Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503964 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2250 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »
Numptie Night.

Numpties in cars with steamed up windows; numpties driving buses six feet from my rear wheel; numpties on bikes drifting all over the road and riding past the stop lines at junctions just so they could get in my way when the lights changed; a numpty in a car texting on her iphone with two young kids in the back not even strapped in.

My God, I was grumpy when  I got home.  :demon:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

fuzzy

« Reply #2251 on: 27 August, 2010, 05:50:06 am »
Commute home last night was by car to the nick nearest my home. I have commuted in already this morning by car again via a sneaky beaky stupid o'clock job.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2252 on: 27 August, 2010, 09:58:22 am »
First day with warm Endura 3/4 lengths

Yes, it's autumn

At least it isn't raining today and I've sorted out my winter bikes rear wheel

« Reply #2253 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:13:56 am »
I'm still not convinced about the scary blue paint on the Cycle Superhighways.
I haven't had cause to slam the brakes on in the wet, but if I have to, I suspect I'm just going to sliiiiiiiiide.

« Reply #2254 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:20:01 am »
Friday legs, and much much quieter on the roads as most of SW London packs up their suitcases of Boden and head down the M4/M5 or A303 to Rock, Daymer Bay, Hayle, etc for the long weekend.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #2255 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:50:31 am »
Heavy legs from cycling 60k + running 5k yesterday.

Pink yacf top.  Seemed to get loads of room.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2256 on: 27 August, 2010, 11:05:08 am »
No commute today!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2257 on: 27 August, 2010, 11:29:06 am »
on the commute last night... my ride home took 10 minutes longer than expected due to the young security guard at Aylesbury station asking squillions of questions about my series 1 Moulton as I left to ride home at about 11.30pm

his parting words were along the lines of: "that's a cool bike man, crazy but cool...."

:)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #2258 on: 27 August, 2010, 11:50:38 am »
First day with warm Endura 3/4 lengths

Yes, it's autumn

At least it isn't raining today and I've sorted out my winter bikes rear wheel

Yep just purchased Endura 3/4 s and going to be fettling this weekend geting the bike ready for winter mode, as these last commutes have for hastened the arrival of Autumn .

« Reply #2259 on: 27 August, 2010, 11:57:10 am »
Yes should have worn leggings, winter bike poised (Cripes its not September yet!) and definately a case of Friday legs too.....At least it was dry on the way in - may not be so on the way home... :-X

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2260 on: 27 August, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »
Not so cold this morning in South Wales.  Still in shorts and short sleeved shirt. In fact I arrived at work bathed in sweat.

On the other hand when I set off for home last night I wished my arms were covered but I got used to it.   A cyclist joined me and spotting Argos on the frame asked if Arthur still made frames. I told him Arthur was retired and this one was made by Gary.  Two days earlier I would have been on red bike which was made by Arthur. Actually new bike has some braze-ons made by Arthur although the frame was made by Gary.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2261 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:22:57 pm »
Today was the first day in two months that I haven't cycled to work.  I'd nearly forgotten what public transport is like.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2262 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »
Today was the first day in two months that I haven't cycled to work.  I'd nearly forgotten what public transport is like.

Are you still sitting in the corner of the office, hugging your knees and gibbering?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2263 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:38:29 pm »
Nearly got taken out by a bus this morning. It was stationary in the queue for the traffic lights in the traffic lane to the right of the bus lane. I was in the centre of the otherwise unoccupied bus lane and slowing for the lights. Just as I got level with the rear of the bus the driver decided to move abruptly and without warning into my path. Fortunately he heard my shout and stopped again.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #2264 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »
A p*n*tu*e  on the way to the station yesterday -  luckily only 200 yards from the station.
So I walked to the station got my train taking the front wheel with me - to fix at work.

Didn't manage to find time at work so thought I'd fix it on the train on the way back.

A split  tyre (caused I think by dropping into potholes I couldn't see on the previous evening's ride home  - due to the rain of biblical proportions ) meant my trusty folding Schwalbe Kojak came out of the Carradice...

It was packed down quite small so I 'massaged' it into shape before fitting - all this whilst sitting in the train door vestibule....

I then realised that a slightly pi**ed bloke  (I was on the 10.30 pm train  - the last train but one with the post pub crowd)  was watching in complete amazement as this black sausage transformed before his eyes a into a tyre... which was ghen fitted along with tube and pumped up....  :thumbsup:

I felt like Paul Daniels - all I was lacking was a glamorous assistant....
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2265 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:17:10 pm »

Are you still sitting in the corner of the office, hugging your knees and gibbering?

