Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504246 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2175 on: 19 August, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
The only time I see 43kph onna bike is downhill & then it has to be steeeep.I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2176 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:03:30 am »
When I ride home this evening I will have clocked up my first full house in ages :thumbsup:

Managed to crick my neck in my sleep last night and it is giving me a headache. Riding in was pretty horrible - every bump (lots!) jarred my neck further.  :'(

Also I have got that thing where you yawn constantly and subsequently have streaming eyes.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2177 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:00:10 am »
I don't get it.  This morning's commute felt light another hard slog, but I set another pb for the ride in (and this time over a longer route).  I'd be happier with my usual times and an easier ride.

Spent some time last night and this morning using the drops (with my earlier set-up they were unusable).  My word, the bike sure does handle funny when riding on the drops!  I think I'll need a fair amount of practice before I attempt anything like descending a decent hill on the drops — at the moment, any little bump sets the bike twitching.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2178 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:08:57 am »
Hit 59km/h briefly this morning. Very briefly. A bit too spinny for my liking on a 68" fixed gear (180rpm).

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2179 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:20:10 am »
My first full house I think ever.
Ride this morning went like this:
My toes were a little chilly from walking across damp grass and I wondered for a bit if too cold for The Sandals Of Comfort would come before or after riding under cover of darkness when socks with sandals becomes ok.
Then the Dingle van passed me on the same piece of road he's passed me (we meet head on half way up/down a hill on a lane) every day for the last 2 weeks & I contemplated if he'd ever twig he's supposed to SLOW down. Which is what I shouted at him, again.
Then on the busy road I got buffeted all over the place by the backdraft of a lorry passing ridiculously close, 6 inches maybe. As I screamed at his disappearing rear I saw the reason for his inconsiderate attitude- he was being overtaken himself. Clearly slowing is for wimps. I then had the opportunity to ponder a) how come I only ever throw up when I haven't eaten anything and b) how unpleasant bile is, and c) that fight or flight reflex is in fact a bit rubbish in my case as now I was too shaky for a battle and pretty bloody powerless on the bike.
Further on, I was still considering my feeble-ness when I was overtaken my Mr Pollard on his cat dump truck. A cheery wave was exchanged and I jumped on for a wee tow for a mile or so, till our routes diverged with another wave.
Next encounter was a lady on a bike walking her dog. She had a stiffly sprung attachment to somewhere around the rear stay which the dog's lead was on. A strange arrangement and I shouted 'morning!' from well behind as I had a highly entertaining cartoon image of the dog chasing after me dragging her along at 3x her comfortable speed.
A little singing along to cheesy pop songs, another cheery wave from a grain moving farmer (I'm famous, locally. That girl from *****'s with the bike), very courteous driving from one of our lorries and into the yard no slower than monday.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2180 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:23:54 am »
Pb today - 18.9mph average.  Tailwind?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2181 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:27:10 am »
Got soaked in last mile of commute which would not have happened if I had not stopped to repair a rare front wheel puncture.

« Reply #2182 on: 20 August, 2010, 09:36:11 am »
^^ I hate it when that happens, especially when I am trying really hard to get home before it pours down.

I overdosed on sugar last night.  I stuffed my face with loads of stuff I shouldn't and even scoffed some low G.I. food inbetween the sugary bouts.  I slept pants as a result and was not surprised with a very high blood sugar reading this morning.

However, whereas I had been feeling the accumulating miles so far this week due to a week or more off the bike, this morning with more 'fuel' on board I flew in to work.  Even with the head wind.

At my second last roundabout, the biggest one I had a near miss with a taxi driver.  It was all slow mo in front of me and I knew he had not seen me so I braked to avoid becoming his bonnet ornament and shouted a very very loud "HEY".  I saw his head turn in slow mo, and his lips mouthed S   -  O  -   R   -  R   -  Y as he drove within inches across my front wheel and line of travel.

« Reply #2183 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:00:49 am »
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of bikes still taking to the road.

And I got wet.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2184 on: 23 August, 2010, 10:54:08 am »
Missed the rain and made good time in, despite being more cautious than usual because of the damp.  Back on the fixie now I've replaced the wheels.  Which have the most day-glo hi-viz rims ever.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

« Reply #2185 on: 23 August, 2010, 11:18:50 am »
Hot and muggy last night so we slept with the bedroom window open. So I was woken several times by torrential rain and howling gales. So I slept through my alarm this morning. When I eventually scraped myself out of bed, I took one look at the weather and decided to put on some extra layers before venturing out on my bike, but of course it was still very muggy despite the wind and rain, so it turned out I was rather overdressed and ended up extremely sweaty. And to top it all, I missed my train so was late to work.

It's the first time I've been out in properly wet conditions since fitting the Kool Stop dual compound brake blocks and first impressions are a bit mixed. They seem to offer absolutely no grip at all at first but then suddenly lots of grip (presumably once they've "ploughed" the water off the rim). That's something I'm going to have to get used to. Quickly.

