Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177341 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Derbyshire
« Reply #575 on: 19 August, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
  Any takers in Loughborough or Leicester who want to progress the baton towards That London?

Surely it should be headed towards Scotland ?

It came up through the West Country and then we whizzed it up the Borders following the standard LEJOG general direction.  If we'd wanted a diversion it could have gone to Brest :(
I thought the idea was for it to pass through the grubby hands of as many YACFers as possible.  Detours, for the purposes of CAIK and PUB, are par for the course.  And skipping London bypasses a huge cadre of potential meets.

Anyway, the baton is chez moi at the mo.  I'll take it to anywhere that I can off-load it within a 100 (or so) mile radius of Derby.  Photos of the handover, in the shadow of Ratcliffe-on-Very-Painful Power Station, will appear eventually.  Also some bridges over the Trent.

One slightly eep-inducing idea was to ride to Peterborough, and thence to Mildenhall, next weekend.  But that's not only a bit far, but I'd need some assurance that there was someone to pass the baton on to, who was riding on home (rather than using cars or trains).
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Derby
« Reply #576 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »
Okay, so after Zev carrying the baton to the vet and back (no photos of the handovers due to lack of opposable thumbs):

I finally got a workable plan to pass it on...

One does not simply ride into Mordor!

First stop was up the hill from my house, to make the obvious comparison with Old Joe:

This one's small...

...and this one's far away.

That done, I bravely rode to Mordor to meet gerwinium.  This involved a lot of standing around inhaling noxious fumes, while he attempted to escape from the bowels of Mt Doom:

Eventually he surfaced, and we decided to do a handover there, as Mordor Central is one of Birmingham's most important, and aesthetically pleasing, landmarks:

We then rode at best speed away from all the concrete, which eventually found us in Kegworth, Leicestershire.  Paths lead north, south east and west.  There was a rower40 there.

We went east, in search of a suitable landmark in front of which to do a handover...

What that photo doesn't show is the enormous dungheap we bravely stood and faffed about with cameras next to in order to bring you the above image:

So we didn't hang about.

(Ride report to be continued in the Bridges for CrinklyLion thread)

I must apologise for failing to get it moving sooner.  In the absence of a sensible plan with PB, I was totally up for taking it all the way to Milton Keynes in the hope that it could make its way onto the French Ride.  All I can say is that I got distracted by a kitten in need of rescue, and then did something horrific to my knees on the Exmouth Exodus that b0rked them for the following few days.   :(

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Shropshire
« Reply #577 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »
Should not this thing be scouting an arrondissement or two about now?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #578 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:01:10 pm »
  Any takers in Loughborough or Leicester who want to progress the baton towards That London?

Surely it should be headed towards Scotland ?

It came up through the West Country and then we whizzed it up the Borders following the standard LEJOG general direction.  If we'd wanted a diversion it could have gone to Brest :(

Quote from: OP
It doesn't need to go via the shortest route (in fact I'd insist it came via me in Hampshire somehow) and it doesn't need to be done quickly (it could take years and include every YACFer in the UK if need be).
Bang on course, then  ;)

Well, almost ...

It's a bit late now.    :'(

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #579 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »
If plans don't work out, I'm going to have to attempt to ride to Mildenhall to hand the baton over to anyone who's wearing the right jersey.  Which will be a big ask.  111 miles.

If I fail in that ride, is it OK to admit failure, and resort to Public Transport to get home, and then re-start the baton delivery all over again?  Otherwise I'll have to hide the baton under a rock near the relevant railway station, or in the care of station master/policeman/shopkeeper/pub landlord.

Volunteers for the next leg gratefully received.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #580 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »
Worst case, I'd have thought Wobbly John should be able to take it...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #581 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:17:13 pm »
Gordy's camping w/e is only 10 days from now.  Can you get it there, or can you get it to someone who is going there and can pass it on?

Warning:  Could involve another pass through Mordor.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #582 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
Gordy's camping w/e is only 10 days from now.  Can you get it there, or can you get it to someone who is going there and can pass it on?

That's a plan.  The baton might just get abandoned on someone's doorstep in a little basket, disguised as a kitteh full of TEH CUTE.

