Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475198 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4475 on: 31 August, 2023, 05:40:16 pm »
Bah. Small tear in retina. Doc - “That warrants laser treatment” Me - “When?”  Doc - “Today, it might be a long wait”. So I’ve been here 3 hours, it’s 17:30 and my wife’s gone home. Oh joy. I think I’ll call in sick tomorrow.

ETA. Laser didn’t work, too much blood in the way. So had to have cryo-surgery instead. I’ll Google it later. Definitely type 2 fun! And I still can’t see shit, time will take care of the blood eventually. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4476 on: 02 September, 2023, 03:44:39 pm »
Hope time gets a bloody move on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4477 on: 02 September, 2023, 05:28:48 pm »
Hope time gets a bloody move on.

Apparently it tends to clear up at 1% per day - so 2-3 months to totally go. Or you can have it sucked out and replaced…..   

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4478 on: 03 September, 2023, 08:41:04 am »
Not an attractive proposition either way. :(

« Reply #4479 on: 03 September, 2023, 06:56:23 pm »
That sounds scary. Hope procedure goes well
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4480 on: 04 September, 2023, 07:28:40 am »
back to work today and I have been up all night with the runs.. Oh joy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4481 on: 04 September, 2023, 07:59:06 am »
Sorry, Chris, but my dodgy eyes read that as nuns.

« Reply #4482 on: 04 September, 2023, 09:03:54 pm »
At my long over due eye test I found out why, when cycling/walking into a head or cross wind, I often get something in my eye which is very difficult to clear away. My eye lids have some dry flaky skin. You can buy eye lid wipes from the chemist.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4483 on: 04 September, 2023, 11:50:46 pm »
You can buy eye lid wipes from the chemist.

If you buy the ones that work on waterproof mascara, they helpfully double as a way to get chain schmoo off your hands after a mechanical.

« Reply #4484 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:12:16 am »
Wipes for blepharitis are not makeup removal wipes (are they??)

« Reply #4485 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:40:47 am »
I was told to use cotton pads. Seem to work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4486 on: 05 September, 2023, 12:25:55 pm »

Yeah, they'll do. Heated eye mask to soften the occluding material, then wipe it out/off/away.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4487 on: 05 September, 2023, 02:49:02 pm »
Up & down a ladder half yesterday morning and all of the afternoon, too busy to drink more than half a litre. Cramp in calves, ileotib pain and a very nasty hip pain after this morning's ride.  Thoughts of arthritis.  :(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4488 on: 05 September, 2023, 04:40:38 pm »
I had my long term conditions review last week.  I asked for a thyroid function test, as I know there's an issue (I'd had a test privately) and I haven't had a test for a couple of years (I've asked for the test but my request was rejected by my old GP who told me I was imagining things and that the test I'd had wasn't valid).  Luckily the the LTC nurse listened and arranged for the test.

The results cam in over the weekend and yesterday (I can see them at the same time the GP gets them).

I had a text from the practice today saying my results are 'abnormal' and being reviewed by a GP, who will be in touch.

Now... next time I say I think there's an issue, perhaps they will believe me?!?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4489 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:04:09 pm »
You can buy eye lid wipes from the chemist.

If you buy the ones that work on waterproof mascara, they helpfully double as a way to get chain schmoo off your hands after a mechanical.

These are liquid paraffin wipes.

I would expect blepharitis wipes to be water/saline based.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4490 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:06:04 pm »

I don't think so,
(See upthread.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4491 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:06:32 pm »
I'd be nice to believe "I told you so" got GPs to listen if they don't wanna in the first place (I'm lucky, I have the kind of GPs who apologise if they get it wrong before I have a chance to anything and usually they're following protocol which they have to try first)...

Regulator

« Reply #4492 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:17:19 pm »
I'd be nice to believe "I told you so" got GPs to listen if they don't wanna in the first place (I'm lucky, I have the kind of GPs who apologise if they get it wrong before I have a chance to anything and usually they're following protocol which they have to try first)...

I'm a bit annoyed by the old GP's dismissal.  Despite everything, I'm not a frequent flyer* and, although the test I had was done privately, it was actually processed at an NHS trust rather than a private lab**.

The new LTC nurse and my new named GP seem a lot better at listening.

*Although a little more frequent that I'd like due to the heart issue.
** Not that I'm saying there's an issue with private labs.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4493 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:57:12 am »
I have a midge bite (I think) under my eyelid.

Currently looking like a victim of domestic abuse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4494 on: 06 September, 2023, 08:48:51 am »

Apropos of nothing much, whilst I was waiting to be seen at the emergency eye clinic (reasons above somewhere) a patient before me emerged from their consultation, and said to their companion "it isn't the stitch, I have a cold sore in my eye".

« Reply #4495 on: 06 September, 2023, 08:54:10 am »
I came across a minor accessibility issue yesterday. Because of the number of floaters in my left ey, I found it easier to switch me Outlook to a dark grey theme, so white text on dark background. Then I tried reading a Word doc, which for whatever reason has also changed to a dark theme (classic Microsoft) and was unable to do so with the first page due to white "tiger stripes" running across it.  Switched to the normal view and notice there are subtle pale grey stripes on the original template.

Regulator

« Reply #4496 on: 06 September, 2023, 11:37:07 am »
GP phoned.  They'd like to see me today, and I need to have some additional blood tests done tomorrow, before they go back to the Endocrinology team at Addenbrookes.

I don't think it's anything serious - I think they're just being cautious as I should have had a follow test last year and it wasn't arranged.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4497 on: 06 September, 2023, 11:58:47 am »

Apropos of nothing much, whilst I was waiting to be seen at the emergency eye clinic (reasons above somewhere) a patient before me emerged from their consultation, and said to their companion "it isn't the stitch, I have a cold sore in my eye".
There are some things that really don't bear thinking about!  Poor them!

Hope the various eye maladies clear up well.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4498 on: 06 September, 2023, 12:49:04 pm »
I came across a minor accessibility issue yesterday. Because of the number of floaters in my left ey, I found it easier to switch me Outlook to a dark grey theme, so white text on dark background. Then I tried reading a Word doc, which for whatever reason has also changed to a dark theme (classic Microsoft) and was unable to do so with the first page due to white "tiger stripes" running across it.  Switched to the normal view and notice there are subtle pale grey stripes on the original template.

Bane of my fucking life is bad backgrounds in documents.

I routinely make documents have a green background which helps my trippy vision/migraines but often people use horrid templates which prevent those working properly or have nonsense in the background which is then a pain to hunt down and delete with extreme prejudice.

Also everyone is moving to Sharepoint inna web browser where I can't change the colours. I have a OneDrive sync with ShitPoint hack so I can still use the file explorer and desktop apps properly but it is cranky and I need to raise it at work's accessibility committee that has cancelled 10 of the last meetings and if they cancel next week's I will snark.

« Reply #4499 on: 07 September, 2023, 03:28:06 pm »
back to work today and I have been up all night with the runs.. Oh joy.
Started metronidazole yesterday which almost instantly stopped the runs. Spent yesterday in bed. Did one teams meeting then spent all day on the couch.
Absolutely exhausted.