Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504235 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #16725 on: 01 April, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »
Last night

A simple ride, although the wind certainly added time, effort and hazard! I got half-heartedly rained on, but not enough to get me too wet.

This morning

Legs were still tired from last night, and got another good workout against this wind this morning. It was dammed chilly, but I had enough clothing to be comfortable. Drama free, too, which was nice.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16726 on: 01 April, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »
Thing is, if the weather's bad enough that it's difficult to cycle in, you know the train is going to be having worse problems.
I'm not at all sure about that. The train will be crowded, the atmosphere in the carriages will be humid, muggy even, but the train has two things which are very useful in strong winds: power and weight. Barring trees on the line, it's going to get there without incident - there may be hesitation or even repetition but there won't be any deviation or stalling.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16727 on: 01 April, 2015, 04:23:33 pm »
While Birmingham was being bombarded with trees yesterday, overhead line problems were causing minor chaos on the railways, with (as usual) the local services being the worst affected.  Same sort of thing tends to happen when it snows.

I agree that it's possible to engineer railways to cope with weather, but that wouldn't be British.

ian

« Reply #16728 on: 01 April, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
Oddly the trains seemed to run fine yesterday, which is unusual since they mostly don't, especially for those of us on a line that is (a) run by Southern and (b) one that they forget about and (c) run by Southern. The power is on the ground down here, so no lines to blow over, but I live in a place with trees that tend to swoon when presented with the blowsy affections of inclement weather.

« Reply #16729 on: 01 April, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »
Where did all those cyclists come from? There were four others on Borough Road alone.

Had a brief conversation with a cyclist in Croft (we'd been shuttling since East Cowton).

Him: Do you ride audaxes?
Me: Yes.
Him: Aye, you always have those..
Me: Carradice? Mudguards? Rapha?
Him: mudflaps.

Jacomus

« Reply #16730 on: 02 April, 2015, 10:51:50 am »
Last night

Traffic chaos and loads of sirens last night as I rode through Bank and Monument-ish. Turns out there is some kind of underground fire on the go on Kingsway and it's still burning today :o

I was following a fellow cyclist on the A2 when the wind drove a plastic bag from right to left between his wheels, where it was clipped by his pedal and found a home trapped between mudguard and the wheel.

This morning

An easy ride, light traffic. Almost all drivers being sensible. There is a lot debris on the road, blown around over night.

Bloody bus companies! >:( Oil is supposed to stay inside the engine. I thought that lorries were generally the cause of diesel spills, but bus lanes and stops are covered in the stuff.

I pointed out a particularly nasty patch to a motorcyclist who was about to ride through it. He stopped and said something to me, then dodged around it, but I didn't catch what he said. I'm hoping he knew what I was pointing at, and not thinking I was trying to stop him passing!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #16731 on: 02 April, 2015, 07:02:11 pm »
Delayed leaving site so I got to the station 2 minutes after the train home. So it was ride on home, 20 miles and 15 minutes quicker than waiting 30 minutes for the next train.  :smug:

« Reply #16732 on: 03 April, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »
For reasons involving minor illness (that dreadful cold that would not go away) and injury (for some reason some houses in Croydon are built with ridiculously steep & narrow stairs, and bouncing down them on your arse is not recommended) I only did my first full cycle commute on Monday this week, four months after moving.

A round trip from Croydon to Poplar is about 25 miles; about 10 miles more than what I'm used to, and with more Hills. Oh, and the drivers in Croydon are a special breed, although, I must say, not entirely dissimilar to the drivers of Tower Hamlets in many respects.

Jane and Jurek of this parish, being familiar with these roads, had already kindly helped me out with a recce ride in January (before the cold and the stairs hit me) so I'd done the route once before. Jane had also showed me an off-road route, but I'm working long hours at the moment due to the fact that my employers are saving lots of money by deliberately delaying recruitment can't seem to recruit quickly enough, which means even with the clocks changing I'm sometimes coming home at dusk, so I stuck to the road route.

I didn't get lost at all on the way there, though I stopped several times to check the map and what turn was coming up next. Once we got close to Greenwich I finally became part of a very small peleton of cyclists (rather different from when I lived in Stockwell and used CS7, which often felt like you were part of some kind of amateur TdF). Up til then I'd been mostly on my own. I guessed most of them were going to the same place as me (Greenwich foot tunnel) and followed them there.

Don't much like Greenwich foot tunnel on a commute, I must admit. Don't like walking through it, but don't like breaking Teh Roolz and upsetting peds by cycling through it like pretty much almost everyone else does. I especially don't like when the lift's there and you can see it and you have to scurry to catch it. But don't have a lot of choice for river crossings at that point - going to Tower Bridge would take me too far west.

Once out of the foot tunnel, I do at least know exactly where I am and it's plain sailing from there.