Paging Jogler...

OR, given that he's riding there from Derby on Friday, Paging Luke...

« Reply #583 on: 25 August, 2011, 08:06:38 am »

If this helps I shall be at Gordy's. On 16th Sept  I will be catching train to Scotland to ride via Ardnamurchan, NW and N coast to Dunnet Head. Although I have no plans to go on to JOG I could do so if you have no better route for the baton.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #584 on: 25 August, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »
If this helps I shall be at Gordy's. On 16th Sept  I will be catching train to Scotland to ride via Ardnamurchan, NW and N coast to Dunnet Head. Although I have no plans to go on to JOG I could do so if you have no better route for the baton.
Nooo!!!  The whole point AIUI is that the Baton itself must never go by motorised transport (with the possible exception of ferries where no cyclable bridge/tunnel is provided).  It's like the Ring and Eagles.  Or something.

But feel free to ride with the baton to some other YACFer and drop it off with them - then take the train home again.

« Reply #585 on: 25 August, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »
Looking at the Google Maps volunteer page, Jogler, TonyCollinet, Hulver & pdm all live within their preferred distance of Rower40's current location and are in a general JoG direction.

You could PM them to ask if they want to meet half-way or even collect it from you...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #586 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
The story in picture form:

I met Gerwinium and Kim at the junction-of-the-many-signposts:

then we performed the ritual of the handover in the shadow of Ratcliffe-under-AcidRain Power station:

After crossing Wilford bridge in That Nottingham, I pondered which category toll we should have been charged:

As we were debating the best way of getting Kim's and Gerwinium's mileage (?) to above 100km (?), I had to take a photo of this rather natty Brommie:

We proceeded downstream along the Trent to bag a few more bridges:
First, the Streetmachine resting in front of the one we'd just crossed (and not paid any toll for)

The recently-refurbished Suspension Bridge:

And the original and best Trent Bridge, with the view unfortunately dominated by a fupball ground. The eponymous cricket ground is hiding behind the white block of flats (or the block of white flats).

Fast-Forward a week or two, and I arranged to meet Luke at Derby station.  I was lurking outside the lift as he emerged.

(He's faking the smile.)

I await with interest any information as to where it goes next...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #587 on: 02 September, 2011, 06:14:35 pm »
I've just noticed it sitting amongst the cakes in Gordy's garden.

« Reply #588 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »
Surely it's coming South with Wow to do an Essex-Suffolk-Norfolk tour?
It needs to go on a MEMWNS ride, shirley?

« Reply #589 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:25:04 pm »
Fuckin' 'ell, Luke's gone feral!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #590 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »
Surely it's coming South with Wow to do an Essex-Suffolk-Norfolk tour?
It needs to go on a MEMWNS ride, shirley?

Absolutely!

And don't call me Shirley!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #591 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
No not Wowbager.  Trains not allowed.

« Reply #592 on: 02 September, 2011, 11:24:09 pm »
s'a bit rich coming from you, wild hairy man o the hills

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Staffs
« Reply #593 on: 02 September, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »
Perhaps I should send Jan back with the luggage and ride home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Staffs
« Reply #594 on: 03 September, 2011, 08:28:20 am »
Perhaps I should send Jan back with the luggage and ride home.

Good idea!  We East Anglians need that baton, you're our only hope it would appear!

« Reply #595 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:32:09 am »
...edging nearer London, then.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #596 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:08:00 pm »
It's been transported by two more people today, and was last seen with a Crinklycub...
Getting there...

« Reply #597 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »
I've just noticed it sitting amongst the cakes in Gordy's garden.

Gordy has cake plants?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #598 on: 03 September, 2011, 09:41:21 pm »
s'a bit rich coming from you, wild hairy man o the hills

;D

I've done and gone and had a shave.  Bit late, really.

YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Shropshire
« Reply #599 on: 04 September, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
WTF am I supposed to do with this frakkin piece of wood I appear to have acquired ?  My next planned cycling venture is by train & ferry to foreign fields....

I was at JOG but earlier in the year, and a train was involved. What are the baton roolz ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark