Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503265 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2900 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:52:59 pm »
That's ridiculous.

Are you going to chase up the company and Road Safe London?

I'll probably email a the company, and I was thinking of emailing the Local Borough as well, which I think for the majority of the vehicle was Lambeth (it's pretty much on the line between Wandsworth and Lambeth).  I hadn't come across Road Safe London before, but it's probably also worth filling in the form on their site as well, although I'm unsure whether this would come under "Crime linked to commercial vehicles" or more likely "An other road related information".

Most probably, and most probably someone at the council, as it is illegal to park across a dropped kerb ...

I don't know if a dropped kerb like this is illegal to park in front of, but in this case I'm pretty sure he was also parked on a Double Yellow line, but I'll check this and what the parking signage says on the way home tonight, before email/form filling in.  As far as I know the "Keep Clear" marking itself has no legal authority, and can be ignored by drivers (although I'll be happy to be corrected on this if it's otherwise).
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2901 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:58:45 pm »
I file most things on RSL as 'nuisance driving'.  More than a nuisance; most of what I report I would say was at least careless.

Nevertheless, this is an offence, and they deserve to get a sharp letter from the bizzies (which is probably the most they ever do).

I think the coach is in Lambeth.  The boundary runs up to the west of the cycle path, and diverts to split Cedars Road in half down the middle.
Getting there...

« Reply #2902 on: 12 October, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »
I think the coach is in Lambeth.  The boundary runs up to the west of the cycle path, and diverts to split Cedars Road in half down the middle.

Yes, I think the boundary is actually up the centre of the footpath (which pre-dates the cycle path), and which is to the West of the cycle path.  Certainly more of the coach (and the front) is in Lambeth than Wandsworth.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2903 on: 12 October, 2010, 06:51:07 pm »
That's ridiculous.

Are you going to chase up the company and Road Safe London?

I'll probably email a the company, and I was thinking of emailing the Local Borough as well, which I think for the majority of the vehicle was Lambeth (it's pretty much on the line between Wandsworth and Lambeth).  I hadn't come across Road Safe London before, but it's probably also worth filling in the form on their site as well, although I'm unsure whether this would come under "Crime linked to commercial vehicles" or more likely "An other road related information".

Most probably, and most probably someone at the council, as it is illegal to park across a dropped kerb ...

I don't know if a dropped kerb like this is illegal to park in front of, but in this case I'm pretty sure he was also parked on a Double Yellow line, but I'll check this and what the parking signage says on the way home tonight, before email/form filling in.  As far as I know the "Keep Clear" marking itself has no legal authority, and can be ignored by drivers (although I'll be happy to be corrected on this if it's otherwise).

Your photo clearly shows the coach parked on double yellow lines.

simonp

« Reply #2904 on: 12 October, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
I left work at just after 6 instead of 7. Grrrrr!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2905 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »
I was poorly enough to require the services of the local omnibus companies to get to work today.  I wouldn't have gone to work at all, but I was needed to demonstrate our Sub-Meson Brain/Finite Probability Generator to the customer's Project Engineers.  Straight home afterwards, again by buses.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2906 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:22:57 pm »
My rear tyre started to feel soft about half a mile from the station, and had about five minutes to get my train, so I had to keep riding. By the time I reached the station, it was completely flat. I was balancing on the handlebars to shift my weight as far forward as possible but it's hard to ride like that on fixed. Had I been further away from the station when it happened, I would have stopped for a roadside repair and got a later train, but having made good time up to that point, I was determined not to miss the earlier one.

I made it. Just. Did the necessary repair on the train.

I think these tyres have had it. I just hope the new tyres I have on order come through pretty darn soon.

Gah!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2907 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »
My SE to NW London commute seems to run against the grain.  SW to NE, the few times I've been on such a route, has nice long stretches but my route is too bitty and I seldom get above 28mph.  I suppose I could get up earlier and beat the worst of the traffic, but I spend too long at work as it is.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2908 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:36:34 pm »
I made sparks!