Unlike Ham, I saw few other bikes out this morning, but the bike store at work was about half full so there are at least a few reasonably hardy souls among my colleagues. As usual, the wet conditions seemed to turn lots of motorists into even bigger morons than usual. Among the most notable incidents, I was nearly taken out by a taxi driver outside Victoria Station who decided to cut across the road from the taxi rank to go into the station itself without so much as a glance behind (probably distracted by the newspaper he was reading at the time  ::-) - I really should have taken his number or something, but couldn't be arsed), and then I was nearly taken out by another taxi driver on Victoria Street who decided to do a U-turn without looking what was coming the other way first.

Note to self: now would be a good time to oil your chain, like you meant to do over the weekend, you idiot.

d.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2186 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:38:01 pm »
I got utterly drenched on my commute this morning. I was riding in the lashing rain for my entire journey. I was quite a lot of fun :)

Going home won't be too fun though, cold soggy shoes :hand:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

citoyen

« Reply #2187 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »
cold soggy shoes :hand:

Stuff them with scrunched-up newspaper. It's very effective.

d.

simonp

« Reply #2188 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:47:41 pm »
It's the first time I've been out in properly wet conditions since fitting the Kool Stop dual compound brake blocks and first impressions are a bit mixed. They seem to offer absolutely no grip at all at first but then suddenly lots of grip (presumably once they've "ploughed" the water off the rim). That's something I'm going to have to get used to. Quickly.

Matches my experiences with them.  I put my first pair on the front the night before the Mille Cymru and found out about this two second lag about two days later on the Pembrokeshire stage when it started raining.  Before that I had the wet compound ones and I don't recall such an extreme lag with them.

« Reply #2189 on: 23 August, 2010, 01:07:46 pm »
I got utterly drenched on my commute this morning. I was riding in the lashing rain for my entire journey. I was quite a lot of fun :)

Going home won't be too fun though, cold soggy shoes :hand:

Hah. First, I searched for my neoprene overshoes that I couldn't fine. Then I had a moment of plan B Genius: pack another pair of shoes. Rain was warm enough to ride in short sleeved top only, rainjacket stayed in the bag.

citoyen

« Reply #2190 on: 23 August, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »
Before that I had the wet compound ones and I don't recall such an extreme lag with them.

Same here. OTOH, the dual compounds don't squeal like a stuck pig in the dry...

d.

fuzzy

« Reply #2191 on: 23 August, 2010, 04:01:32 pm »
I got a bit damp on the way in, though not saoked. I arrived as the night shift were going home. I got more than one incredulous look and comments about my sanity for riding the huge distance of 10 miles to work in a bit of light rain. This from allegedly fit young officers who should be rough, tough, hard to bluff, lean, mean, fighting machines ::-)

« Reply #2192 on: 23 August, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »
This from allegedly fit young officers who should be rough, tough, hard to bluff, lean, mean, fighting machines ::-)

I read that as "rough, tough, buff" - which would have resulted in a definite rise in recruitment to the force from certain sections of YACF!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2193 on: 23 August, 2010, 05:48:26 pm »
This from allegedly fit young officers who should be rough, tough, hard to bluff, lean, mean, fighting machines ::-)

I read that as "rough, tough, buff" - which would have resulted in a definite rise in recruitment to the force from certain sections of YACF!

I thought it was cultures of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis that were 'rough, tough and buff'...

« Reply #2194 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:10:44 pm »
Way home tonight was quite light traffic to start with. One little ducker in a car (ducker and diver, what did you think?) actually managed to keep up with me (or, me with he) all the way from Aldgate to the Bow flyover. However, the police had closed the flyover westbound and the resulting gridlock brought all motorised traffic to a standstill. Made me smile.

I do hope nobody was hurt on the westbound carriageway, but I am somewhat afraid that it must have been a serious accident, and it is not unlikely that a cyclist was involved. That piece of road is currently lethal with roadworks for the 2012 preparation. Each day I ride through expecting to come a cropper with an impatient driver. Don't suppose anyone knows what happened?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2195 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »
You can change too much on a bike at one time.  This weekend, my fixie had
  • New (and much better) wheels
  • New (and much better) tyres which I have inflated to 115psi (the old ones weren't good for more than 85)
  • 48:19 instead of the old 48:18

The handling of the bike is different enough that I am having to relearn the cues I am getting through my feet, knees and arse (the messages being transmitted from the rear wheel and through the seat post are significantly more insistent).  It's a much better ride but a different one.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

fuzzy

« Reply #2196 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
I didn't get passed by any maotor vehicles until more than half my morning commute was over. It was gloriously quiet. Even the A4 had light traffic this morning.

Not only that, but the cool, crisp clear weather made for a really enjoyable experience.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2197 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:13:21 am »
Legs still a bit heavy today.  I was overtaken on London Wall and couldn't even be bothered to try and stay ahead or give chase.

Nice ride across town in the sun though :)

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #2198 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:20:09 am »
If it is a crime to drown a squirrel, shouldn't it be a crime to drown a cyclist?

bl**dy weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #2199 on: 24 August, 2010, 10:31:21 am »
Sunny. Windy. Sore legs. There was a line of grit down the cycle lane due to the road having been swept but not right to the edge. I raced the cars over Elizabeth Way bridge due to the bus lane being closed, hitting 45.9kph despite the sore legs. Fun on 67". :)