reluctant to leave my bike lying around whilst I'm trying out the lorry. However, if anyone here does get an opportunity to do it, can you please, please, please sit in the seat and then ask the person supervising it to adjust all the mirrors to suit your height and driving position. Because this is what I intend to do when I get a chance.
I know someone who drives lorries regularly and he's told me that if the mirrors are properly adjusted you don't have any blind spots around the cab when the vehicle's stationary and you're sitting lined up straight. I'm not convinced about the front left in front of the "A" pillar, but it sort of makes sense.

As someone who is about to relinquish his Class 1 LGV licence next week (significant birthday forthcoming, and I'm not re-newing the licence as it costs, and I'm unlikely to ever need it again.) I can tell you that with sufficient mirrors, correctly adjusted you can see more of the vehicle than you can in any car I have ever driven.

NB Gus' comment about drivers not looking.
I'll only add that I am sooooo glad to no longer be driving artics, mostly because of the abject numptiness I have witnessed coming from cyclists, the numbers of whom have increased enormously since the last time I drove one, circa 2006.

ian

« Reply #14237 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:47:18 pm »
Yesterday, but I've been re-mulling it in the light of a few other discussions.

So I'm cycling down Blackfriars Road towards the lights with Union St outside Southwark Station. I'm pretty much taking the middle of the inside lane at a merry old pace when a taxi slides up besides me, too close for comfort, but black cab intimacy is not exactly unusual. He's indicating left but hey, I'm in the way. OK, at this point I'm familiar with the considerate ways of the London cabbie and ponder the relative benefits of discretion versus valour but I was feeling a little bloody minded so I stand (or rather ride) my ground but I also prepared for the inevitable. Which, of course, inevitable it was, as he promptly attempted the left-hook. As I was anticipating it, we both went around into Union Street. Had I kept going forward there was no doubt in my mind that he would have simply driven over me.

I don't normally get into it with drivers. Nothing good comes of it in my experience, but feeling calm and unfeasibly reasonable about the entire thing, I decided to have a word with him. So at the next lights I ride up beside him and tap on the window and he rolls it down. This is pretty much the conversation we had, none of it particularly heated. I tried to be perfectly calm and agreeable.

"You did see me there, didn't you? You could have knocked me off."

"I was indicating. I have a witness," he nods to the fare in the back who just looks like she'd rather be elsewhere (considering his driving skills, that wasn't a bad idea).

"Look, I'm really not trying to start an argument. But come on, wouldn't it have been better for us both if you'd been courteous enough to slow down for a moment. I'm sure you'd not like someone in your family to be injured or killed like that."

"I'd run over someone like you."

"What do you mean, like me?"

"Cyclists. Knocking one of you lot off would make my day."

At that point, I figured I was just going to get angry so I let him go. To be honest, I feel sorry for people like that. Five minutes later, I was happily cycling along, he'll still be carrying that toxic attitude for the rest of his undoubtedly shitty life.

But I'm kind of frustrated in retrospect knowing that someone with that attitude (and it wasn't just words, he would have run me over) is actually being paid to drive and there's nothing I can do about it. In any other context, say someone was sitting there twiddling a knife and telling people he wanted to stab someone, we'd reasonably be alarmed enough to take action. In a car, it's seems perfectly fine to expound such homicidal fantasies. I didn't take his number and I doubt any complaint would achieve any outcome.

« Reply #14238 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »
Sheesh. I'm not sure I would have been able to control myself at that point and not simply banged his mirror off and cycled off into the distance. And I don't do that sort of thing.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14239 on: 03 October, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »
Some countries have psychological testing as part of the driving licence application. I doubt whether if it's actually designed to catch that sort of attitude, but it could be.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14240 on: 03 October, 2013, 05:12:48 pm »

So I'm cycling down Blackfriars Road towards the lights with Union St outside Southwark Station. I'm pretty much taking the middle of the inside lane at a merry old pace when a taxi slides up besides me, too close for comfort, but black cab intimacy is not exactly unusual. He's indicating left but hey, I'm in the way. OK, at this point I'm familiar with the considerate ways of the London cabbie and ponder the relative benefits of discretion versus valour but I was feeling a little bloody minded so I stand (or rather ride) my ground but I also prepared for the inevitable. Which, of course, inevitable it was, as he promptly attempted the left-hook. As I was anticipating it, we both went around into Union Street. Had I kept going forward there was no doubt in my mind that he would have simply driven over me.

