Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503510 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2075 on: 10 August, 2010, 09:35:14 am »
As with many others I got very wet this morning.   The interesting part of my ride was when I turned left from Eldon St into Wilson St,  it is a corner with a raised section of cobbles that has been badly repaired.
As I turned my rear end slid out by a good 2 feet, fortunately I manned to hold the bike upright and carry on.
No idea quite how I did it thought.  Still impressed with my skillz.
Just someone's butler

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2076 on: 10 August, 2010, 09:37:37 am »
Well, as it wasn’t that cold I just decided to get wet (my only concession to the weather was to put my armwarmers on).  After the first ten minutes I wasn’t really going to get any wetter and had an ok ride.  There wasn’t much traffic about, cyclist or motorised (I think I only saw four other riders going through Richmond Park).

« Reply #2077 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:05:40 am »
I've struggled to find a space on the sheffield stands in the office bike shed recently.

Not so today ;D

« Reply #2078 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:06:43 am »
ok, so I was ten minutes early today but there were only two other bikes in the racks this morning! Last week they were full. It's not raining that hard and it's not cold. Wimps the lot of them!
S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2079 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
I got wet, very wet. So wet that I don't think my shoes will dry out, even stuffed with newspaper and sitting on top of an air conditioning vent.

It was fun  ;D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2080 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »
So wet that I don't think my shoes will dry out, even stuffed with newspaper and sitting on top of an air conditioning vent.

*looks next to desk*  Yep, my sandals are dry.  :smug:

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #2081 on: 10 August, 2010, 06:38:29 pm »
Someone shouted something unintelligible at me as they overtook, sort of a "Ooohaaagghwurrrggh" noise.

Reminded me of this:

A Hundred and One Wankers

Our first wanker was angry that a bicycle was on the road.

He hit his horn whilst behind me, whilst I was waiting in the cycle box at the traffic lights. As he turned at the junction alongside me, he continued to use his horn. At the next traffic lights, he rolled his window down to shout

“You stupid fxxxxng slut, get off the road and onto the pavement, you stupid bxxxh”.

He was in his company vehicle, so rather than rise to his bait, I took my iPhone out and openly took a photo of his registration plate. For some reason this shut him up.

The company in question is Cannon Hygiene.

I’ve written to them to tell them about their driver, and will update if they get back to me.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2082 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:44:57 pm »
Cycled home late, tonight, after meeting friends.  Call me weird, but cycling home in the dark, on damp streets after the rain, was very enjoyable.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2083 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:48:30 pm »
as you wish..
you are weird itsbruce

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2084 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »
I got abused by vuvezela this evening riding down Priory Lane.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2085 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:46:53 pm »
I got abused by vuvezela this evening riding down Priory Lane.

Bastards.

simonp

« Reply #2086 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:47:42 pm »
I followed a bus down Coldhams Lane at about 44kph.

Then it started raining, and I locked my back wheel stopping at a mini roundabout because of a u-turning car.

18 minutes 7s - one of my fastest commutes this year.

Went home the long way, via Haslingfield.  29.9km @ 25.8kph.  Chatted to a horsey woman on a mountain bike at the level crossing @ Little Shelford.  Rode up most of Lime Kiln Hill sat down at 28kph.  Then puff ran out and the final bit was a tad slower.  Recovered on the way down the other side.

"I'm back, baby!" </frank_costanza>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2087 on: 11 August, 2010, 07:16:43 am »
Well it was very pretty what with the mist and the sunrise and all that bucolic charm but it was a little chilly.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2088 on: 11 August, 2010, 08:50:42 am »
Coo, sometimes, just sometimes, the lights work the right way and let me go through.  That's not to say I wasn't stopped.  I was.  Enough times that I can't count them.  But it was a smooth, flowy ride and the dickheads in boxes were few enough that it was good.

Had a cracking ride home last night, too.  I met up with Butterfly, and we rode to Kings Cross to try to sort out a tricky trains issue (they couldn't help us at KX, ftr).  Then rode home, winding through the streets of Londinium.

