Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475098 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4425 on: 13 July, 2023, 10:01:24 am »
Just had an MRI to ascertain whether my brane had p'd off to Borneo while I wasn't looking.

GN: got the pics home on a CD
BN: dunno how to read them (natch).  There's more than a 6502 in there.

'Ere's me 'ed (viewer discretion recommended):

(click to show/hide)

<sings>
There's an 'ole in the brain,
Dear Liza, dear Liza,
An 'ole in the brain,
Dear Liza, an 'ole.

That's where the straw goes in, dear 'enry.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4426 on: 13 July, 2023, 02:03:37 pm »
You need a Dicom reader which is the medical image file.  I use either Sante Dicom lite or Osiris both of which are free.  Sante is probably easier to use.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4427 on: 13 July, 2023, 03:30:41 pm »
I'd be happy if my brain looked like that.
It doesn't...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4428 on: 13 July, 2023, 03:39:26 pm »
You need a Dicom reader which is the medical image file.  I use either Sante Dicom lite or Osiris both of which are free.  Sante is probably easier to use.

They only gave me lo-res stuff. I can zoom in with the viewer and look at the pixels but that's about it.  Quite educational though, seeking out various structures.

I've noticed that the left ventricle is quite a bit larger than the right, but I gather that asymmetry is not unusual

It doesn't...

That's glum.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4429 on: 13 July, 2023, 04:08:41 pm »
It doesn't...

My MRI Scan on the 28th of July 2020 had "a few tiny white matter high signal intensity foci considered not diagnostic for demyelination or ischaemia". Put down by my neuro as being "age related". This is despite this being the start of my neurological symptoms, ending up with an "assumed" tick box diagnosis of FND August 2022.

« Reply #4430 on: 20 July, 2023, 02:51:43 pm »
My father has hearing aids bluetoothed to his phone. Instead of him not hearing my mum because he can't hear, he now can't hear her because he's listening to something else. She *loves* this.

This is why I do a significant amount of communication with barakta via IRC when we're in the same room.

Of course, it only works if she notices the hilight/notification.  My historical work-around was a small keyring torch that lived on my desk, which I'd flash in her general direction.  (This is now superseded by a cunning row of LEDs along the back edge of her desk, which - amongst other things[1] - I can cause to light up with the right invocation.)  Failing that, and because our Victorian floorboards aren't rated for repeated shock loads so stamping-is out of the question, the back-up option is throwing things.  Which I'm notoriously bad at.

[1] The most awesome and least obvious is them doing a little chase pattern when someone  a) comes up the stairs  or  b) opens the bathroom door from the inside.  The sort of thing hearing people unthinkingly know has happened by sound, as advance warning that someone might be about to enter the room.

Tape measure used as a poking device.

« Reply #4431 on: 20 July, 2023, 02:56:27 pm »
Just had an MRI to ascertain whether my brane had p'd off to Borneo while I wasn't looking.

GN: got the pics home on a CD
BN: dunno how to read them (natch).  There's more than a 6502 in there.

'Ere's me 'ed (viewer discretion recommended):

(click to show/hide)

Was that with contrast?

Have an MRI from the top down, where I look like homer simpson in a few shots.  Was a good and bad day....seeing bits of my brain that had been starved of blood.  RIP bits of my brian.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4432 on: 20 July, 2023, 07:56:27 pm »

I believe that's on my list of things that I promised never to do again[1], on account of it being a little too effective.

[1] See also: Curing hiccups by sneaking up behind her and making myself look big (in the style of The Cat from the documentary Red Dwarf).  Worked instantly, but it took her about half an hour to get over the shock.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4433 on: 22 July, 2023, 08:19:39 am »
Back in 2011 I developed a horrible stabbing pain in my left ankle when I was 100k into a 300. Since then I've had hyaluronic injections in it and ho-hums from various doctors, all bootless (har har).  After every ride I've had pain in that ankle and what feels like tendinitis up beside the malleolus. It usually went away in a day or two.

About a month ago I bought a couple of Specialized varus wedges with a fall of about 1mm inside to outside.  Both of them in my left shoe completely relieved the pain. And made my knee hurt.  Took one out: ankle still OK and knee ache hardly noticeable.

Counting that as a win and ordering wedges for all my shoes.

« Reply #4434 on: 24 July, 2023, 08:02:54 pm »
I have snots, fever, shakes. aching limbs.
I do not have covid. (Just tested neg)
I do have the first cold I have had since the start of covid.
S'no bad for three years.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #4435 on: 24 July, 2023, 08:32:31 pm »

I'd still test again in 24hrs
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #4436 on: 24 July, 2023, 08:37:30 pm »

I'd still test again in 24hrs
I will.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4437 on: 24 July, 2023, 09:10:21 pm »
GWS anyway...

