Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503054 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5475 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:22:54 pm »
:)
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #5476 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:41:18 pm »
My unCommute was rudely interrupted by 500m of swim, & spa.  Hardship.

« Reply #5477 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »
At least 5 drivers on the phone tonight, will see the vid tomorrow and road safe them.  One driver who passed me sort of OK, but an upright cyclist much too close.  Recumbent FTW again.  Lovely commute otherwise, apart from my stupid mistake of taking short finger gloves for the 5 degree ride home.  Sweet agony...
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #5478 on: 04 May, 2011, 07:40:58 am »
Veolia: where from this name she come?

She's one of the 9 modern muses, along with

Accenture,
   Aviva,
   Corus,
   Diageo,
   Emis,
   Lenovo,
   Prius,

and

Qinetiq

Bravo!  ;D
Not especially helpful or mature

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5479 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:33:50 am »
I am reminded of an episode of Kath and Kim.

"Saw a great name for a baby girl in the hospital, Mum!"

"What was that?"

"Enema!"

« Reply #5480 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:34:40 am »
I tandemed No2Daughter down to the bus.

Am now learning that 'total rest' should actually mean 'total rest' and not just 'don't ride like you usually would'.

Good morning Ibuprofen.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5481 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:41:29 am »
I tandemed No2Daughter down to the bus.

Am now learning that 'total rest' should actually mean 'total rest' and not just 'don't ride like you usually would'.

Good morning Ibuprofen.

Oh good lord, woman - anybody would think you liked me nagging you!

Hope the vitamin I helps, and that it feels better soon.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5482 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
Mmmm, very fast commute in this morning, despite not heading off till after 8.  Lovely commuting weather at the moment.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #5483 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
To the couple of SCRs who see a fat old git kitted in Assos as a challenge. I is a fat old git, and I is a sub-optimal fat old git too. Been 3 months off my bike with one foot and one ankle having to be somewhat cosseted. As a result I am not either racing or riding fast, probably 60-70% of normal, at best. I am wearing my bib shorts because my nooo pompetamine is more comfortable that way than with baggies. The Assos top just happened in rotation.

And you had to work bloody hard to drop me, din'cha?

« Reply #5484 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:32:06 am »
Ah, I forgot about this moment, made me feel good for miles afterwards:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0CRUpmypYk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/s0CRUpmypYk&rel=1</a>

Thank yous and consideration are worth so much on the road!!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5485 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:49:47 am »
Ridiculous amounts of motor traffic on the roads this morning! :o

Made progress very slow.  :(

But the ride was livened up by an idiot in a pickup.  As I came round the Mitcham Common RAB to turn right onto the cycle lane, the idiot zoomed down off the hump-backed bridge and stopped well over the line.  I looked him in the eye to determine if he was going to keep going.  He wasn't, but, as I passed, he sounded his horn.  I shouldn't have laughed.  I really shouldn't.  And I really really shouldn't have laughed so hard I had to stop just off the RAB and turn round to get another look.  It meant he swore at me and gesticulated.  But the horn attached to this big, butch example of motorised machismo happened to sound like that of a clown car.  Sad sad sad. ;D
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #5486 on: 04 May, 2011, 10:58:37 am »
Tail wind + BrevetCymru strengthened legs = tried for PB time.

Failed, probably due to still having a 67" gear on, and the motor traffic getting in the way.  18'22; PB is 17'05 IIRC.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5487 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:27:45 am »
You'll report that driver, right?
To Lambeth, Veolia and Roadsafe, you betcha! ;D

Just mid-grink ;)

Reported to Met via Roadsafe and to Lambeth Council.  Unsurprisingly, it is hard to get a complaints contact for Veolia, but have left a telephone message with a senior manager.  Letter to them drafted and ready to roll as soon as I get an address.

Sadly, the Veolia contract review has been postponed. :(

Didn't get a call back from Veolia >:(

However, I did try a different route through, and got to speak to a good man in the Fleet Dept to give the information.  He has apologised and promised to follow it up.  Top marks for customer service there.