We stopped at the tea van on Clapham Common, played with a dog, had tea, then rode on home.  Wet, intermittently, windy too sometimes.  But fun.
Getting there...

« Reply #2089 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:06:25 am »
Very pleasant ride in this morning - sun glinting off the River Soar as I went through Abbey Park (Leicester) - considerate (!) Motons on Dysart Way (which *is* the Road to Hell of Rea fame on this ride) - sat in the sun at Krustys Cafe, on Uppingham Road, with a cup of tea watching the traffic go by, before heading up that bl**dy hill to this pit.
 :thumbsup:
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2090 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
This morning, close to work and just about to set off from the lights at Victoria Street there was a kind of *crack*  *spiiiiiiin* and I thought I had had a Shleck moment.  On looking down and attempting to adjust my (now absent) chain, I realised it was more of a David Millar moment.

That chain and the rear cassette have been horribly worn for while, I have been trying to get as many miles out of them as I can.  This might be a sign that it’s time to get a new chain *sigh*

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2091 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:41:40 am »
Could of killed myself today.  On my commute I arrive at a tee junction with dual carriageway that is being resurfaced. I turn right here then left into another road.  I ignore the temporary no right turn sign and cross the road.  Until now they had been resurfacing the lane nearest to me. In the mornings the next lane had South bound traffic and the outer lane of the North bound carriage way is also South bound. So I used to cross XS-SN in the morning and  in the evening when there are two North bound lanes NN-SX.  This morning I arrived at the junction at a quiet period when nothing was crossing S in front of me.  I noticed that the nearside was fully resurfaced and rolled out onto it and stopped and looked right when I noticed that I was stopped across an open lane with an HGV baring down on me.  SX-SN, This evening I expect NN-XS.  May use pavement as narrowed single lane does not appeal to me.

« Reply #2092 on: 11 August, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »
as you wish..
you are weird itsbruce

No, I'm with itsbruce. Nice atmosphere.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

ian

« Reply #2093 on: 11 August, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »
A nice peaceful few days until today* when a nice person in a large Conway tipper truck decided they'd been called to some kind of dump truck emergency and came roaring up behind me as I prepared to scoot by a few parked private hire vehicles just after Clockhouse Station. Noting that the driver still had their foot to the floor and the engine was furiously buzzing like a Doppler-shifted house-sized bee on a 12000cc motorbike I let discretion persuade valour to take the day off and baled out behind the first taxi with a distinct lack of panache and significantly less brake block than I had a few moments before. Given that there was oncoming traffic, I suspect that any continuance of my trajectory around the three parked cars would have resulted in a underwear-endangering event and possibly the loss of one or more of my three dimensions.

I'm not sure if the driver simply didn't see me or was a bellicose idiot. Neither is reassuring for the driver of a vehicle that substantial. I have verified that I am indeed not blessed with the gift of invisibility (on second thoughts, I should have established this with a mirror before I ventured into the women's changing rooms).

Before anyone asks, I wasn't lurking in the gutter like the chewed remains of a McD meal, I was already in primary position as the gathering of motorized fauna around the taxi office is a given. The rail bridge by the station is shallow and anyone in a truck cab would have excellent visibility of the road ahead. Given the grim statistics for such vehicles and their interactions with cyclists you'd think an organization like this would have stressed safety and courtesy to their drivers. Managing Director of FM Conway, I do believe you have mail. I apologize if it jabs you in the eyes.