« Reply #4438 on: 25 July, 2023, 01:39:35 am »
I have snots, fever, shakes. aching limbs.
I do have the first cold I have had since the start of covid.
S'no bad for three years.

Man flu....

« Reply #4439 on: 25 July, 2023, 01:43:04 am »

I believe that's on my list of things that I promised never to do again[1], on account of it being a little too effective.

[1] See also: Curing hiccups by sneaking up behind her and making myself look big (in the style of The Cat from the documentary Red Dwarf).  Worked instantly, but it took her about half an hour to get over the shock.

Remember you mentioning that here and the video of someone else doing the tape measure poke made me giggle

Hiccups cured job jobbed. Personally i'd have laughed at the cat impression.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4440 on: 04 August, 2023, 05:11:00 pm »
Had a mini heart monitor shoved in under the skin of my chest this afternoon.  Trouble is that when it was done I was flat on my back, but I have pronounced kyphosis and when I'm sat up and relaxed the thing hurts and the dressing has a BFO bloodstain on it.  Going in again tomorrow to see what they can do about it.  A right pain in the... ribcage.

Also, my cardiologist said 3-4 days to heal, but once the (literally) bloody thing was in they told me a full week. Arse.  Oh well, they can always plead expedience.

« Reply #4441 on: 04 August, 2023, 05:41:46 pm »
That sounds bloody uncomfortable.

My random is eyesight.
Went in for annual 'count the dots' glaucoma test.
Technician couldn't give an automatic all clear (even I could see missing areas from across the room), so she called optician in the check.

She ummed and aah'd a bit, and decided that I'd be ok for another 12 month.

Two hours later phoned back and said they want me back in 6 month's time, for much more extensive testing.

Blast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4442 on: 05 August, 2023, 02:45:33 pm »
Bloodily uncomfortable is right.

Anyway, I drove in and had the dressing changed & the closures reinforced this morning, then MrsT & I went round the shops a bit and had lunch in our favourite Thai/Viet/Chinese place. Damned device started to hurt soon after I sat down and got worse the longer I sat. By the time we got home it looked like this ( :sick: warning):

(click to show/hide)

Looks like a haematoma to my ignorant eye. Oh jolly.

Qu to anyone in the know: does it need further medical attention?  Might it be grounds for getting the bothersome thing removed forthwith? (Please say yes.)

« Reply #4443 on: 05 August, 2023, 05:32:46 pm »
cannot really see enough to be certain.

Any temperature, feeling sick, raised pulse?

« Reply #4444 on: 05 August, 2023, 08:49:12 pm »
Since my return to physical activity (in Nov 2022) from my radical prostatectomy operation
(Sept 2022) I've had a sharp pain in my right glute. I've been active all my life and have
never had that sort of pain before, but can't honestly put it down to the effects of the operation.

I've tried pidgeon stretch, but that hasn't helped. I'm going to try a massage gun to see if it will
make things better.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4445 on: 06 August, 2023, 07:42:03 am »
cannot really see enough to be certain.

Any temperature, feeling sick, raised pulse?

No, feeling fine thanks Chris.  Now thinking that it's due to the surface wound having knit sufficiently and/or enough steristrips having been applied to keep the blood inside, but my belly fat, whereof I have a disgraceful surplus, being shoved up by my belt and pushing the device around a bit under the skin, causing subcutaneous bleeding.  Paunch-reduction procedures have now been initiated and I've switched to braces.

« Reply #4446 on: 10 August, 2023, 07:51:46 am »
2 days into holiday I am hit by major virus. LFT negative but wiped out completely. This going to be a problem as we came north for FiL’s 90th birthday with a load of other oldies plus brother in law who is suffering from major complications of cardiac ablation.

What could possibly go wrong?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4447 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:25:52 am »
So you end up wrong whether you stay away or not and have the pleasure of the virus in both cases. Sympathies.

« Reply #4448 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:02:14 am »
10 days ago I broke a tooth. A large chunk of porcelain right down to the gum came off the back on an upper molar, the only one I have left on that side. It wasnt painful so I left it until I could get a 1/2hr appointment just in case.  Went in at 09:00, back out at 09:10. Apparently it was a chuck of white filling, and easily patched up. £25 as I'm lucky enough to get NHS treatment. Result!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4449 on: 11 August, 2023, 07:20:17 am »
It's not looking as if I actually have any underlying heart problems or asthma.  Somewhat embarrassingly, I think it's general anxiety disorder.  All the symptoms fit, as does the timing (it vanished for a week on holiday and returned on the very day we flew back).

There's no feeling of not being able to cope - it's purely physical symptoms.  Previously, it has subsided as quickly as it appeared.  I shall be making major changes to my lifestyle this time next year anyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.