Got a bit lost on the way home. I was knackered after a hard day at work, it was getting dark, I went left where I should have gone right and almost ended up in Catford. Luckily I soon realised my mistake and managed to turn around and head in the right direction. There was a total fucker of a headwind though; I remember slogging up the hills (I'm unfit, ok?) and then pedalling down the bastards. It took me an hour and half each time, but I expect to cut that down significantly once I'm able to stop stopping and looking at maps.

Going to aim for twice a week at first. I took the Spesh Globe; it's a fully mudguarded-up hubgeared workhorse that can easily cope with crashing around some of the crappy road surfaces between here and there. It's not the lightest bike though. In the summer months (don't laugh) I might treat myself to using the rather lovelier road bike that I bought off Charlotte to do the RideLondon 100 on.

« Reply #16733 on: 03 April, 2015, 04:59:10 pm »
Well done on the commute Laura! :thumbsup:
It goes without saying the more often you do it, the easier it becomes.
Or something...
There are alternative crossings at Greenwich, but they involve the use of your Oyster card and either the DLR from Cutty Sark to Island Gds - if you are on the (fully folded)  Brommie - otherwise that option is only available outside of peak hours (I think)
Or, alternatively, there's the clipper service from Greenwich pier to Mast House pier - both of which may be less than desirable as they bind you to someone else's timetable as opposed to your own IYSWIM.

ian

« Reply #16734 on: 03 April, 2015, 05:18:41 pm »
Top tip, if you get lost in Catford ask The Cat, he knows all. Including the way to Croydonia. The Waterlink Way isn't a bad route in daylight hours, mostly off-road Cator Park north and a fairly straight and fast run between Croydon and Greenwich (I skip South Norwood Country Park and go through Beckenham Cemetery, across the tram tracks, down Harrington Rd, across Portland Road and then take Davidson Rd right into Croydonia). I've started coming back that way to give my lungs a break from the bus fumes on the A23. Sadly takes me a bit longer, but on the way home it's a more chilled route. I've also started to clamber up to Sanderstead in my continued efforts to avoid the A22 post-Croydon. Effective if something of a workout. I probably shouldn't have picked the windiest day of the year to explore that option. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't have lived somewhere that is all bloody hills.

What I forgot to mention about the windy day was Mr Trackstand showing off his ninja skillz by balancing at the lights. Did you not notice the wind, the savage and capricious gusts stalking the streets of south London? Evidently not. Sadly, they were unable to resuscitate his pride and it died at the roadside.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #16735 on: 04 April, 2015, 03:54:42 pm »
Well done on biting the bullet and doing your first new commute NSTN, it's surprising what a difference moving a few miles makes, isn't it?  It might as well be a new country when you're trying to find new routes and new roads.

Very sensible of you waiting for the spring.  You can do without arctic weather on top of route-finding.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #16736 on: 05 April, 2015, 11:37:25 am »
Thanks guys.

Jurek, the alternatives to the foot tunnel are faffy (and also not free) so I'll stick with it. I know in reality it's only a few minutes' time I'm losing, but on a commute I'm normally keen to get somewhere and resent it. I'll likely resent it even more when the lifts are broken, I'm sure...

Will have another couple of goes next week. Definitely need to cement the route in my brain so I can stop messing around with maps, which will save a lot of time. The Brompton will still come out to play for Overground-assisted commutes so that I can take it on site visits, however, because taking it on site visits in east London means I don't have to lock a bike up outside in bike theft central.

On the plus side, if my old commute impressed people, who knows what they'll think of this one...

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16737 on: 06 April, 2015, 02:46:50 pm »
Gloriously traffic and annoyance free this morning riding from Sanderstead to Southwark... almost made up for having to work the bank holiday

Jacomus

« Reply #16738 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:23:31 am »
Sunday

16 miles to training, cracked out in 1 hr 20 min, very nice indeed :thumbsup:

There were a LOT of low quality drivers out there, but mostly they did their poor driving in my sight, not in proximity to me.

I went intermodal on the way home, 9.7 miles to the station then train from there - amazing that they were running!

This morning

Off to a bad start - rear tyre was flat this morning. I'm thinking valve failure as it was fine when I did my daily checks last night :( Still, I'd rather change the tube in the comfort of my living room than at the side of the road.

I discovered the delightfully quirky fact that the Brompton rear axle has a specific 'up' and 'down' - after spending fikkin' ages wondering why I couldn't get the retainer clips to sit in their slots >:(

Then I discovered that I must have knocked the marker nut out of place on the timing chain, as I was getting a lot of slippage trying to select second. A couple of stops on route to fettle it and I've got all 3 gears working properly again now. I'm getting sick of the Brompton shifter though. Either I've been unlucky and got a duff one, or they really are crap. I feel like a £1k bike should have a shifter that you don't have to coax and wiggle to select a gear! It's been like this since day one and has not bedded in.