*I did forget the interaction with a car passenger a few weeks back - the usual same old story: approaching a junction with a main road, me following a car in front with about twenty metres of gap, another car behind. Single lane traffic, so no real room to overtake. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeep. There's nowhere to go in front of me even if the car can squeeze by, so whatever, go crank up your blood pressure. The car had just pulled out from a house about 75 metres from the from the junction so it's not like I had been holding it up. A few seconds later we all arrive at the junction behind the first car and the usual melody of random abuse drifts over from the car (a Jaguar, the evident pater noster of the Bromley chav wagon family tree). I've no idea really and I generally can't be bothered arguing with living and breathing refutations of Intelligent Design but we were stuck waiting for a gap in traffic and to be honest, I was minded that they'd do something stupid when we did pull out, so I reasonably pointed out why I was in the middle of the road. In doing so I noted a lady was doing the driving and seemed to having none of it, and belligerent was actually the passenger, a typical wild specimen of a male Homo throbbingtemplicus. Anyway, another chorus of abuse followed. I do try and usually succeed with the zen thing while cycling but sometimes, well, sometimes even the mightiest effort just isn't enough. Let's just say he didn't appreciate my references to Chewbacca (or for that matter my assertion that he might have been a 'hairy assed monkey fucker') and I will plead guilty to a momentary bit of pavement cycling. I expect the real Chewbacca, in his day, had a bit more fire in his legs.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2094 on: 11 August, 2010, 09:59:41 pm »
Before anyone asks, I wasn't lurking in the gutter like the chewed remains of a McD meal, I was already in primary position as the gathering of motorized fauna around the taxi office is a given. The rail bridge by the station is shallow and anyone in a truck cab would have excellent visibility of the road ahead.

I know the place you mean very well as I use that route often. Tbh, I'm amazed the truck was able to get up any speed - usually when I'm passing through, the road is chockablock with traffic. And I know what you mean about the taxis parked along the road there - I'm usually well out towards the middle of the road by the time I go over the bridge. But I have had a bus pull a similar stunt on me along that stretch of road, so I find it easy to believe that it wasn't your road positioning at fault.

I think the problem is really that the road isn't a consistent width - you get wider bits, even as wide as two lanes in places, but very narrow at other points, eg that bridge, but the truck and bus drivers still treat it like a dual carriageway for its entire length.

Let's just say he didn't appreciate my references to Chewbacca (or for that matter my assertion that he might have been a 'hairy assed monkey fucker') and I will plead guilty to a momentary bit of pavement cycling. I expect the real Chewbacca, in his day, had a bit more fire in his legs.

ROFL.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2095 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:49:40 am »
Took the single speed instead of the Peregrine this morning. I'd forgotten how much fun that bike is!! 9 minutes faster! A combination of quieter roads, lighter bike and thinner tyres. Amazing how much difference that makes!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2096 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:57:50 am »
Stayed in Streatham last night, so my commute in was via Bedford Hill.  For the first time I had a taste of what it's like commuting in on the cycle highway (the strip between Bedford Hill and The Avenue, anyway).  Pleasant little route, although a bit cramped with slow cyclists, none of whom seemed to have any legs when it came to Balham Hill and may have been a little puzzled to be passed by a quietly grumbling cyclist with what appeared to be a windsock on his head (one of those Hi-Viz Buff scarf things that I had adapted as a bandana, only for it to come slightly unravelled).

Overall, a more pleasant route than my usual.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2097 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:08:57 am »
Competion for the longest commute by the Witham contingent hots up. Further to Andy's commute of 51 miles the other morning I rode home last night.
Hyde Park Corner to Witham with detour over North Hill in Little Baddow to make the commute 104km on the return leg. 112km total for the day. :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2098 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:19:52 am »
Competion for the longest commute by the Witham contingent hots up. Further to Andy's commute of 51 miles the other morning I rode home last night.
Hyde Park Corner to Witham with detour over North Hill in Little Baddow to make the commute 104km on the return leg. 112km total for the day. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I didn't realise this was a competition ;)
* Oaky scratches head and thinks about a 200km route home with DIY-audax friendly control points...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2099 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:58:54 am »
I've managed two homeward legs in a row of more than twice the usual distance.  45km home tuesday, and 40km last night.  Splendid.

Btw, I am not looking at the Met Office website today, lest I find that I have not gained another superpower, but that there was a tailwind.

Can't be.  Such things do not exist.  Tailwinds, I mean, not superpowers.  Of course they're real ;)
Getting there...