We'd stopped off to help a friend who'd had a p*nct*re.  I didn't stow my pump properly, so, when I was heading home at 32kph, the hose came loose, and was in danger of catching my left foot/crank etc.  As I tried to clear it away, I drifted to the gutter, and my pedal struck twice.  Apparently, it was quite interesting from behind. 

Fortunately, the kerb was only just higher than my pedal's bottom position, so I just got a couple of shoves before I could break free.
Getting there...

« Reply #2909 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »
My SE to NW London commute seems to run against the grain.  SW to NE, the few times I've been on such a route, has nice long stretches but my route is too bitty and I seldom get above 28mph.  I suppose I could get up earlier and beat the worst of the traffic, but I spend too long at work as it is.

Another cross-Londoner..... we should wave as we pass  ;D

I thought I was one of a very small minority. Actually, we probably are.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2910 on: 12 October, 2010, 11:20:40 pm »
The commute of the beast: 66.6km.  :demon:  :o

The usual amount of selfish, inconsiderate driving, and plenty of wind on the long trip home, but a good stretch of the legs.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2911 on: 13 October, 2010, 07:41:35 am »
I seldom get above 28mph.
Pesky drivers keeping below their speed limit, holding you up, eh?
Not especially helpful or mature

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2912 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:20:01 am »

Does SW to E London count?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2913 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:24:02 am »
Fast commute this morning, though it didn't feel like it.

There were a couple of strong riders I could match myself against.  Sadly, one of them spoiled it by jumping a red light >:(  but I did catch them back :thumbsup:

I hope that the road bike riders I passed noticed my agricultural-looking geeky propstand, for extra ego-bruising ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2914 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:37:42 am »
I seldom get above 28mph.
Pesky drivers keeping below their speed limit, holding you up, eh?

SW to central (well, Waterloo) isn't too bad, I get quite a few long stretches between lights; Chelsea Embankment is good, I can usually hit 30mph+ along there (and still get overtaken by motons).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2915 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
Saw a 6 person "tandem" going the other way in Taunton
I should have chased and got a photo, it was mad

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2916 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:12:36 am »
There was something in one of the mags about a group doing the end-to-end (I think LEJOG) on a six-seater Santana.  Could have been them.
Getting there...

« Reply #2917 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:27:55 am »

I think it depends how far you go on each side. If the middle of your journey is bounded by, say, Aldgate to Shepherds Bush then yes. My midpoint (13 miles) is Notting Hill Gate.

rdaviesb

« Reply #2918 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:40:48 am »
There was something in one of the mags about a group doing the end-to-end (I think LEJOG) on a six-seater Santana.  Could have been them.

Probably. JD's have lent them a hex.

« Reply #2919 on: 13 October, 2010, 11:00:12 am »
Saw a 6 person "tandem" going the other way in Taunton

"tandem" need not be in quotes.

It refers to the seating arrangement (all in a line behind one another) rather than the number of seats/riders.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2920 on: 13 October, 2010, 11:13:17 am »

874-mile charity ride for Derby’s six-seater bike team  « End to End cycle (JOGLE)

They were going in the jogle direction, it's got to be them, how many six person tandems are there!!??

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2921 on: 13 October, 2010, 11:31:27 am »
Colleague this morning.
"I saw you this morning.  You overtook my bus"
*Pause*
"Are you allowed to do that?"

::-) :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2922 on: 13 October, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »

I think it depends how far you go on each side. If the middle of your journey is bounded by, say, Aldgate to Shepherds Bush then yes. My midpoint (13 miles) is Notting Hill Gate.

Then I'm officially an 'Cross Londoner'  :smug:(Wimbledon to Canary Wharf)

« Reply #2923 on: 13 October, 2010, 12:26:08 pm »
Hardly any wind (a requirement, given my commute heads west, then south east, then north) and what there was was in a favourable direction (the south-easternly section of my commute is double the length of the other two stretches). Did the commute in just under an hour, averaging 28.9kph, which is the best I've done since it got colder.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2924 on: 13 October, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »

Then I'm officially an 'Cross Londoner'  :smug:(Wimbledon to Canary Wharf)

Me too - Lewisham to Clapham.