Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475216 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4075 on: 18 September, 2022, 02:38:22 pm »
On a more minor note. Another precious weekend day wasted cos I daren't stray too far from the toilet.  :-\

Sympathies. Last ride I did I only just made it to the cludge before exploding.  Bloody metformin.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4076 on: 18 September, 2022, 04:49:59 pm »
I have no idea what my excuse is but it seems to be occurring more regularly. Maybe I need to keep a diary of my dodgy poos too see if they are linked to something I'm eating.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4077 on: 18 September, 2022, 04:56:45 pm »
Best wishes for your recovery, De Sisti.

It wasn’t until I’d had keyholes (minor stuff by comparison to your op) that I realised just how much work your abdominal muscles are doing when you are walking without one being aware of it. Most noticeable when walking downhill, I recall.

« Reply #4078 on: 02 October, 2022, 09:35:18 pm »
Abdominal wounds are horrible. Hope you don't get a post op cough, that just adds insult to injury.

Yesterday evening it felt like there was an AAA battery stuck under the first joint of my big toe (and it was a bit sore). This morning that sensation was gone, but now I have giant black/purple bruise-like effects, on the inside and outside of the toe. It seems to move ok, so I'm kinda confused. I'll probably send pictures to the doctors tomorrow and see what happens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4079 on: 03 October, 2022, 12:47:55 pm »
This morning My Dear Wife and I went to the chemist's and were jabbed with anti-flu.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4080 on: 03 October, 2022, 01:16:36 pm »
This morning My Dear Wife and I went to the chemist's and were jabbed with anti-flu.

Aye, we've got vouchers for same but our previous doc always said to leave it until November because the flu doesn't really get under way until December or even January, so if you get it done too early it might wear off before the end of the season.

Heard on the radio this morning that the next wave of Covid shots are becoming available. We'll not be eligible for ours before mid-December.

« Reply #4081 on: 03 October, 2022, 03:18:56 pm »

It wasn’t until I’d had keyholes (minor stuff by comparison to your op) that I realised just how much work your abdominal muscles are doing when you are walking without one being aware of it. Most noticeable when walking downhill, I recall.
Staples (from the incisions) were removed last Monday, along with the catheter. Virtually no abdominal strength. One of the nurses advised me to refrain from strenuous exercises for about 12 weeks (so the abdominal nerve endings that were severed during the procedure can heal; that means no cycling or indoor rowing. Never mind, on the bright side, my weight is down to 11st 2lbs. The lightest I've been since my late teens/early 20s. It may have something to do with my loss of appetite.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4082 on: 05 October, 2022, 09:54:01 pm »

Staples (from the incisions) were removed last Monday, along with the catheter. Virtually no abdominal strength. One of the nurses advised me to refrain from strenuous exercises for about 12 weeks (so the abdominal nerve endings that were severed during the procedure can heal; that means no cycling or indoor rowing. Never mind, on the bright side, my weight is down to 11st 2lbs. The lightest I've been since my late teens/early 20s. It may have something to do with my loss of appetite.

Just over 3 years on from my laparotomy for my emergency surgery for a twisted bowel (no GP, it wasn't IBS as you thought), and I still get occasional mild  twinges from the scar... 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4083 on: 06 October, 2022, 12:57:43 pm »
Twinges... I came off the bike in 2002, breaking my collar-bone and doing a lot of soft-tissue damage into the bargain. The clavicle healed; as to the rest:  Our brush-cutter took half an hour to start this morning, and after half an hour massacring our front jungle my right wrist, shoulder and a point just below and to the left my shoulder blade were screaming - all souvenirs from the crash.  Not doing any more without a wrist support at least.

« Reply #4084 on: 06 October, 2022, 07:47:50 pm »
 I realised that I have significant damage to my left pectoralis major following my clavicle fracture since I included arms in my strength training.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4085 on: 07 October, 2022, 06:23:49 am »
Left shoulder dislocation in my late teens has left that one functionally weaker than the other when it comes to lifting things overhead etc, and a definite misalignment.

Stable fracture of the pelvis made me realise just how much we depend on that area for anything g from just sitting still to any kind of movement, everything ultimately connects through here. I'm still feeling the effects 4 years later mostly related to L/R and front/back imbalance from compensating for it initially
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4086 on: 12 October, 2022, 03:03:59 pm »
So, here I am in A&E following a strange episode at work today. I realised that I was struggling to read lines on websites. I have a very distant history of migraine and more or less knew this was one of my symptoms. I headed over to the main office on my Brompton, but once I got there I simply couldn't speak coherently and I couldn't even think of the words I wanted to say. Very weird. I put my feet up and got tingly hands, which was another symptom I used to have. Work have erred on the side of caution and have taken me to hospital, but I now feel much better, despite a mild headache. The question now is whether I want to wait six hours here to be seen. Probably not... Strange how migraine can wait 30 years to be triggered.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4087 on: 12 October, 2022, 03:36:26 pm »
So, here I am in A&E following a strange episode at work today. I realised that I was struggling to read lines on websites. I have a very distant history of migraine and more or less knew this was one of my symptoms. I headed over to the main office on my Brompton, but once I got there I simply couldn't speak coherently and I couldn't even think of the words I wanted to say. Very weird. I put my feet up and got tingly hands, which was another symptom I used to have. Work have erred on the side of caution and have taken me to hospital, but I now feel much better, despite a mild headache. The question now is whether I want to wait six hours here to be seen. Probably not... Strange how migraine can wait 30 years to be triggered.

