Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503366 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #15125 on: 27 February, 2014, 06:25:25 pm »
It snowed. Not much but I was glad I had me long uns on under me short uns.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #15126 on: 27 February, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
Pootled back- was nice to do so with some light still around!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #15127 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:35:03 am »
An incredible amount of Not Fun was had this morning. COLD. A raw, damp Nor'Easter. Brrrr :(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

menthel

« Reply #15128 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:48:42 am »
Cold and headwindy. Also PT on Wednesday would seem to have done for my legs- they barely move! Still, at least it had stopped raining!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15129 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:19:48 pm »
"Gonna need a bigger oven, Mother!"

3 of them, mugging passing drivers...They were hooooge.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

menthel

« Reply #15130 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
Busy out there today! Weather was crisp but nice though.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15131 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »
Gorgeous sunshine (if cold) Decided to head out to Wasdale on the way home*.

Also found my first lambs of the spring :D

* well 25 km out of my way but you know what I mean :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #15132 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:16:05 pm »
I rode that with Deano last year mcshroom, it's gorgeous isn't it? 

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15133 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
It is rather splendid. Getting just about cloud-free fells round the lake is very rare  which made it extra special :)

« Reply #15134 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:55:33 am »

Wow !   Just wow !

From a London commuter's perspective that looks pretty special.
Rust never sleeps

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #15135 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:59:37 am »
I'd appreciate these beautiful bright frosty mornings more if they weren't so bloody cold.

Yet another morning of motorists behaving themselves. What's going on?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #15136 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:32:14 am »
"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned... I have not commuted by bike for *cough* a while."

Flat pedals feel strange. I struggled to find a speed which kept all of me at the correct temperature. Realised I don't own any trouser clips. Now want to eat everything. (I'll make do with a coffee.) Didn't spot any rabbits, usually there are loads.

Still a nice start to the day, though, and saved a few drops of petrol too.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15137 on: 04 March, 2014, 09:07:12 am »
Sounds good Dibdib :thumbsup:

(Raid the stationary cupboard for rubber bands - good makeshift trouser clips)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #15138 on: 04 March, 2014, 09:11:35 am »

Wow !   Just wow !

From a London commuter's perspective that looks pretty special.

Meh.  I prefer the views as I slog through Putney......the stale taste of car exhausts, the mindless pedestrians, defending my space against buses - what is not to love?

Nope - you're a lucky chap mcshroom
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

fuzzy

« Reply #15139 on: 04 March, 2014, 12:42:10 pm »
I'd appreciate these beautiful bright frosty mornings more if they weren't so bloody cold.
Yup, it was a tad chilly this morning wasn't it?

Yet another morning of motorists behaving themselves. What's going on?

All the fuckwits have moved to Marlow I think ::-)

maxcherry

« Reply #15140 on: 04 March, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »

Also found my first lambs of the spring :D

* well 25 km out of my way but you know what I mean :)

Where is this magical land? It's beautiful!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #15141 on: 05 March, 2014, 08:06:19 am »
Firstly I'd like to thank the good people of Marlow for welcoming the motons of mid Beds :thumbsup: Another morning of well-behaved drivers.

And another bright, beautiful frosty mornining.

I could get used to this!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15142 on: 05 March, 2014, 09:01:47 am »
Three consecutive days of blue skies and light winds. I'm confuzzled ???

Dragged the Trek into work the steep way for the first time in a while. I'm slowly getting fitter it seems but I still think it would be better as a 44x18 than the 44x17 it is at present. Fingerless gloves too :)

« Reply #15143 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:45:57 am »

The Lake district. There are lots of bits like that. Wasdale commonly has cloud down the hills so views as nice in Marcus's pictures are unusual.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15144 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:55:58 am »

The Lake district. There are lots of bits like that. Wasdale commonly has cloud down the hills so views as nice in Marcus's pictures are unusual.

Sorry, missed the question earlier. Yes those are heading up Wasdale towards Wastwater on the Santon Bridge Road in the Lakes.

Bit of advertising now, Revellinho's Cumbrian 200 audax goes right to the top of that lake and out on the road I was riding on the 17th May :)
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-95/

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #15145 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:59:45 am »
First cycle commute of the year.

First it was sunny, then when I got to the polder it was cold and misty with the sun tantalisingly visible above the mist. Then it was clear again. Got lost found yet another route around the closed bridge in Rijswijk.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #15146 on: 05 March, 2014, 01:03:27 pm »
As I approached Pencoed I looked at my watch and saw I had twenty minutes to get to work. I thought probably not enough time to take the scenic route but then I considered the traffic queues at the lights, the school, the road works and passed the first exit and took the second towards Heol y Cyw. A much nicer route with low traffic but I am heading slightly away from work so I take a left turn onto Heol Llan. As I climb up the little hill I am overtaken by a single car.  Near the top I look across to Mynydd y Gair to admire the view. It's downhill now, so very soon I am in Coity, every commute should have at least one castle. I look at my watch and realise that my time is up and I am at work yet, Oops :-) It's a quick ride from Coity to Bridgend Industrial Estate and work. 

Note to self.  Allow half an hour before taking scenic route.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15147 on: 05 March, 2014, 01:18:04 pm »
Set off a little late so did the shortest possible route to the station this morning... only to get there to find the trains were buggered.

After hanging about at the station for a bit, I decided to take my chances and ride to the next station down the line, 14km away, where I knew the train before mine was still being held. Of course, I was halfway there when I saw a train whizz past me, checked my app and saw that they'd all started moving again...  :facepalm:

Fortunately, I got to the station to find that my train (the one I'd seen whizz past) was still being held there, which was lucky. They'd started moving again but only intermittently.

So, despite leaving the house late, I managed to catch my usual train plus get a bonus ride in glorious springlike conditions. OK, so I got to work late due to the hold-ups, but at least I got there in a calm, happy mood rather than the usual stressed-out state when the trains screw up.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15148 on: 05 March, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »
Set off half an hour later than usual this morning and saw the sun come up into a clear, blue sky. Doesn't get any better than that.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #15149 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:00:06 am »
Ended up driving round the block on a test drive in the car at 5.40pm as it had a fault I was trying to get fixed in a hurry before my wife went out.  Ended up at front of queue at traffic lights (with advance stop line)  that I've been across hundreds of times as a cyclist.  Road narrows the other side and becomes bumpy.  The generally accepted behaviour as a cyclist at this junction  is to let 2 cars go past and then move out for the bumpy bits.

As I'm waiting,a cyclist comes up to junction.  Bike has skinny tyres and cyclist creeps over the advance stop line. 

Lights go green and off we go.  I give cyclist as much room as I can and I'm past him.  But as road narrows and I slow down for the bumpy bit I hear a loud bang -like a cyclist banging on my door with a key or something hard.  WTF I think and slow down more, at which point cyclist overtakes on my outside and swerves to block my path, falling off his bike in the process.  He then proceeds to open my car door, give me a torrent of abuse about him needing to move out to avoid the bumps and slams my car door hard. 

My immediate reaction -as a seasoned cycle commuter - was the one that I don't want car drivers to think- that  cyclists are a bunch of arrogant self-righteous p**ks who deserve to get run off the road.

OK I misjudged his speed,but he could have eased slightly and moved out behind me. 

With a reaction like I got in that situation, that guy is going to get stoved in by someone less mild mannered than I am.

The roads are there for the benefit of everyone.  A bit of give and take is required.