I don't normally get into it with drivers. Nothing good comes of it in my experience, but feeling calm and unfeasibly reasonable about the entire thing, I decided to have a word with him. So at the next lights I ride up beside him and tap on the window and he rolls it down. This is pretty much the conversation we had, none of it particularly heated. I tried to be perfectly calm and agreeable.

"I was indicating. I have a witness," he nods to the fare in the back who just looks like she'd rather be elsewhere (considering his driving skills, that wasn't a bad idea).

"Look, I'm really not trying to start an argument. But come on, wouldn't it have been better for us both if you'd been courteous enough to slow down for a moment. I'm sure you'd not like someone in your family to be injured or killed like that."

At that point, I figured I was just going to get angry so I let him go. To be honest, I feel sorry for people like that. Five minutes later, I was happily cycling along, he'll still be carrying that toxic attitude for the rest of his undoubtedly shitty life.

But I'm kind of frustrated in retrospect knowing that someone with that attitude (and it wasn't just words, he would have run me over) is actually being paid to drive and there's nothing I can do about it. In any other context, say someone was sitting there twiddling a knife and telling people he wanted to stab someone, we'd reasonably be alarmed enough to take action. In a car, it's seems perfectly fine to expound such homicidal fantasies. I didn't take his number and I doubt any complaint would achieve any outcome.

Sympathies, fortunately that sort of murderous intent is actually fairly uncommon.

And, I know I tend to get shot down every time I say this, but I am personally certain that the ability of people to say things like that is reinforced by the stories of people saying things like that getting their come-uppance on Twitter etc. Some people just hear the original "I'd like to kill cyclists" and something inside them says, "yeah". Repetition makes it acceptable in their misguided world.

« Reply #14241 on: 03 October, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »

When I did it a little while ago, there were enough polis around that I didn't have any worries about my bike ... (In fact, it never got left 'lying around' - I handed it to a policeman who waited till I'd got into the driver's seat, then wheeled it to the back of the lorry, then up the nearside, then round to the front, so I could see exactly how easy *my bike* was to miss.)

The mirrors were big enough and I am typical-enough bloke-size that I didn't feel the need to ask for any adjustment. Even without it, I'd be inclined to agree with your friend and with Jurek: there was never any point on my bike's journey up the sides of the truck and round the front where I couldn't see it.

That is, I could see it if I was looking. There were plenty of spots where my bike, and the six-foot copper in a hi-vi waistcoat pushing it, were very difficult to see with a casual glance in the right mirror, and completely invisible if I was looking either at the road or at any of the other six or eight mirrors.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14242 on: 03 October, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »

Perhaps it's time to start carrying some form of instant-justice dispenser. Like an AK-47.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14243 on: 03 October, 2013, 06:27:16 pm »
Do London Taxis lock their doors while moving? If not I would have been tempted to open the door and ask his fare if he fancied being driven by such an agressive, threatening man, then left the door open and ridden off.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14244 on: 03 October, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
Yes, the doors are locked when in motion.

And no, no complaint would gain any action, whether to the complacent PCO, or the thoroughly corrupt Met.
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14245 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:56:16 pm »
Well, despite the shroud-waving by the weather forecasters the work-bound and home-bound trips were in the dry and it was not much windier than usual. 

The road-chutney season has opened. Hey ho.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #14246 on: 04 October, 2013, 08:41:21 am »
I think, Ian, you'd made a mistake even talking to them. Their driving had already demonstrated that they were running on half of one brain cell; and that was busy reading the Daily Mail.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14247 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:45:26 am »
....or the thoroughly corrupt Met.

??

Had a few incidents this week myself, including another taxi doing the "I am u-turning in front of you, WTF are you gonna do about it" stare.
Some @rsehole in a corsa got p1ssed off at me for going in front of him at 2 sets of lights into the ASL, so a "punishment pass" was in order there.

Maybe I have been unlucky recently, but almost sense that commuting is back to normal after a more forgiving summer's driving.  Also feel quite a lot more nervous after many stories of other tragedies, this is possibly a good thing.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14248 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
The Met have form in allowing cabbies a free pass.  May just be freemasonry; may be brown envelopes - I don't know.
Getting there...

« Reply #14249 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
The Met have form in allowing cabbies a free pass.  May just be freemasonry; may be brown envelopes - I don't know.
Do you think that is still as prevalent as it once may've been?
Given that the Met no longer run the PCO, that job having been given to TfL.