Forcing me to Google again has actually adversely affected Veolia's position wrt our contract, since it threw up the fact that they are working with the Israeli Govt & military in the West Bank to sequester water resources.  In addition, they are building the Jerusalem Light railway, which has links to illegal settlements.  This in itself is illegal activity, and I certainly don't approve.

Boycott Israeli Goods campaign   Veolia - Boycott Israeli Goods campaign
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5488 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:33:35 am »
Accompanied for a hundred yards or so on this morning's (frosty) ride by a lesser spotted woodpecker.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Tim

« Reply #5489 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:03:12 pm »
6½ miles of commuting and I didn't get a single comment from a bystander, despite the fact that I was riding the tandem solo!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5490 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:08:22 pm »
6½ miles of commuting and I didn't get a single comment from a bystander, despite the fact that I was riding the tandem solo!

One of my colleagues has done that quite regularly in the past.  Sometimes he would pick up another colleague en route.  Peds and drivers seem uninterested.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5491 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:10:18 pm »
When we tandem together, we attract lots of comments.  I've ridden it solo miles on several occasions (including the school run and a long section of NCN Route 66) and not got one word. ???
Getting there...

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #5492 on: 04 May, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »
I rode into work today for the first time with my new bike pump attached.

Now I can take over the world.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5493 on: 04 May, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
When we tandem together, we attract lots of comments.  I've ridden it solo miles on several occasions (including the school run and a long section of NCN Route 66) and not got one word. ???

It's the Butterfly Effect ;)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5494 on: 04 May, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »
The rest are just adman PR focusgroup-tested international bollox.

True.  But looking into the history of Veolia, it seems they sprung from a company called Compagnie Générale des Eaux, founded by imperial decree of Naploeon III. Which presses my historical buttons.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5495 on: 04 May, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »
Accompanied for a hundred yards or so on this morning's (frosty) ride by a lesser spotted woodpecker.
If it was a lesser as opposed to a greater you were very lucky!  (They're very rare, about the size of a sparrow and tend to live in the tops of trees) But whatever sort of woodpecker it was that's a lovely experience.  It's happened to me with green woodpeckers a couple of times

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5496 on: 04 May, 2011, 07:36:40 pm »
The rest are just adman PR focusgroup-tested international bollox.

True.  But looking into the history of Veolia, it seems they sprung from a company called Compagnie Générale des Eaux, founded by imperial decree of Naploeon III. Which presses my historical buttons.

Via being the utterly hopeless and universally hated Connex.
Getting there...

« Reply #5497 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:03:27 pm »
I saw a dead Great Tit on the way home.  :'(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5498 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:27:08 am »
Had a lovely fast ride.  Guess there was a tailwind.  Big pack of cyclists riding today, too, which was fab.  I was getting smartly away from the lights and up to a good cruising speed.  At one point, though, I slowed down to 33kph, and a number of riders passed me!  It's getting faster out there, people. :o

But the ride was punctuated by the most appalling general driving standards.  I saw and heard the aftermath of a lorry/car smash before I even got to the polling station.  From the damage and the position, I guess there were at least two idiots involved.  A bus cut right across the lane not quite in front of me into a bus stop, which was a bit hairy.  A truck tried to intimidate a cyclist out of the way with his horn.  And no end of drivers unable to stop at lines or lights of some kind or other.  Unbelievable queues caused by selfish and ignorant drivers. ::-)

Although in a lot of places there was no safe way past, so I had to wait in line, there were other jams where the cyclists managed to pick our way through.

What I don't understand is how, if all these commuters have got on their bikes, where are all the extra drivers coming from?  We must be running out of people to sit eating their breakfast, doing their make up, talking on the phone and leaning out of the window to shout random abuse.  Surely not every cyclist used to be a bus or tube passenger - they must be clearing some road space, yet it is being rapidly filled and more... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #5499 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:39:34 am »
I saw a dead Great Tit on the way home.  :'(

And when you got home you saw a live one in the bathroom?   ;D