Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814205 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #925 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:15:19 am »
Not a long ride yesterday, but i feel a significant one.  A triangle on top of the back of Skipton Moor above Silsden out & back from the campsite.  It seems we may have solved the issue of Butterfly's position on the back of the Super Galaxy*, and we went really well, the circuit finished all too early. 

We only didn't go further because, once you start to drop into either Airedale or Wharfedale, there's grunty climbing back, and, besides, we needed to get going to get home. 

*  More reports on that later, but I was shocked to find that the stoker cockpit on the Dawes is about 3" shorter than on a Santana! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #926 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:55:18 am »

*  More reports on that later, but I was shocked to find that the stoker cockpit on the Dawes is about 3" shorter than on a Santana! :o

It's the Americans started the trend for very long tandems. Personally I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.

alan

« Reply #927 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:40:52 pm »

We bought our Dawes tandem specifically because the rear top tube is shorter than all the other machines available to us at the time:excepting for custom built which was dismissed given the high cost & reservations that we would be long term/regular tandemists

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #928 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »
Fair comment, and I think that a lot of rear cockpits are too long, but Butterfly was cramped, poor love. :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #929 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:41:18 pm »
View this morning 0600 from the Avon Bridge with the river at high tide, 
looking towards  the village of Pill on the right and Bristol in the far distance.

annie

« Reply #930 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:28:19 pm »
Yes, to Lavenham for lunch with a friend - 33 miles out, the long and hilly way round and 18 very fast miles on the way back, well in 55 minutes so quick for me, now about to collapse in a small heap.

Edit: Had a little incident where I ended up on the verge after 3 large HGV's came past far too close and far too fast, the effect on my small frame was quite spectacular, bloody barstewards.

Another incident involved a numpty guy on a MTB on the cycle lane going up into Needham Market, I had come down the hill and was riding at about 25mph when he casually came off the cycle lane and straight out in front of me, without looking I hasten to add.  I had anticipated this and so was able to perform a quick in and outie whilst calling him a stupid ........

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #931 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:43:48 pm »
11 sweaty miles of commuting.

On my return, a little later than normal, a large queue of traffic had built up going in the opposite direction. This being a narrow road, and with me in the secondary position, the motorist immediately behind me quite rightly didn't want to overtake so I had about half a mile of peaceful cycling where normally I am overtaken a fair bit. I quite enjoyed that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #932 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:31:07 pm »
3.4 miles school run with the tandem and trailer to collect my daughter this afternoon in the sunshine.  It never ceases to cheer us up seeing the admiring glances from all the nice people cooking in their parked 4x4's as I stand in the breeze.

Did a hilly 25 into a headwind on Saturday (a rare "long" ride for me) on the Pinarello.  It felt great to do some miles but clearly 3.4m commutes don't make good base training...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #933 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:00:11 am »
Our normal loop in another personal best on the tandem - 16.59 miles in 1h 21m 29s - 12.2mph! A lovely warm sunny day. I wish I had taken my cossie because the tide was coming in.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #934 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:02:22 am »
Well done, the Wows! :)
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #935 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »
20 miles, easy on the way out but far too fast on the way home, busy dual carriageways with numpty drivers with candyfloss for brains.

The bike is poorly, I will be stripping it down tomorrow. 

« Reply #936 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
Just work, 9.5 miles but the first time on Fixed since before my crash in October

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #937 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:05:24 am »
The normal loop, but an abnormal time: 16.49 miles in 58m 53s! :o

I decided to have a crack on the Mercian this morning. It was a mild, calm day, both sets of traffic lights were in my favour and I pushed as hard as I could all the way round. I think that's got to be my fastest ride ever.

This losing weight mallarkey has a lot to recommend it. I should have done it years ago. :thumbsup:

« Reply #938 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:10:39 am »
I haven't been out at all so far this month.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #939 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
Yes, and it rained......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #940 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:51:58 pm »
no, i didnt get back from work in time.

well I did, but I got back and checked my email and then had to spend the next 2 hours sorting out muppets.

bah.   >:(

« Reply #941 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:44:57 pm »
Yes this evening for about 8-10 hills cross country on the mountainbike.  Hilarious descent off the Chilterns, and rather too many nettles for comfort.

I utterly rediscovered why I love this so much.  Any if was sunny.

Fantastic ;D

« Reply #942 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:45:08 pm »
No, as I'm in Zurich and worked from 0800 up until half an hour ago... Meh :(

« Reply #943 on: 03 July, 2008, 03:43:29 pm »
70 km ride with the Bristol Thursday Old Time Cyclists, over the Severn Bridge to the Carpenters Arms in Shirenewton, only rain whilst we were in the pub  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #944 on: 03 July, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »
A short ride involving a school a pub and a Fatters. 8 miles or so at a low speed.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #945 on: 03 July, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
A short ride involving a school a pub and a Fatters. 8 miles or so at a low speed.
And he beat me home!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

CathH

« Reply #946 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:09:06 am »
The usual commute yesterday.  Dodged the rain in the morning but BOY, did I catch it on the way home!  It was just fantastic, the rain was pouring down and the road turned into a river!  People were driving very slowly and giving me a very wide berth.  I was giggling when it got to the point where I had to shake my head lots to get the water out of my eyes.  I could have done with my swimming goggles.  Only had about 3 miles to go when the rain struck so didn't get too cold which was good. 

My panniers are great, everything in them was bone dry even after all that (they are Altura).

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #947 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:44:07 pm »
Mrs. J. and myself ventured over and through the Downs today. Hampshire was visited as was Rowlands Castle where sarnies and coffee were quaffed. Sussex looking very nice, seeing as you asked...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

border-rider

« Reply #948 on: 04 July, 2008, 05:05:12 pm »
Yesterday my mate Andy and I went over the Gospel Pass to Hay for lunch, and then back down over a parallel  - but still hilly - road to drop down to the top of the Monnow Valley.  Then home via tiny, lumpy lanes :)

We got a bit damp in the mountains. 

The whole ride wasn't much over 50 miles, but it was quite demanding.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #949 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »
Mrs. J. and myself ventured over and through the Downs today. Hampshire was visited as was Rowlands Castle where sarnies and coffee were quaffed. Sussex looking very nice, seeing as you asked...
Oh you lucky thing- I am jealous- my trip to work through the delights of Forest Hill and Sydenham  past the gasworks and Sainsburys Superstore doesn't have quite the same poetic ring to it.  I did take a ride up to Shaftesbury Avenue after work to pick up some cranks and stuff from Jakob and took a spin round regents Park afterwards before flying home over Waterloo Bridge and the Elephant after.  That was a bit good.