Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2504142 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4950 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
You really do lack any empathy or understanding, don't you.

He does, but don't let it bother you.  Use the ignore feature!

profile, "ignore user options" in the box type Alouicious and click "change profile"

« Reply #4951 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:22:15 am »
The real world is exactly that, not HypothetiCal.  HW is responding to what actually happened.  That there was no contact is a blessing but it is similar to a complete stranger swinging a punch at you but just happening to miss.  Shock ensues - it is a body's natural reaction, surely?  Hugs and commiserations are in order, not ill-timed "education", which should be for the cab-driver, anyway.

Not just that, but it sounds to me like h_w did everything by the book in that situation, despite Alouicidiot's insinuations to the contrary.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #4952 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:26:06 am »
The real world is exactly that, not HypothetiCal.  HW is responding to what actually happened.  That there was no contact is a blessing but it is similar to a complete stranger swinging a punch at you but just happening to miss.  Shock ensues - it is a body's natural reaction, surely?  Hugs and commiserations are in order, not ill-timed "education", which should be for the cab-driver, anyway.

Not just that, but it sounds to me like h_w did everything by the book in that situation, despite Alouicidiot's insinuations to the contrary.

Certainly, that's how I saw it, too.

Alouicious

« Reply #4953 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:32:32 am »
Oh...

I appologise.

Trucks, vans and cabbies encroaching on a cyclist's roadspace is one of those nasty realities we have to put up with.

You did right by stopping, but don't let it bother you. You will no doubt see it again many times. Just drop back, give him the finger and carry on.

Many appologies.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4954 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:33:38 am »
Sounds awful, HW, and I hope you're feeling a bit better now.  That's a horrible bit of road because drivers tend to accelerate in the excitement of having escaped the Cannon Street Funnel of Death (from London Bridge to Queen Street).  Even so, there's no excuse for dangerous driving of the sort you describe (and, in my experience, it's unusual for a London cabbie to do that).  Being charitable, it's probably a lack of concentration rather than any deliberate act of aggression, which i think even the most deranged cabbie would be unlikely to try with passengers in the back.  I hope they didn't tip him.

I hope it hasbn't bashed your confidence for the ride hime but if it has, I work around there and will be cycling back to Lewisham tonight about 6, so let me know if you'd like some company on the route.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #4955 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:36:48 am »
Hugs to h_w and, Alouicious, just sod off.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #4956 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:37:51 am »
You really do lack any empathy or understanding, don't you.

He does, but don't let it bother you.  Use the ignore feature!

profile, "ignore user options" in the box type Alouicious and click "change profile"

Usually with attention seekers the best way to deal with them is to try to understand what drives their behavior (lack of self worth, over-confidence/arrogance, narcissism etc) and then work towards helping them. However, I don't have the time for a bit of cod-psychological, interweb investigation today, so I'll just wish h_w all the best...

« Reply #4957 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
Take care H_W, hope you have recovered your composure. Sod the diluted stuff I think you should award yourself a double brandy after an incident like that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4958 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:55:36 am »
Thanks guys for the positive messages, I feel much better for it, the chocolate croissant and latte has also settled me.

mrcharly - I cannot remember if there were any railings, possibly to my left as I was cycling through the junction.

My manager calmed me down and gave me some practical advice. I have registered a complaint with the PCO. I am also going to establish if there is any CCTV footage. It is a busy junction so I would imagine there is. My husband is taking me into town on Saturday so we can reccie out the cameras.

It's 2 hours after the incident and I am still shaking  :-[

Alouicious = FAIL

Redlight, thanks so much for the offer to ride back with me, I am finishing work at 7p.m. and I don't want to keep you waiting!

« Reply #4959 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:57:22 am »
Spent the morning dodging toddlers and doggies on Tooting Common, intent upon throwing themselves into my path. Both appear to have a deathwish lately.

Oh how true that is at the moment! What is it with dog owners on Tooting Bec?

« Reply #4960 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »
Oh...

I appologise.

Trucks, vans and cabbies encroaching on a cyclist's roadspace is one of those nasty realities we have to put up with.

You did right by stopping, but don't let it bother you. You will no doubt see it again many times. Just drop back, give him the finger and carry on.

Many appologies.

Al, it's good to apologise.  Maybe take a bit more time?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4961 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »
Redlight, thanks so much for the offer to ride back with me, I am finishing work at 7p.m. and I don't want to keep you waiting!

OK, so long as you're OK.  I'd be happy to stay on a bit later (I don't work set hours) if you're nervous, but I would prefer to get home in time to do bedtime stories  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #4962 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:44:19 pm »
You know what to do her_welshness.  Move back to Swansea where the cabbies are all angels.