It wasn't fun.  OK, so I got to read the paper but that was the only plus.  Also, it took twenty minutes longer.  And getting home will be worse.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2266 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:24:01 pm »
I know what you mean - a broken spoke means I've been on the underground for the last three days (although I was goign to forgo the bike today anyway --- attending some leavign drinks tonight).

Being able to read my book was the only plus.

I will replace the spoke this weekend.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2267 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »
Have neither of you signed up to the Boris Bike scheme? If not, what are you waiting for - do it now! Say goodbye to tube misery forever!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2268 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »

It wasn't fun.  OK, so I got to read the paper but that was the only plus.  Also, it took twenty minutes longer.  And getting home will be worse.

My problem is that my commute by train is generally nicer than my commute by bike.

A nice 10 minute walk to the station. 10 trains an hour. 18 minute journey time. Nice clean relatively new trains, rarely late (10 trains an hour means you don't care anyway). A seat most days (who cares for 18 minutes anyway). I can read the paper or a book instead of spending large portions of my concentration trying to ensure no knobhead motorists manage to kill me. A nice 10 minute walk the other end (past some useful shops in Waterloo station). All in all, same duration (if I take into account the necessary shower either end) and much less hassle. No tickets to worry about, SWT trains take Oyster pre-pay.

However, today is the 10th bike commuting day in a row, which I'm much happier about. The ~120km a week is doing me (especially by fitness and gut) good.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2269 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
Have neither of you signed up to the Boris Bike scheme? If not, what are you waiting for - do it now! Say goodbye to tube misery forever!

It doesn't work for everyone, if I use public transport, it's the Tube between South Ken and Wimbledon, and Boris Bikes don't go anywhere near as far out as Wimbledon, the most south-westerly ones are Olympia and Earls Court.

I Tubed & Tramed it in today, since I've ended up with utterly soaking shoes for the last two days, and I need them to be dryish for the FNRttC tonight.  They would have got fairly wet cycling in, but it seems to have dried out now. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

simonp

« Reply #2270 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:51:13 pm »
It must be nice having worthwhile public transport.

3 minute walk to bus stop.

Up to 10 (hah) minute wait for every-10-minutes (hah) bus.

50 minutes transit time via everywhere to Kings Hedges Rd.

3 minute walk to work.

This is for a journey that I've cycled in as little as 17 minutes moving time!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2271 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:53:55 pm »
It doesn't work for everyone, if I use public transport, it's the Tube between South Ken and Wimbledon, and Boris Bikes don't go anywhere near as far out as Wimbledon, the most south-westerly ones are Olympia and Earls Court.

True, but I was under the impression that Oaky has to get a train into central London then tube the rest of the way, so I think it would work for him.

I Tubed & Tramed it in today, since I've ended up with utterly soaking shoes for the last two days, and I need them to be dryish for the FNRttC tonight.

FNRttC is tonight? Damn, I was planning to sign up for this one* and completely forgot. It'll be too late to put my name down now, won't it? Not sure I'm adequately prepared for an overnight ride anyway.

d.

*this is the Whitstable one, isn't it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2272 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:59:01 pm »

True, but I was under the impression that Oaky has to get a train into central London then tube the rest of the way, so I think it would work for him.

Yes - it would have worked for me, had I been registered - I bike to the train in Witham, then train to Lpoo St. then have to get to Kingsway.  I usually use a folder so do that by bike too, but have been back onm the tube this week.  :(

Although on both wednesday and thursday mornings I noticed the nearest docking station to our office, the one on Kingsway itself, was full when I walked past. 
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2273 on: 27 August, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »

d.

I have two functional bikes, that wasn't the issue.  And if I didn't, the nearest borisbike stand is at least 15 minutes away.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2274 on: 27 August, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »
On the way home tonight I was strolling across Albert Bridge* admiring the scenery, when a women wobbled past riding her bicycle. A *very* expensively dressed women, I merely inquired of her why if walking was too difficult and was treated to a tirade beginning with "it's none of your business", increasing in volume and pitch. When she got to the part about "Why don't you fix your own problems" another pedestrian asked her a question. "Do you know why I've stopped you madam?"

Karma!

* For non-Londoners, Albert Bridge is closed to vehicles for 18 months to perform urgent repairs caused by overweight vehicles (those people who ignore the 2 ton limit), only one (narrow) footpath is open and there are signs at both ends telling cyclists to dismount and walk.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!