I had a decent ride this morning, but I didn't enjoy it - I was too frustrated by running an hour behind schedule and temperamental gears.

« Reply #16739 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:34:38 am »
. I'll likely resent it even more when the lifts are broken, I'm sure...

Jinxed myself! South lift out today. The Globe is a heavy beast, and while I managed to carry it down the stairs, I'm somewhat dreading carrying it up them later on today, and may be forced to investigate ferry timetables. I assume there's no way of finding out if it's still out other than actually going there (google had not been my friend).

« Reply #16740 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:45:21 am »
Greenwich *occasionally* tweets status updates (that one's from October though) and it might be worth reporting the fault in the hope that you get an update when it's fixed.

ian

« Reply #16741 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:48:10 am »
I'm getting sick of the Brompton shifter though. Either I've been unlucky and got a duff one, or they really are crap. I feel like a £1k bike should have a shifter that you don't have to coax and wiggle to select a gear! It's been like this since day one and has not bedded in.

No, they's just a bit crap and tend to randomly change gears when faced by the average far-side-of-moon texture of south London's roads. Other times they're markedly resistant to changing at all unless you wiggle them loose. Certainly the bog standard Shimano handlebar shifters on my other bikes are a bazillion times better. The grip-shifter on my far cheaper other folder is better for that matter.

On the plus side, if my old commute impressed people, who knows what they'll think of this one...

My once-a-week (ish) commute from the far, far side of Croydonia (another 8 miles or so) is regarded with awe, even by the mothership's coterie of cyclists, who have to eat about six muffins each to refuel after rolling in from Hackney. To be honest, I never planned to cycle all the way in, hence the Brompton, but given the amount of time it takes to get to the train station, at which point there may or may not be a train, then get the train to London Bridge, spend another 10 minutes squeezing down the narrowed platforms, and then getting the bus (inevitably it'll get caught caught up roadworks) to the mothership, I generally can't fail to cycle it quicker.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16742 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:54:20 am »
Really foggy this morning. I don't like it when it's that bad as I'm on edge all the time about whether people can see me, even when I'd added a third light on the back. Slower too as I can't take the downhills at any speed. I came close to abiling out and driving in as at least there's a metal box round me then.

I had to remove my glasses half way as they were fogging up too, and arrived at work with dew formed on my shorts and the sleeves of my baselayer. Hoping it burns off before I head home.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #16743 on: 07 April, 2015, 11:06:26 am »
. I'll likely resent it even more when the lifts are broken, I'm sure...

Jinxed myself! South lift out today. The Globe is a heavy beast, and while I managed to carry it down the stairs, I'm somewhat dreading carrying it up them later on today, and may be forced to investigate ferry timetables. I assume there's no way of finding out if it's still out other than actually going there (google had not been my friend).
There's an app.
I've seen it advertised in the local rag in Greenwich Waitrose, and someone has clipped the article into the noticeboard at the top of the south lift shaft.
I believe the purpose of the app is to inform you of the status of the lifts.
Not that that's going to help you today.
They do now have signage at the top of each lift shaft telling you (sometimes correctly) what the status of the lifts is (part of the £11.2 million tunnel refurbishment spend).
TBH,  if it was broken in the morning, on a weekday chances are that it'll be fixed by the evening.
Sometimes.

« Reply #16744 on: 07 April, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
There's an app.

Going to be, I thought.

Certainly Google Play doesn't seem to know about it yet.

« Reply #16745 on: 07 April, 2015, 11:18:32 am »
^
You may be right.
I confess to have only skimmed the headline.

ian

« Reply #16746 on: 07 April, 2015, 11:24:26 am »
I hate those lifts. I once made the mistake of popping into the Canary Wharf Waitrose for a few items and getting carried away and coming out with two panniers full. Got to the tunnel and both lifts were out. Had to lug my chunky commuting bike and all shopping down and up the stairs. Was tempted to chance the DLR. By the time I clambered up into Greenwich, my arms wished I had.

« Reply #16747 on: 07 April, 2015, 11:46:17 am »
Thanks all.  I've only got a Windows phone so many apps aren't available for that in any case (even when they are ready).

The LED display was showing the correct info so I assume they know but reported it anyway in the hope of an update.

Also tweeted them asking them to tweet an update for all the good it may do.

« Reply #16748 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »
Had an email saying it was fixed as of 10.30 but saying they'd go and investigate again (because my message arrived slightly after 10.30). Replied hurriedly to say no need to investigate again, don't want to waste anyone's time obvs. Quite impressed they got back to me really.

« Reply #16749 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:16:52 pm »
 :o