Lovely commute this morning.  It was cold down the hill at the start but warm enough when the blood had started pumping a bit, so I extended the commute by a couple of miles and ended up having to queue for the showers.  There are only two and the fair-weather cyclists chose today to start their commuting.  The more the merrier - I'll just have to try and cycle faster.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4963 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »

OK, so long as you're OK.  I'd be happy to stay on a bit later (I don't work set hours) if you're nervous, but I would prefer to get home in time to do bedtime stories  :)

Ahh thats very kind of your Redlight, but I think I will be fine  :-* After 7p.m. it tends to be more relaxing  ;D

I have to say that the junction in the opposite direction is nearly as bad (going from St Paul's Churchyard onto Cannon Street) you have to assertively hold the road otherwise the cabbies are happy to ping you off to the left  :demon:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4964 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »
You know what to do her_welshness.  Move back to Swansea where the cabbies are all angels.

I would agree with that, they all seem to be 'cowing lush'  ;D

« Reply #4965 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:14:55 pm »
I think you must mean "cowin' lush".  Your accent must have changed what with living in That London.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4966 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »
5th Golden of cycling.

"Always get out of the way of a vehicle travelling directly toward you".

If his centre of gravity is getting closer to your centre of gravity, that means he's travelling directly toward you.

Get out of the way! Even if it means throwing out an anchor.

There's no point ending up 'pavement mincemeat' just to prove something. The only thing you will prove is your arms and legs break easier than a car's fender.

As a matter of fact, the taxi was approaching you from the right, so you should have given way to him.

Who let him get into that position?

Congratulations - you are the first person EVER to find their way onto my ignore list.

« Reply #4967 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
Extreme sympathy to h_w for a horrible experience.  I think you did exactly the right thing in (a) informing cabbie and his customers of the danger as loudly as possible, (b) avoiding a collision, and (c) stopping to collect yourself before continuing your journey.  Shame not to get the plate, but your here and unharmed.

On a more positive note, I fixed someone's snapped chain in true Bicycle Repair Man style, but with the modern twist of latex gloves and compact link removing tool.  Bit late for work, but nothing compared to how late he'd have been if he'd have done what he intended: walk to the nearest bike shop (8am, Colliers Wood).

More generally, has anyone else noticed sociability blossoming with the Spring.  Through the Winter I've been through weeks at a time without exchanging a word with a soul.  In the last week I've been spoken to (they started it) by a lady on a Pederson, man on a 'bent, man with 100" single speed, three people asking about my 'guards (they are very exotic), another lady asking about Carradice, and four or five regulars who I haven't seen for a while.  Cool!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4968 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:29:24 pm »
I think you must mean "cowin' lush".  Your accent must have changed what with living in That London.

Sorry Nuncio  :-[ The accent has changed, but I can assure you that I come from real glam parts of Swansea, like Penlan and Blaen-y-maes.

« Reply #4969 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »
The problem is that drivers, and the GBP in general (including the strangely-spelled Alouicious) have absolutely no concept of how frightening and upsetting incidents such as her_welshness' are.

This sort of thing is enough to put the timid off cycling and should be dealt with severely by the authorities. Not that it will be.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #4970 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »

More generally, has anyone else noticed sociability blossoming with the Spring.  Through the Winter I've been through weeks at a time without exchanging a word with a soul.  In the last week I've been spoken to (they started it) by a lady on a Pederson, man on a 'bent, man with 100" single speed, three people asking about my 'guards (they are very exotic), another lady asking about Carradice, and four or five regulars who I haven't seen for a while.  Cool!

*Shot in the dark*

Do you have wooden mudguards and commute along CS7?

« Reply #4971 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »

*Shot in the dark*

A direct hit!  I do!  They're classy zebra wood, made in Oregon.  Fixed to my very shiny Cliff Shrubb.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4972 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »
More generally, has anyone else noticed sociability blossoming with the Spring.  Through the Winter I've been through weeks at a time without exchanging a word with a soul.  In the last week I've been spoken to (they started it) by a lady on a Pederson, man on a 'bent, man with 100" single speed, three people asking about my 'guards (they are very exotic), another lady asking about Carradice, and four or five regulars who I haven't seen for a while.  Cool!

There's this nice man on a Cliff Shrubb occasionally talks to me. ;D

And a guy on a Charge Plug who says hi as he zooms past... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #4973 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

*Shot in the dark*

A direct hit!  I do!  They're classy zebra wood, made in Oregon.  Fixed to my very shiny Cliff Shrubb.

I thought so! We've chatted in the past. I'm the tall, bald chap on the Charge Plug with a Carradice SQR bag and torch/camera on my stem. You always look dapper and your bike/accessories are eye-catching...

« Reply #4974 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »
And a guy on a Charge Plug who says hi as he zooms past... ;)

Guy with the shaved head and Carradice saddlebag?  You and he share the recognising-bikes-but-not-people syndrome.  He ignores me when I'm on my Brompton, but is very civil when I'm riding my regular commuter.