Sympathies!

I likewise have few migraines and accompanying headache can be pretty mild.

Had a similar episode in my 20s. Could only read 2 letters on brother's school report at a time, then read he was 'flapjack' (slapdash) in his efforts.

Just last week, I saw these zigzags to my lower left with both eyes and couldn't see properly…

Didn't last long. No headache or vomiting.

I think there's a migraine optical symptoms thread somewhere...

« Reply #4088 on: 12 October, 2022, 06:22:25 pm »

Very similar to my Migraine Aura experiences, and yes there's a thread elsewhere.
Best to get it properly diagnosed.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #4089 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:08:12 pm »
Still in hospital in the Medical Decisions Unit. I've had 2 ECGs and I still have the headache, but that's what I used to get when I had a migraine. Only praise for my care so far. It's not the staff's fault they're under-resourced.

Edit: got let out at 1am, exhausted, hungry and dehydrated.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4090 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:11:46 pm »

Very similar to my Migraine Aura experiences, and yes there's a thread elsewhere.
Best to get it properly diagnosed.

I think I told my MS neurologist about a similar episode, a long while back and she agreed it was migrainous. The episodes seem self-limiting and sporadic so hardly merit much action.

It DID deter me from taking The Pill when I was younger though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4091 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:19:50 pm »

ian

« Reply #4092 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:32:33 pm »
Occasional migraines are very common (and quite mysterious). I've had three or four ever. The last one made everything go swirly. The ones before made me lose the left side of my body. I could see the left side of me, I could feel the left side of me, but it wasn't actually there. Trust me, it made as much sense to me as to you. I have to be more careful though as my brain is held together with Pritt Stick and string.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4093 on: 12 October, 2022, 09:39:39 pm »
Why have I got a solid-feeling lump just below the kneecap on the inside of my knee.
It went away.
Now it's back again.
I had a bursa slightly higher up for a few years, that has gone at least 9 months ago and this feels more solid.
I'm inclined to wait for it to go away again, but it'll be a nuisance to find it's become a semi-permanent feature as it's slightly niggly this time around.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #4094 on: 12 October, 2022, 10:07:23 pm »
The last migraine I remember having was in 1991 or 92 whilst on a summer vacation job. Mild symptoms and no major effects. I had a bout of them when I was 12 to 14. Some of them were very debilitating with nausea and severe headaches. I'm not used to sitting in front of a monitor and I have been doing so heavily the last two weeks and that may have caused it, but who knows? I don't recall the speech issues being present before and that has raised some concerns here when I was seen. TIA was mentioned, but I don't seem to have any of the history or presenting symptoms for that to be the case. Hopefully.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4095 on: 13 October, 2022, 05:30:58 pm »
While rare, if you get TIA symptoms it is worth getting them checked out even if they suspect migraine cos there are cases where people thought "just migraine" and it was a TIA or more serious cerebral issue.

I am reading Oliver Sacks's book on migraine at the moment.

« Reply #4096 on: 15 October, 2022, 09:46:08 am »
While rare, if you get TIA symptoms it is worth getting them checked out even if they suspect migraine cos there are cases where people thought "just migraine" and it was a TIA or more serious cerebral issue.

I am reading Oliver Sacks's book on migraine at the moment.
About 11pm I'd been told I could go home, but was kept waiting even longer. I had scarcely had anything to drink, nor anything to eat since breakfast, so I was very weary. I approached the doctor and told him I was heading home. He asked me not to, as the consultant had requested a CT scan. I waited for that, of course, and that gave me the all clear. I got home around 2am. The TIA clinic called me the next day and, based on my symptoms and the CT scan, aren't going to call me in.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4097 on: 15 October, 2022, 03:25:04 pm »
I'm glad you were clear of likely TIA, I know in practice *most* people will be clear, but checking is wise if difficult with no access to food/drink in A&E.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4098 on: 15 October, 2022, 11:23:53 pm »
I had a TIA, back in 2011, scared the hell out of me, especially as I was driving at the time! Pulled over and Sprogs called the Ambulance. I was whisked into Carlisle hospital. I've had the odd "Was that..?" since then. Mortality bites!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4099 on: 17 October, 2022, 01:55:40 pm »
Had an echocardiogram yesterday morning (yep - Addenbrookes was doing NHS OP diagnostic clinics on a Sunday morning and my appt was 8.00 a.m.).  Heart seems structurally fine.

The sonographer was a young chap from Porto.  We talked Caminos.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor